hey guys. my band is just one guitarist (me). i just wanted to ask if you had any suggestions as to making the songs more interesting. the songs get really repetitive and boring at times. any comments are good. thanks.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Try changing key, between rythme and lead, tempo, time signature, dynamics, effects, and anything else you can think of during the song. There are limitless possibilities
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
hmm... another guitarist?
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
well when you are playing you can change the chords up kinda like this type of thing

e-2
b-3
g-2
d-0 you can play that d chord then change it to this

e-3
b-3
g-2
d-0

i do that a lot when i play by myself

also you can get the bassist to do some harmonies with you like paul gilbert and billy sheehan. or he can change the bassline at some parts.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You might be interested in Jose Gonzalez or Raul Midon to see what one man and his guitar can do, you didn't say whether you sing or whether you're playing electric or acoustic. Acoustically I would suggest looking into body slaps and purcussive strums to emulate a drum sound, I suppose it floats around the flamenco guitar realm, and remember to put a clear bass line through your songs, you may need to 'move' notes out the way to make the bass line obvious. Also remember than when playing repetative songs that slight variations can keep things interesting.
if your in a punk/powerchord style band then you should be ok, but if you want leads and rthyms, yur going to need to get anotehr guitrists, or use your bassist.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
one word.....

yoursingerisgay
My Gear:
Washburn Lyon Tele Copy
ESP LTD MH250NT
Samick D7-CE :
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Peavy Renown Solo Series Amp
Quote by mitch155
one word.....

yoursingerisgay

haha. hes not. we get that a lot though.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
That's surprisingly good - no offence to you with the surprisingly, but some guys post their stuff and it's dire - there's not much more you can do to that without changing the whole sound of the band.

I mean, if you're looking at a more rock-y sound with solos, get another guitarist. If you want lead riffs over bass you'll end up sounding considerably less punk-y, unless you do riffs like the intro riff to Dammit (Blink 182) or Dammit I Changed Again (The Offspring) (lol on the titles).

You look like you have a pretty decent pop-punky outfit there. I have nothing against pop-punk and that statement's not derogatory, I like your stuff a lot. Just keep the chord sequences coming and play about with some funky rhythms and you don't need to do that much extra.

EDIT: Like the bit in the second verse (I think) where it (the guitar) goes higher, keep that kinda stuff, but don't over do it. It sounds good but if it was like that all the way through it wouldn't be. But I'm sure you know that.

Someone who thinks it's crap feel free to flame me, but tbh for the stuff he's playing I don't think there's much more he can do without having a genre-shift.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
Last edited by Circus at Jul 29, 2006,
Quote by Circus
That's surprisingly good - no offence to you with the surprisingly, but some guys post their stuff and it's dire - there's not much more you can do to that without changing the whole sound of the band.

I mean, if you're looking at a more rock-y sound with solos, get another guitarist. If you want lead riffs over bass you'll end up sounding considerably less punk-y, unless you do riffs like the intro riff to Dammit (Blink 182) or Dammit I Changed Again (The Offspring) (lol on the titles).

You look like you have a pretty decent pop-punky outfit there. I have nothing against pop-punk and that statement's not derogatory, I like your stuff a lot. Just keep the chord sequences coming and play about with some funky rhythms and you don't need to do that much extra.

Someone who thinks it's crap feel free to flame me, but tbh for the stuff he's playing I don't think there's much more he can do without having a genre-shift.

wow dude, thanks! we are looking for another guitarist, so hopefully the sound will be better. i appreciate your comment.
Quote by NeverMeant
Just make sure you're well co-ordinated

And, this is just a recommendation for if you want to stay in your style, but in the main of the verses (excluding the cool little riffy bit I mentioned in my edit that you do in the second verse), keep the guitar parts the same in the verses. It'll *probably* (I could be madly wrong, so feel free to try it, but still...) sound too cluttered with guitar chords, a guitar riff and vocals all going about.

No problem, dude. Btw, I'm gonna friend your MySpace. Come check my stuff out if you have time, it's just me and an acoustic guitar (so it's a bit different to you ), but still.

Quote by Rikifield
i dunno, maybe another someone might like. its different than the other song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnjyg8zbd4U&search=the%20final%20stretch

i did write some leads for this song when the whole bands kicks in, i dont play them becasue then it would sound to empty w/o another guitar.
Quote by NeverMeant
Look to other good 3 piece or single guitar bands for inspiration. Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Motley Crue, Wolfmother, Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, Nirvana, etc etc etc. Also realize that a lot of bands that only have one guitar player double track there studio recordings so it sounds like they have another guitar playing rhythm behind it. The live versions will sound a little different and sometimes the solos are played differently. Try listening to live versions of songs to see what they sound like just to give you an idea. CDs are very doctored up.

When you go into a lead it would be good to have the lead singer play the chords you are playing over on the keyboard so it doesnt sound like the band is dropping out. he doesnt even need to be good at playing as long as he can play some simple chords to add some fullness.
i like your stuff too, your gunna have to record some tracks so you can put them up on your myspace.....i'll add ya too....
My Gear:
Washburn Lyon Tele Copy
ESP LTD MH250NT
Samick D7-CE :
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Peavy Renown Solo Series Amp
Quote by Circus
Just make sure you're well co-ordinated

And, this is just a recommendation for if you want to stay in your style, but in the main of the verses (excluding the cool little riffy bit I mentioned in my edit that you do in the second verse), keep the guitar parts the same in the verses. It'll *probably* (I could be madly wrong, so feel free to try it, but still...) sound too cluttered with guitar chords, a guitar riff and vocals all going about.

No problem, dude. Btw, I'm gonna friend your MySpace. Come check my stuff out if you have time, it's just me and an acoustic guitar (so it's a bit different to you ), but still.

cool! thanks, and we will try what you told me when we practice today. ill probably like ur stuff, we are into a lot of things. anything having to do with music, we will most likely like.
Quote by NeverMeant
I like the piano song, it's a nice chillout.

Just hit the bit where the drums kick in. Erm. I don't mind the heaviness on the guitar at all, but please please PLEASE tell him to lay off the cymbals. It sounds awful.

Thanks

Quote by Rikifield
Quote by mitch155
i like your stuff too, your gunna have to record some tracks so you can put them up on your myspace.....i'll add ya too....

awesome! thanks.
Quote by NeverMeant
I can't hear your soungs cos my sounds not working, but look at some classic rock bands who only had one guitar. e.g jimi hendrix experience, cream and zeppelin in particular, look how they make their songs interesting. A good way is to play lead bt with kindof rhythem to it so maybe play a chord at the start of the bar and then for the rest of it play it as an arpeggio or play lead lines with plenty of double stops and things like that.
Try to keep a steady groove. Do fills, and improvise sometimes. Switch it up a bit.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
It may not be your thing, but look up The Fall Of Troy.

They only have one guitarist, but Thom is amazing, he basically combines elements of rhythm playing and lead playing.

He sings/screams at the same time too. Incredible stuff.

It's fairly easy to play on guitar, but so effective.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

One of my bands has switched to one guitar (me) and it has made the music less boring, at least to me.

With just three musicians, it has become easier for us to really go off and try new tempos or keys during jams, without worrying about losing someone.

There are already a good number of ideas, but try jamming with nothing in mind and see where you go. Pick up your guitar without any preconceived notion of what you will do, and see where you go. Get some kind of pattern going, and then the bassist will catch on, then the drummer, and you can run with it. Make sure if you're going to change it to make eye contact.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
as to make you playing sound fuller- use lots of dynamics. I sometimes play rhythm and the vocal melody at the same time. Play two parts at once. I can play 2/3 (not quite fluent with all 3) guitarparts to somewhere I belong by linkin park at the same time. if you're into harder stuff, i also play the harmonized guitar part to unholy confessions. Start by learning to play the vocal and rhythm part to somthing like top of the world by aar at the same time. Tip 2: use a droped tuning(D, Db, C etc.). It makes ninths a breeze and allows you to focus on both the rhythm parts and the extra "FLAVOR" notes at the same time without annihilating your fingers.
Quote by sloppyjoe109

No, the intro to the first one you posted souds EXACTLY like pride in the name of love. the song i'm referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0u7397gtA&search=u2%20name%20of%20love lol
hahaha. i guess so.
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by mitch155
one word.....

yoursingerisgay

why'd u think that? axle rose did a great job in november rain...the song wouldn't sound so good without his piano...u look great with your keyboard/piano if u play it with style
Quote by Dabey
why'd u think that? axle rose did a great job in november rain...the song wouldn't sound so good without his piano...u look great with your keyboard/piano if u play it with style

cool!
Quote by NeverMeant
yah..if ur a good enough guitarist it should be no probs. Just be a bit more dominant. I make a big enough sound to fill the room by myself. If u wanna see other bands that do it well, look at dry kill logic or sepultura. Those guys have such a bit sound using just one guitarist.
You seem to be doing an alright job, let your bassplayer handle the root note and think about your own part. Even though your playing punk, using the third of the chord and using suspensions and clashes can often fill out your sound better than just power chords.

Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you.