What do you think the better way of writing songs is? Sitting down and writing, or just jamming for 3 hours straight and see what comes out. I think theres a problem with the first one because the songs become really standard. But the second one could get a litle messy. How does your band do it?
Ah get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
my band hasn't all been together yet but me (lead guitar), my friend (vocals/guitar), and my other friend(bass) just jam. we just make stuff up in our head when we do it and make rythyms and play and if we like them we write them down.
One person comes up with something like a riff or solo and others fill it out.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
i usually make up song riff's and chords on my guitar, work with it and make a song, and the drums and bass add their stuff in the mix later on, then usually we'll add lyrics
lawlkyle
i (lead guitar) usually write the songs then my buddy writes the rhythm parts to it. that or we come up with a riff and just add stuff on till it sounds good
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
i smash my guitar. then cry. then i buy a new guitar. cry at the sight of the price. write a song about my old guitar. cry from the memories. then i bring to my band. and they cry because im so dumb.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I sit with my guitar unplugged and just write lyrics and then figure out some music to go with it. After then just alter the lyrics to fit better and then just take it to the band and see what they think.
I don't "jam" with people anymore. Sure I might sit in with a band or they'll sit in with mine, but I no longer get a group of random drifters together. It's a waste of time for me. As for songwriting, with a band I usually like taking 1 or 2 other members with me to a room and then having an electric, acoustic, and keyboard in place along with something to write lyrics down on. I NEVER like writing with a full band in the room because it's too many people. After a song is written with my co-writers, we then take it to the rest of the band and they can work on what parts they are feeling and how they want the arrangement to go.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
^^ Agreed. Also consider writing something TO the lyrics, considering the 'feel' the lyrics need, rhythm and hooks, etc. That's been how my band has come up with some of my favorite songs.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
I plug up and come up with the main riffs and chord progressions, call up Veronica (the other guitarist), and we finish it up. Then the rest of the band is called in.
Our band has only made a little bit of stuff. We start with me making a beat then everybody else fill in and thats how we made a intro to a song and now we are working on the next part of the song...
My band, I or someone else comes in with something, and we take off from there, and as for solos, I write mine last, and harmonized parts too, that way they require no tweaking to fit the song.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
i pretty much write everything and teach it to everyone else in one of my bands, in my other one the singer programs all of the electronic stuff and i think of riffs for it the bassist does his thing ans so does the keyboardist.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
One of the three of us comes up with a musical idea, and shows it to me. I put it into a midi file on my computer, then I add on rough ideas for, say, the drums and the bass, if the original part was for the guitar. We then send the midi file back and forth on our computers and play with it, usually over the course of a week or so. Once it becomes a full song, we actually play through it at a practice and tinker with it a bit more until we're happy with it.

That way, we don't crowd eachother when we're in the early stages of actually writing the song, and don't really waste any time practicing something that's going to change a lot.
Quote by Nybb
Dude, I'm going to sig myself and see if anybody notices.
I play the guitar and come up with chords, words, melody.

Then everyone else adds things.
Quote by Nybb
One of the three of us comes up with a musical idea, and shows it to me. I put it into a midi file on my computer, then I add on rough ideas for, say, the drums and the bass, if the original part was for the guitar. We then send the midi file back and forth on our computers and play with it, usually over the course of a week or so. Once it becomes a full song, we actually play through it at a practice and tinker with it a bit more until we're happy with it.

That way, we don't crowd eachother when we're in the early stages of actually writing the song, and don't really waste any time practicing something that's going to change a lot.

wow, i thought my theory was alone in its uniqueness, great minds think alike though!