Page 1 of 2
hey all, thanks to the abundance of help given to me these last few days, i have decided to embarke on my first paintjob with a tribute to my guitar hero Eddie Van Halen by painting his 5150 design on my Les Paul special II. last night i began by deconstructing my guitar. this morning i began sanding at 11 here is my guitar before:

here it is deconstructed with the bag of parts at the bottom

after 6 greuling hours of sanding (OMFG i had no idea sanding was this much of a bitch. how naive i was. i thouhgt i would knock it off in like an hour) i ended up with the front sanded, and the back almost sanded, the sides are untouched. i only had 100 grit sandpaper so that may have beena contributing factor to the time. here are some more pics of the guitar half sanded:

i accidentally sanded throuhg on a couple places, but no biggy.

all in all i am happy with my progress thus far. tommorrow i will try to have the rest sanded, and then a week of holidays, let me know what you think soo far thanks.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Last edited by g-cash14 at Jul 29, 2006,
Damn 6 hours I would have been to lazy then just rented a power sander but w/e looks good so far, are you doing any thing else other than the EVH paint job?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
what colors are you going to use for the paint job?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
putting in some new pickups, haven't decided yet on the type, and maybe some new tuning machines also, because the ones that came with it are shot.

EDIT: the regular black white and red.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

are you also going to paint the headstock?
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
i think i'll just paint it black.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

and for anyone who doesn't know what the 5150 looks like here
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

no im gonna have both pickups and a tone and volume. or will I, an interesting thought, i could just fill in the holes and save a couple of bucks, this IS just a second guitar, my main is a schecter C-1 hellraiser.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Pics don't work O_o
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
alright i think i fixed it, they seem to be working, contact me if they don't please.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

No pictures for me . Are you going to do the spray and stuff like in that 5150 pic you posted? (thats the only one that loaded for me) Or just like a standard EVH?

And what kinda PUs are you putting in it, or keeping the old ones?

Good luck!
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
like the 5150. and as for the pups, im not sure.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

I can see them.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
ya me too. ill see what i can do though. im using yahoo, maybe not so good?

EDIT: k i hope that worked, im using photobucket.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

alright, so ive noticed that the parts that i sanded through on, are making valleys in the guitar, just slight ones, you can't see thm but you can definately feel them. im wondering, should i sand everyhting down, to the wood, or can i just leave it, will it affect the look that much?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

UPDATE: i finaly got hold of some 60 grit sandpaper, and a power sander. i sanded the rest of the body down with that, and then smoothed the entire body (whilst retaining the sealer coat becasue i don't want to seal it again.)with 120 grit sand paper. it's as smooth as a guitar sanded down with 120 grit sandpaper. however, im leaving to go on a week of holidays, and can't spray until i get back, so that makes me sad. and also, i can't get pics because my bro has the camera, so you'll have to wait until i get back, sorry.

here is a pic of the back when i finished sanding it, i sanded through again on the side.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Last edited by g-cash14 at Aug 9, 2006,
UPDATE: hey all, i just got back from my holiday and went to Candian tire right away to get the rest of my supplies. i got primer, paint, and clear (all krylon brand), 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, tack clothes, a cool gun attachment that turns a spray can into a spray gun, and painter's tape. i fashioned a handle for the guitar out of an old stick of wood we had lying around. i then wiped down the surface and primed. 6 coats and 2 cans of primer later i was left with this.

i chose brown primer because it was the darkest colour they had and i want a darker finish on the guitar. i am in the process of spraying the guitar white right now, i may be finished later in the night.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

UPDATE: hey, i finished spraying the white the other night, and waited till the next day to put the tape on. after i put the tape on i sprayed the guitar banner red, which turned out a lot better than i thought it would. i removed the tape and was left with a gorgeous red a white striped job. here's some pics:

after i sprayed white and put the tape on, i forgot to take pictures of the guitar in plain white.

after i sprayed red.

after removing the tape i was left with this.

i am now in the process of spraying the black stripes. i may be finished tonight sometime. let me know what you guys think
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

thats sweet as guitar man awesome job post sum more pics soon!!
ibanez rg 270

spider III 210
are you gonna leave the paint in the neck pocket or are you going to sand it off?
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Thats looks really great, nice clean lines. I was wondering the same thing as him ^ though, the neck might not fit right with the paint in the pocket
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
Wow, I never thought I'd make an exception to 2 of my rules in one day!

I normally hate EVH replicas (because they've been done too many times, and look kinda cheesy to me) but I'm really liking the paintjob on an LP. Personally, I would have sprayed the black before the red (as red is the dominant color) but, whatever, it'll all work out. Are you going to relic this like EVH's?
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
1) i actually did the smart thing and put masking tape in the neck pocket, i feared the same as the both of you.

2) the reason i did the black last was because the black covers everything including the red.

3) i have absolutely no idea how to relic something, this is my first EVER painting project, and i don't really care for the relic stuff anyway.

4) and what was your second exception?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Looks great dude, those lines are nice and clean. How many coats have you done for each colour?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
6 coats.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Quote by g-cash14
1) i actually did the smart thing and put masking tape in the neck pocket, i feared the same as the both of you.

2) the reason i did the black last was because the black covers everything including the red.

3) i have absolutely no idea how to relic something, this is my first EVER painting project, and i don't really care for the relic stuff anyway.

4) and what was your second exception?

second exception was ippon's (I believe) Crash style stratocaster.

But very, very nice man.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
UPDATE: sorry it took me so long to bring you guys another update. i painted it black, realised that i hadn't pressed the tape into a good enough seal, and got some major bleed throuhg of the black. i then retaped all of the white and black stripes in order to respray the red, to get rid of the black bleed through on the red. then i taped up the red and black parts to respray the white to get rid of the black. anyways i think i have come away with a very good looking guitar IMO. i put down 7 coats of moderately thick clear coat, but am thinking of getting more because i have done 6 coats of each collour, and the 6 coats have raised that colour from the colour below it so i have differences in height between the colours going from white being the base, to red elevated maybe a milimeter from that and black elevated another milimeter from the red. so if i clear it enough i can just sand down the clear coat to even it out. of course i may just leave it as it is, sand it to give it a mirror shine and wax it. i dont have a buffer and i live in canada so what products would i use to get rid of the high grit scratches? suggestions are needed. and lastly PICS!

the nast bleed through

and with the clear coat, and repainted. shiny.

GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Bump.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Last edited by g-cash14 at Aug 22, 2006,
im just waiting on some more clear coat i've decided to get two more cans to get thicker and sand down flat before i buff.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

i guess it's been long enouhg, i forgot this thread was even still here. well here is the guitar, wired up and ready to go.

GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Nice
Gear:
Epiphone LP Zakk Wylde Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Epiphone LP Standard w/ Duncan '59 and Burstbucker 3
Washburn N2 w/ Bill Lawrence L500
Takamine 535 a/e
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50
Randall Jaguar Cab
A slew of pedals
Page 1 of 2