Page 1 of 2
what is your favorite metal/rock tuning? i searched but didnt find anything like this.
just want some new ideas, been in drop d forever..gets boring, i cant go TOO low cuzz i only ahve ghs boomers 10 guage
R.I.P. DIMEBAG Put this in your sig to keep DIMEBAG's memory alive

Silvertone Revolver guitar
B.C. Rich Warlock Deluxe Series
Dixon Acoustic
Silvertone Smart III Electric Guitar Amp
Give D and Drop C an try
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
EADGBe
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i have done the drop d...gets old...OOOH! you mena normal D...yeh i have tried Drop C too...it cool whatelse?

Dixon Acoustic
ok....^^

Dixon Acoustic
Quote by Teleprompters
the best tuning for metal......is none at all!!!

Was that supposed to be funny because you're hilarious.

The best tuning is standard or a half step down. I hate all this down-tuned crap.
Std tuned down one whole step.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Standard or half-step for sure, only go lower if you're gonna groove me like Kyuss or Queens of the Stone Age, if you're gonna metal me I wanna hear the notes! Dropping the low E to a B is pretty nice too, you get that low when you need it but the rest of the guitar is nice and bright
i use drop c all the time in both bass and guitar its real low and nice =]
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
i just went back down to drop c and i like it..havent done it so long and forogt how much i like it

Dixon Acoustic
Quote by DaliLama
Standard or half-step for sure, only go lower if you're gonna groove me like Kyuss or Queens of the Stone Age, if you're gonna metal me I wanna hear the notes!

Totally Agree
E or E flat, or even Drop D is the only lowest i will ever go too. Unlike back then i even drop A on my old crappy warlcok guitar. Playing all that slipknot crap lol.

E or Eb, or Drop D it rings the notes better and show how much creativity you have *cough*Metallica*cough* since in Drop c or lower you can play any chord and if you mess up you cant hear it (well if your a guitar player like me, and can hear the mistake maybe you/us/we can hear it).
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by TimmyPage06
E. Stop being a pussy, you dont need to tune low to sound heavy.

mybe some people tune low to sound deeper, as opposed to heavier.
Drop D
Drop C
Standard when I'm lazy
Jackson DXMG- upgraded pups 81 85 emg set
Schecter Omen 6
XXX 60w Tube Combo
Digitech GNX3
Boss MD-2
ABCDEF
haaahahhaha
nah
drop d...drop c....and a half step down in eadgbe.
Stuff:Prs billy martin se, squier strat, peavey valveking 212, boss:mt-2,md-2,sd-1,tr-2,oc-3,Mxrdynacomp,G2.1U multieffects pedal.
my band
www.myspace.com/inyerdreams
I pretty much always tune to either Eb or Open G Minor though some time i tune to open Dsus4 (which i think is also called something else)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Slayer224
E Standard.
Eb standard.
D Standard.
Drop D. (sometimes)

Same here and I have a guitar for one step down and drop C, those are all mine.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
mybe some people tune low to sound deeper, as opposed to heavier.

Yeah. Sometimes.. though alot of cases not. I know alot of metal heads, who, I've shown riffs to and they have been like "Thats pretty heavy. It could be heavier" then they play it back with their guitars tuned to C... no heavier, same riff, just bassier.

There is one exception though. My acoustic is in D standard, because Im more likely to sing with it, and then it's more in my vocal range.
Drop B, its always really fun to mess around with that, and try learning some rage/audioslave while your at it.
Quote by ferretman
Was that supposed to be funny because you're hilarious.

The best tuning is standard or a half step down. I hate all this down-tuned crap.
Quote by sylent
E or E flat, or even Drop D is the only lowest i will ever go too. Unlike back then i even drop A on my old crappy warlcok guitar. Playing all that slipknot crap lol.

E or Eb, or Drop D it rings the notes better and show how much creativity you have *cough*Metallica*cough* since in Drop c or lower you can play any chord and if you mess up you cant hear it (well if your a guitar player like me, and can hear the mistake maybe you/us/we can hear it).

The drop C thing makes no sense at all. Having your guitar tuned low, doesn't make everything sound "right". If it is tuned well, and the strings are good, it will be just as important to play clean as if it was tuned in standard. Maybe you're referring to the drop tuning allowing you to play power chords by barring off 3 strings? But either way, it still has to be done clean or it will sound like crap.
depends on what sound im going for...i do standard, drop D and drop C, and C standard
Go get your shovel.
I usually just stay in standard no matter what I'm playing. If I'm feeling loopy, I'll go down two steps. But you shouldn't need to tune down just to play heavy. Look at Dimmu Borgir. Black metal, in standard tuning. No problem.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Standard and drop-D are my favorites. Drop-D sound so evil, I love it!

I like to go to C sometimes as well.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I keep every guitar in a flat tunning. Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. Sometimes I'll go a little crazy and have it standard. But other times I down tune like Korn.
Korn is a full step down: 7 string (bottom to top) - A D G C F A D
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Korn is a full step down: 7 string (bottom to top) - A D G C F A D

Incidentially, Korn's guitar playing is more basic that Static X's.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
My tuning of choice

C# G# C# F# A# D#
OR
Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

its drop Db

not disgusingly low, but tis still pretty chunky, and works for thinner strings
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by God Am
Incidentially, Korn's guitar playing is more basic that Static X's.

What the hell are you talking about?

That doesn't pertain to anything...
- FJ

Opeth is as heavy as it gets and they've never gone below d, slayer indirectly invented death metal and they stayed in e falt for agesss. i being a thrasher need my speed and clarity so i stay in standard down a step usually, but if i have a really good riff and it just doesnt have the punch it needs ill drop to c. it all depend on the riff in my mind... prime example being pantera, dimebag was all over the place with tunings. e, standard down one, drop d, c, slightly flat e... thats how its done in my book
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Page 1 of 2