I really want to start recording on my computer. But, having no knowledge on what I need, it'll be tough. So can anyone point out what I need to record so it sounds good. I don't want it to sound really horrid. Maybe make a list for me and leave it here and it will be appreciated, prices too.

thanks.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Recording just for you?

If you want to record your actual amp, then you'll need a mic (SM57 is the standard), and a small firewire interface....cables, and you're set.....the interfaces come with programs of their own.

Or you could go the completely digital modelling route of recording, with a line 6 interface of some sort.

If you have a decent amp, go with the first, definitely. More expensive, but worth it!
The cheapest way to go,

- Get a PC mic
- Download Audacity, completely free.
- Download the MP3 encoder if you need it.
I heard about something like MIDI systems of something. Whats that all about?
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
yeah download audacity for free and then buy a Line6 Guitar port (cheap) and you will have professional sounding recordings.. this is what i use and it beats a mic any day
Alright ^^^ like that one
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
download audacity

buy two cables

buy a 1/4 inch to 1/8 converter jack

plug one cable into guitar, other end into input on amp

plug the other cable into the "CD output" or whatever you have on your amp

put the converter jack on the end of the cable, and plug that into a mic input or sound input on your computer

open audacity on the computer, and record. enjoy
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by TJM2482
The cheapest way to go,

- Get a PC mic
- Download Audacity, completely free.
- Download the MP3 encoder if you need it.

thats what i use but sincemy free trial of Switch ran out ineed a new mp3 encoder. can u post a link to the one that Audacity uses?
yo, i run my own studio so heres a few tips from a MASTER har har har

if your into downloading free stuff, download steinberg cubase sx 3. its about as good as it gets before you have to buy an mbox or whatever to get pro tools. since you were asking about midi, im going to assume your not familiar with it. midi is 'Musical Instrument Digital Interface' and is basically a really realistic 'fake' synth version of an instrument. i reccomend 'Reason 3.0' which you can also download. Its great, has a simple to use interface but you can do a lot with it! go to www.thepiratebay.org or isohunt and you'll be able to download unless you wanna pay the £300 ($500ish) price tag for each of them! then all you need as mentioned before is an shure sm57 or 58 microphone and stand to mic up an amp, a preamp for the mic, an input into your computer (maybe have to buy a new sound card), and your good to go! with a pop shield (the discs they put in front of mics when recording vocals to eliminate 'plosives' ie. when you say 'p' it hisses) you can actually get decent vocal quality out of the sm57/58 so that should be all you need!
If your wanting really good qual, thats all you need, but its not easy to get a proffesional sounding demo, as it will have to be mastered which is a whole different ball game but dont worry bout that! lol hope that helps!
oh ps. u wanted prices! u CAN download all the software pirate off the sites i gave you (not that i'm endorsing them!!) and the sm57/58 will set you back £69 ($110ish), a mic stand will be around £15 ($25), mic preamp should be around £40 ($70ish) and a sound card if needed can get bought for around £50 ($90). So none of the items required is that expensive relitivly. I you use all of them correctly ull get as good a sound as any so long as you learn learn learn!!! mic positioning is the most important to getting a good guitar sound! quite complicated but a simple way to do it is to put ur ear close to the amp and figure out at which position it sounds the nicest and stick the mic there!!! Theres no quick way of explaining all this so yeh good luck and i hope i helped dude!
Line6 TonePort UX1: $120 ish

It can record guitar, bass, and anything you can put a mic to, then put 'em thru a four-track digital recorder.
a decent mic (read: SM57) is the best way to go. plugging your amp into your computer is probably the cheapest, but you won't get great sound. there are other methods (like guitar pro, or these midi interfaces, etc.), but they don't sound that great either.