What's a good guitarist and how do you consider yourself to be a good one?
Gear:

1996 Fender Stratocaster Jimmie Vaughan Edition
Ovation 1860 Balladeer Acoustic/Electric
Miller Electric
Indiana Jones Acoustic

Kustom Amp
You are a good guitarist when you are satisfied with the level you can play
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
You are a good guitarist when you are satisfied with the level you can play
And if you're satisfied playing Blink 182 covers..that makes you good?

You're good when you have decent control over the sounds your guitar makes.
you know what i mean...smartass

okokokokook

i take it back

learn theory, scales, modes, blah blah etc etc

The point i was getting at is that u dont have to play at 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 notes per second to be good
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
You're a good guitarist in my mind, if you're sure enough in your ability to play around other musicians that you respect.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
i agree with most people. your ownly good when you meet your goals and earn respect. If you give it your best and cant learn. your probly not good. but no one can give up. Once you meet your own expectations, your good. Mine for instace is to be able to play KISS, Van Halen, and Guns-n-Roses. If i achive that in my mind im good. If your cool with Green Day and your satisfied, your good.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
And if you're satisfied playing Blink 182 covers..that makes you good?

You're good when you have decent control over the sounds your guitar makes.

Some one who can play Blink182 in time and with a band imo is a better player than someone who plays Seranna sloppily.
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
Some one who can play Blink182 in time and with a band imo is a better player than someone who plays Seranna sloppily.
You aren't playing Serranna if you're playing it sloppily.

Side question: How does Becker actually spell "Serrenna?"
Yes, but they are attempting something more challenging and playing it badly rather than playing something be it simple or complex, and making it soud good.

It's Seranna.
Last edited by IThinkYou Smell at Jul 29, 2006,
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
Yes, but they are attempting something more challenging and playing it badly rather than playing something be it simple or complex, and making it soud good.

It's Seranna.
So a beginner could attempt Seranna and that would magically make them good? Great logic...
i think that if one calls themselves good, they sometimes get complacent, i think you should base how good you are off of what your superiors and peers think,
if other musicians that have been playing the same amount of time as you tell you you're good, then you're good.
You're good when your creativity is completely free technically and musically. If you can use the full extent of your creativity playing 3 chords (Bob Dylan), than you're good at guitar. If you can play 22 nps but can't express anything, you're a paper shredder and not that good. Computers can play way faster and cleaner than you ever will be able to. Computers can't create or improvise.
Quote by euge453
You're good when your creativity is completely free technically and musically.
No no no, that's when you're great.

Now for the Bob Dylan comment: Being able to play three chords in a great song does not mean that he is a good guitarist. If you see a guy in a club playing three chords (like Dylan, not in 16th notes at 220), do you say to your bandmates, "you know how we need another good guitarist, how about him?" No, of course not. That's ridiculous.
Well everyone has different tastes so you have to judge being good or not on very lenient terms. Lighten up bra
I consider a good guitarist to be someone who is respectful, is sincere to art, is playing for the right reasons, is not arrogant, a lot of things that don't have to do with actual skill level on the guitar. As long as you are creative and artistic then you're a good guitarist in my books.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
When you get a Gold Album, haha, jk. A good guitarist is someone who can play well with other musicians. No matter what instrument.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Well, it depends on what you mean by "good" - a lot of people seem to think that self satisfaction makes a good guitarist, which isn't entirely true. I'd say that being completely satisfied with your current level is a pretty bad thing, as you'll never feel the urge to improve. Basically, I'd call someone a good guitarist if they were reasonably proficient at the technical aspect, and they could translate the music in their head onto their instrument.

in my humble opinion, the "satisfaction" argument is just an excuse for mediocre guitarists to make themselves more secure in their lack of a drive to improve.

Buuuuut people will inevitably disagree, and sorry if I offended anyone -_-
I agree with preist.fan. I don't think you should ever reach a point where you say "I'm good enough, no need to work any harder". You should always push yourself to that next level, thats not just part of being a good guitarist but being a good musician. Always wanting to push your limits.

I find that a good player is one who is not only proficient with his instrument, but also able to entertain and audience. If people are tapping their feet, dancing, moshing, head banging, or anything else depending on genre. You are on the right track. It's more than just being able to play that makes you good, it's making people feel what you play that makes you good. So a good player is one that can make someone feel their emotions through their playing.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No no no, that's when you're great.

Now for the Bob Dylan comment: Being able to play three chords in a great song does not mean that he is a good guitarist. If you see a guy in a club playing three chords (like Dylan, not in 16th notes at 220), do you say to your bandmates, "you know how we need another good guitarist, how about him?" No, of course not. That's ridiculous.

I think that makes him a better musician than it does guitarist. And I think the same thing about knowing theory.

The way I look at it is, self satisfaction plays a big role in how good of a guitarist/guitar player you are at one point in your playing. And I think think there is a difference between a good guitar player and a good guitarist, to be a good guitar player I think you must have good technique. To be a good guitarist is a totally different story, you need not only technique but the ability to write and express your musical ideas in at least some what proficiant way. And I don't think theory is always needed for that.
when you have the skill to play whats in your head, then youre a good guitarist,
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you are a good guitarist if someone else says that you are
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Being able to meet your guitar playing goal might make you good, but that's more dedication than just plain being a good guitarist.

I would say you are good if you can hold your own in a group of other musicians that are at an above average level of skill themselves. You should be able to tell if they're are good, and if you can play with them comfortably, then you're probably good. Also, knowing basic music theory and having good technique is important.
you're a good guitarist if you can play better than ppl around you...
Being complacent with your ability and your "bag o' tricks" is the worst mistake you can make.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
So what happens when you're around Vai and Schenker?

Fatality

I think you're a good guitarist when you enjoy what you're playing, even if it's Blink 182.
you'll be a good guitarrist the day you are with lots of fiends, pick up a guitar, start playing and everyone clearly enjoys what you're doing... no matter how much chords or scales you might know..

Xavier Rudd rules!!!....
NiCk_FuRy
A good guitarist is someone who can make the audience move with every note, someone who can jam with someone the moment they meet them, someone who can sing something in their head and reproduce it on the guitar and someone people will remember for their guitar playing and not their stage dives or how many coors lights they chugged on stage.
i feel you are a good guitarist when you know quite a bit of theory, can do some sweet techniques and can improvise confidently when faced with anything. Also when you can put feeling into the guitar with the use of bends etc. and not just play a million miles per hour.

I also feel that BanGoodCharlot should stop ****ting on other peoples comments.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

I think you're a good guitarist if people will PAY to see you. You may not have to be a technical master but if you sound good enough for people to like what they hear (plus keep time and play what you're playing with accuracy) then your at a certain level at least.

I think you're a great guitarist when you can hear any song from nearly any genre and reproduce it yourself (meaning your proficient in every technique and style) and also improvise in any style or genre effectively.
Quote by Inertiaaa
You're a good guitarist in my mind, if you're sure enough in your ability to play around other musicians that you respect.

How much respect, if you had the chance to jam with Jimmy Page, (depending on how good you are, i don't know) would you be confident. I think yoou mean other musicians within a solid level of playing.

In my opinion, it's when you can start doing things originally, whether it's playing a someone elses song YOUR own way, or writing your own stuff

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild