Does every guitar player have a maximum speed at which they could ever pick? Or if you work on your picking and technique will you become faster in time? What factors contribute to this maximum speed? Thanks for any help.
your picking speed does become faster over time i'v been playing for 4 years and i'v noticed major change in my picking speed since i've start but to reach a maximum you probally do over time.
your retarded thats like asking is the heaviest thing ill ever be able to lift a 50 pound dumbell? no if you work out over time youll lift more
jeez sum people
Quote by drshock
some purists will tell u never to do this but ball your hand up

whats that mean?
factors....strength..endurance
like forearm strength and stuff
and can be calluses if you dont have those good enough yet
also strings, if theyre old and rusty=NO GOOD.
guitar, yep, that too.
Sometimes IMO if you turn your pickup selector to the neck pickup it makes you sound faster and makes your apreggios sound better(to me atleast)
a LOT of stuff contributes to it though.
Stuff:Prs billy martin se, squier strat, peavey valveking 212, boss:mt-2,md-2,sd-1,tr-2,oc-3,Mxrdynacomp,G2.1U multieffects pedal.
my band
www.myspace.com/inyerdreams
lmfao
not those again!!!!!
lol
yea
get ur fat a s s away yngwie
its useless USELESS COOKBOOK!
Stuff:Prs billy martin se, squier strat, peavey valveking 212, boss:mt-2,md-2,sd-1,tr-2,oc-3,Mxrdynacomp,G2.1U multieffects pedal.
my band
www.myspace.com/inyerdreams
well there is a maximum speed im sure, because at some point it will be physically impossible for you to pick faster, but most players never reach that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok, getting more serious. If you're technically slow, you can pick very fast but your picking wont coordinate with your left hand, sure you can pick 1 note/1 string very fast like this but when you try to move to multiple notes, you'll come crashing down. Lets say you're already fast and your coordination with your left hand is very good, you can still go faster but then your coordination is lost, making your play very sloppy and crappy.

To gain speed, you gotta do lotsa boring exercises on picking techniques, synchronization, practice licks and some other stuff. Metronome helps, and one more thing, getting fast is POINTLESS but getting your play better is very important, remember that. You can play fast as hell but if its crap, its crap.

Also, proteins wouldnt hurt in developing stronger tendons and muscles.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Does anyone know the maximum picking speed humanly possible?

Or maybe a record set for fastest picking....?
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by drshock
some purists will tell u never to do this but ball your hand up

Are you referring to angular motion?
Quote by madpickin03
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAAzwbULKc0&mode=related&search=fastest%20guitarist

The motherfuc*ing noise caused me headache. The vid quality and sound isnt very good so his play is questionable. This aint the fastest picking but his hand synchronization is ok. Crap btw, just pointless shred.
theres no way that 48 notes per second, , 48 notes in the time it takes to say "one thousand one" no way.
^ Hell, im not convinced myself... plus he look kinda gay...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
My maximum picking speed (Not sweeping, just regular picking) is only around 19 notes per second (alternate picking). It's not the best, but I'm content. When I'm picking fast, I just keep my hand normal, stiffen my wrist, and move as violently but fluidly as I can and as fast as I can. I don't think there are many ways to increase your PICKING speed except practicing. I know I say it a lot, but it's essential to improving in any way.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by CustomCustom
theres no way that 48 notes per second, , 48 notes in the time it takes to say "one thousand one" no way.

Vai did 128 in 3 seconds

so i duno...
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
That looked like a bunch of Bullsh*t if you asked me.......and yea he did look like a douche so who cares even if he could.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
^ you, picking on the fretboard doesnt sound bad at all, you do what you like.

Sounds that're produced when you're doing that may/may not sound bad.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by sexy-man
your retarded thats like asking "is the heaviest thing ill ever be able to lift a 50 pound dumbell?" no if you work out over time youll lift more
jeez sum people
[/LACK OF PUNCTUATION]

Fixed. That's got to be a record.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that with enough practice, it is possible to pick as fast (or perhaps faster) than is necessary. You can only pick so fast until it just turns into a gurgling chunk of fast notes that sounds like crap anyhow. You can pick as fast as you will ever need to.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
Fixed. That's got to be a record.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that with enough practice, it is possible to pick as fast (or perhaps faster) than is necessary. You can only pick so fast until it just turns into a gurgling chunk of fast notes that sounds like crap anyhow. You can pick as fast as you will ever need to.

He misspelled dumbbell as well :P.
My maximum picking speed (Not sweeping, just regular picking) is only around 19 notes per second (alternate picking). It's not the best, but I'm content.

Sorry mate, I can guarntee you that you are nowhere near 19nps alt picked. Most people dont' realize just how fast 19nps is!

Here is 20nps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZOzUVBhUI&search=shawn%20lane%20technique

When I'm picking fast, I just keep my hand normal, stiffen my wrist, and move as violently but fluidly as I can and as fast as I can.

Quit this bad habit now!! You are going to injure yourself. That is very poor technique, and if there is any "stiffining" of anything, you've got assloads of tension involved which slow you down immensly.

Now on to threadstarters question...

Does every guitar player have a maximum speed at which they could ever pick? Or if you work on your picking and technique will you become faster in time? What factors contribute to this maximum speed? Thanks for any help.

There is a limit to what the human body can do, so yes there is a "maxium speed" in theory, very few if any actually reach that. Your picking technique will become faster in time if you practice it. Muscle control, muscle memory, strength of the muscles, and economy of movement are all varying factors in picking speed.