Page 1 of 2
I know they have good bit of popularity but i think the pumpkins never got the credit they deserved. They such a diverse cool band. I hear they're getting back together cant wait for that.

Any opinions?
Smashing Pumpkins were the most commercially successful alternative rock band of the 90's. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie both sold a ton (I think MCIS went platinum like 4 times, 8 if you count each disc as a seperate album). Their singles got and still get a fair amount of air play, at least in the Chicago area. I'd say they got the credot they deserved, and then some.

Great band, though. A reunion should be cool, even if it's just Corgan and Chamberlin.
Ehh they only had about two widely recongized albums the others didnt get near as much even though some deserved it
Siamese Dream is an amazing album. Mellon Collie is pretty good too. I think Billy Corgan is a very underrated guitarist. He is an amazing lyricist, especially in the Siamese Dream era. I have to say the quality of his lyrics decreased so much on Mellon Collie.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
My favorite band. Ever.

Yesterday I replaced my old copy of MCIS, and I realized, this is my favorite album ever.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by trev_smith12
Siamese Dream is an amazing album. Mellon Collie is pretty good too. I think Billy Corgan is a very underrated guitarist. He is an amazing lyricist, especially in the Siamese Dream era. I have to say the quality of his lyrics decreased so much on Mellon Collie.

how did the quality of lyrics decrease on mcis? they are much better than siamese dream
Member #5 of the Kirsten Dunst Appreciation Society
Siamese Dream is really good but i think MCIS drags on a bit but has very bright spots. and although i do think corgan is an underrated guitarist...i do think he is highly OVERRATED in general. he was indeed the main reason for their success, however, the other albums were pretty much crap and when he formed ZWAN he pretty much proved that he couldn't take a band and make them good. and then even worse then that, he made a solo album which was, needless to say, awful. he couldn't do anything without the rest of his band. the reason they're getting back together isn't because he thinks he can write another good album. it's because he knows he has his older songs and loyal fans that won't boo him off the stage like they did when he went solo.
they are widely underapreciated

i know so mnay people who don't know who they are but are cuarenteed to know a song (usually 1979 or disarm)

but there effect seems to be forgotten

MCIS sold over 12million (dunno how many would have been sold these days)

even adore sold over 6 million (brilliant album btw but apparently people dont like it when u try something a little different)

as for Zwan they are rubbish but billies solo album was actually rather good

have u noticed the big magazines (like rolling stone etc.) tend to ignore or only say bad things about billy and the pumpkins?
Quote by AWA
My favorite band. Ever.

Yesterday I replaced my old copy of MCIS, and I realized, this is my favorite album ever.

I was thinking about the Pumpkins, and I realized that I don't like MCIS that much. Pisces Iscariot is better than it. At the moment this is the order of SP albums, for me:

Siemese Dream>Pisces Iscariot>Gish>Mellon Collie>>>>Adore

I never got the Machina's.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I was thinking about the Pumpkins, and I realized that I don't like MCIS that much. Pisces Iscariot is better than it. At the moment this is the order of SP albums, for me:

Well, I guess that MCIS's lyrics get me everytime. I can completely relate to the majority of the songs, plus I love the feeling I get when I listen to the whole thing through.

For me, it goes like:

MCIS>Saimese Dream>Adore>Pisces Iscariot>Gish>Machina
Quote by AWA
Well, I guess that MCIS's lyrics get me everytime. I can completely relate to the majority of the songs, plus I love the feeling I get when I listen to the whole thing through.

For me, it goes like:

MCIS>Saimese Dream>Adore>Pisces Iscariot>Gish>Machina

I could definitely agree on that order, although I've only heard a bit of Machina.

To be honest, as long as it is, I never get the feeling that Mellon Collie drags. I think the order the songs go in has a lot to do with that.
Quote by crawlingfaster
how did the quality of lyrics decrease on mcis? they are much better than siamese dream

Well I do have Pitchfork on my side.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/21809/Smashing_Pumpkins_Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness

Gotta say I completely agree with the review. The rating is a little low, but you can't compare lyrics like "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage" to the lyrical masterpiece that is Siamese Dream. To quote Pitchfork "this is Billy's lyrical rock-bottom."
Did that reviewer only listen to the singles?

Songs like Muzzle, Cupid De Locke, By Starlight, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, etc. are his BEST lyrics ever. Screw pitchfork.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

wow adore is my favorite smashing pumpkins album out of all of them...

i found siamese dream ok, and i found Mellon Collie pretty brilliant but i really liked adore how it was much more emotional and somber to me....
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is my favorite album of ALL TIME.

Enough said!

Cant wait for the reunion - i'd love james to join though
Only album I don't have is Machina...Love their stuff though. I really need to give Gish and Machina II some better listens though, haven't really sat down and listened to them like the others.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
Underated?? No. Maybe Gish didn't really get the recognition it warranted at the time, because people were too busy listening to Nevermind (not me, I was too young to appreciate either album really). I wouldn't say they were underrated in general, particularly because the fans they do have usually cite them as one of their favourite bands (me included on this one) rather than just a band they like to listen to.
Pumpkinhead here. Favourite album is admittedly the staple Siamese Dream, but it's that damn good. Then probably MCIS, then Adore, then Pisces Iscariot, then the Machinas. Not far between them all, though. I coped better than most SP fans seemed to with the later material because I'm already an avid electronica/experimental music fan.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I thought that machina was a phenomenal album as well I mean try, try, try-everlasting gaze-stand inside your love-raindrops+sunshowers I think other than siamese dream It has the largest collection of good songs on one album
2nd favorite band. I've been obsessed with them for 3 years now because they have such a deep catalogue. Siamese Dream is head and shoulders my favorite album all time.

They all have their good spots, especially MCIS. The brilliant songs on that album account for over half of it. Especially Porcelina of the Vast Oceans.

Adore was also excellent, To Sheila is one of their best songs. I liked the Machinas and I like Zwan too.
"Great music completely obliterates any conceptions of genre"

Recordnerd
What is everyone's thought's on Machina II? I thought it was much better than Machina.
Quote by trev_smith12
What is everyone's thought's on Machina II? I thought it was much better than Machina.

It really was. They may never have split up in the first place if that one had been released. Ditch the hazy production and 'Real Love,' 'Dross,' and 'Deux Ex Machina' all could have been Top 10 singles.
I dig the pumpkins. very much so.

Geek USA is probably their best song. Ever.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Quote by UMadeMeRealise
It really was. They may never have split up in the first place if that one had been released. Ditch the hazy production and 'Real Love,' 'Dross,' and 'Deux Ex Machina' all could have been Top 10 singles.

I don't think any of those had that potential. Let Me Give The World To You however, should have been on Machina as it is completely great. Their were some other really strong cuts too that I can't name off the top of my head. Also, The Aeroplane Flies High box set had some great songs too.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^The entire Zero single is better then several songs on Mellon Collie. Even that half hour song divided up into like 30 sections.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

^Zero and 1979 were the two best CD-singles the band ever put out (in terms of B-sides). They're like two little jewels that you feel really fortunate to have found.
^Seriously? Thirty-Three has always been my favourite. While the title track is the weakest of the singles, you can't beat b-sides like TAFH, Transformer and The Last Song. The cover of My Blue Heaven is really pretty as well.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

^But on 1979, you get Ugly, The Boy, Cherry, and Set The Ray To Jerry. And Zero has three of the band's best rockers (God, Mouths of Babes, Marquis in Spades). But they all really have their high points.
i just got the zero ep a few weeks ago, i really like it there's a lot of heavy songs on it...
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
i just got the zero ep a few weeks ago, i really like it there's a lot of heavy songs on it...

You should get the 1979 EP; it's very nice and mellow alt-pop stuff
Can anybody tell me what the set list was for that "last show: at the metro"
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Completely awesome band; definitely one of my favourites. I haven't got all their albums though; I haven't seen Machina anywhere, and when I do see Gish I don't have any money.

I've got Siamese Dream, Adore, Mellon Collie, Earphoria, Rotten Apples and the 1979 single.
Geek USA, I Am One, Pug and Bullet with Butterfly Wings are probably my favourite songs by them at the moment.
Ive been sentenced to a Death by Sexy by the Eagles of Death Metal fan club! PM Punk Rocker to get sentenced.

President of the 'Courtney Love does not suck' club. PM me to join.

Also a member of White Stripes club - see left.
Quote by israels_son
Can anybody tell me what the set list was for that "last show: at the metro"

2000/12/02 - Metro; Chicago, IL, US

Set 1:

* Rocket
* I Am One
* Rhinoceros
* Shame
* Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
* The Everlasting Gaze
* Bullet with Butterfly Wings
* Spiteface (tease)
* Thru the Eyes of Ruby
* Blissed and Gone (with the Frogs)
* To Sheila (with Linda Rowberry and the Frogs)
* Mayonaise
* I of the Mourning

Set 2:

* Muzzle
* Stand Inside Your Love
* Perfect
* This Time
* Go
* The Last Song
* Last Instrumental
* Age of Innocence
* Thirty-three