As the title states, I am buying a bass soon!

I've been playing guitar for a year now and am getting a bass, not only for recreation, but so I also have some practice to be in my school's music classes.

Any tips? Hints? Things to look out for (such as when buying a bass)? I play mostly rock or metal, but usually try to branch out. I am willing to spend maybe $200 for bass and amp, maybe $250.

Thanks

-KR
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-IJSB190-Bass-Jumpstart-Pack?sku=519677

i started with this bass (minus the amp). Its a really decent bass. I've had it for almost 2 years and the only reason i want a different bass is for more strings (5-6 string bass)

you could just buy the bass for 180 and run it through your guitar amp (thats what i do. I dont know if thats bad for the amp though....>.>
If it gets too loud ("loud" varies from amp to amp) then the low frequencies will blow the speakers of the guitar amp, which is not designed to handle a bass's low sounds

And thanks for the tip.
Ibanez makes a bass that's like $100, it's actually not too bad. Then, spend the rest of your $150 on a decent bass amp of some sort.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

hmm...i guess dont turn it up to loud. Well, its only 30 off of your 250 price range...i say get it
i would go with one of the fender starter packs. They come with a decent bass and a really good beginner amp. The two together give you a very good range of tone fo not a ton of money.