ive played a few gibsons [lp's, sg's, v's] but never an explorer and i love the shape, has anyone played one or own one that can tell me how it sounds compared to those three
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
I own a gibson explorer gothic. I use it more than my JEM, mainly because i always keep my jem in standard tuning and the floyd rose makes it a pain in the ass to play in any other tuning so i end up using my explorer for metal songs and anything outside of standard tuning.

I absolutely love it. It's got a nice deep crunch to it, and the cleans are good imo. Although I read a review on somewhere where the person said they didn't like 'em...must've had a crappy amp or something.
It's seems more metal oriented than an LP. The LP's tone has something in it (almost a bass) that isn't as perfect for metal. I'm NOT an expert. Judging solely from Guitar Center. Anyways, the Explorer has a ****ing awesome tone, it's extremely versatile from what I found, even able to get some twangy, near Fender tones, while being beautiful for metal. However, it's still a Gibson, and with the Gibson issued humbuckers, it won't get that vicious, different tone an EMG set gets. Hetfield's Explorer's have EMG's.

Compared to an SG, it sounds meatier, perhaps less treble I suppose. An SG is just so similar to an LP, the Explorer is similar to both in ways. I think Explorers have fantastic personality. Try one out at Guitar Center. It's rewarding.
Last edited by oddling8 at Jul 30, 2006,
I played one and the action was a catastroph, the strings were so high it was nearly impossible to play. The overall feel I got from it was sloppy, the knobs felt cheap as did the pickup selector, the fretboard seemed weirdly placed on the neck...
I bought an SG special faded and liked the feel, playability and sound much better!

Perhaps I played a lemon... it just didn't feel right at all.
^ Lemon. It happens, it seems more common with Gibson's than other brands. Perhaps I'm crazy. I have seen that though, well, not a disaster, but I've had Explorers that were inferior to my Epiphone Goth Explorer, which is about 500 dollars cheaper...
Quote by JorisBlack
I played one and the action was a catastroph, the strings were so high it was nearly impossible to play. The overall feel I got from it was sloppy, the knobs felt cheap as did the pickup selector, the fretboard seemed weirdly placed on the neck...
I bought an SG special faded and liked the feel, playability and sound much better!

Perhaps I played a lemon... it just didn't feel right at all.

Well the action could've easily been fixed because it's so easy to do on an explorer. The knobs are a little meh. But I like that they're larger so it's easier to grab if you need a quick change in the middle of playing.
I just bought brand new gibson exploror yesterday and the tone is to die for!!! The action could be a little better, but it sound ten times better than my gibson les paul studio. The neck isso comfortable. I would recommend this guitar to anybody who thinks they might want one. Though I have played a "lemon" exploror. It felt the same but justs didnt sound as good. It had loose knobs and switches too. Always play it before you buy it.
joshuaestock.com
If you like metal, an ESP Explorer would be better. Plus James uses ESP.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by oddling8
It's seems more metal oriented than an LP. The LP's tone has something in it (almost a bass) that isn't as perfect for metal. I'm NOT an expert. Judging solely from Guitar Center. Anyways, the Explorer has a ****ing awesome tone, it's extremely versatile from what I found, even able to get some twangy, near Fender tones, while being beautiful for metal. However, it's still a Gibson, and with the Gibson issued humbuckers, it won't get that vicious, different tone an EMG set gets. Hetfield's Explorer's have EMG's.

Compared to an SG, it sounds meatier, perhaps less treble I suppose. An SG is just so similar to an LP, the Explorer is similar to both in ways. I think Explorers have fantastic personality. Try one out at Guitar Center. It's rewarding.

Also Claudio Sanchez from Coheed & Cambria uses an Explorer with EMGs..
Desperate Times, Desperate Measures.
strange, i never think of an explorer as being a metal guitar (not saying it cant be)

i tend to think of explorers as crunchy rock guitars (skynyrd)

probly the ESP exlplorer would be better for metal tho
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Gibson Explorers are definitely the quintessential rock guitar.

In other words.. they ****ing rock!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five