Hey guys, its time for me to get a new amp. I am currently looking at the Peavey Supreme XL. Even though it is a head, I can't really find any good metal tube amps that can still get a nice slight overdrive tone for up to $650. If you guys can recommend me some more amps then I would gladly appreciate it.

EDIT: Sorry, I always forget the styles

I play hard rock, metal, and some blues. Since my father is going to play this amp probably, he plays a lot of blues and Stonesy type stuff.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Last edited by SGStrummer61 at Jul 30, 2006,
And, your style of music is?...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Its $850.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Save up! Or get a VOX combo amp, they sound good.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Well see, since my father is going to be using it, its basically his amp, but I'll still use it too. I can't go over $650, mabey $700, but its pushing it. The VOX is pretty nice, but its not tube and I want tube, not hybrid.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Well, I don't know what to tell you then. If it's your dad's amp, then why are you picking it out?
- FJ

Well, he's paying for it and he wants to know what I think since I spend a lot of time on the pc looking at this kind of ****. Its not that he doesn't know much about guitars, its just that i have a little but more knowledge as to what is what.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Save up and get a B-52 AT-212. Tube combo amp. Like, 70 watts. It does EVERYTHING. Clean, blues, and metal. Does those three things great. I have some 15 odd hours on them at Guitar Center. Dude, they're the real deal. 700-800 U.S.D.
Yea, B-52's are great amps as well. They sound awesome for metal and cleans.
- FJ

Well, if you CAN'T go over 650, get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (about 500 or 600) and a MT-2 Metal Zone/TS-9/Uber Metal/whatever suits you. That will give you Fender tones (albeit it cheap ones), along with decent to good metal.
Except distortion pedals suck on tube amps. I'm thinking about the B-52 or possibly the Carvin MTS combo. I'll have to talk it over with my father, but thanks guys for your input.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

In that case, trust me, get the B-52. I can tell you that I have played alot on it, and I can promise you that the ONLY thing it might lack is reliability (some issues have been reported). That's a rare thing, however. It really does it all.