hey guys im going on a quest to learn as many songs in my fake book as possible and im up to ornithology by charlie parker and i dont know what position i should be playing in to be the most efficent. if any of you have learned this awesome piece canu please help me out

thanks
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
don't confine yourself to one position. It's jazz, it's not going to fit in one position most likely because of how many different scales are used. I'd go with the easiest/most convienient route to play the song if I were you.
I haven't played the song in a while, but I used it for an audition several years ago and I remember playing it around 4th position. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
Well, the version I have is in Gmajor (just to make sure we have the same version.. Lots of those tend to differ a bit in key) so you could choose for a position of the G scale that you know inside out. However, since it modulates a couple of times (to F, to Eb, to Ab, to Gmin, to A, to G) and the chromatic descending in the end (B-7 Bb-7 A-7 Ab-7) make it quite difficult to play it in one position, especially if you also want to improvise over it (which I'm sure you want )

I'd say, just learn it all over the neck