Page 1 of 2
Hello, My frriend has a marshall MG100DFX which i think is pretty gd but ive seen that people have said that it is bad. I was thinking of buying the MG30DFX but if some could please tell me whats rong with the marshall mg series.

thanks
the mg series just sound crappy...
some people may like it...but you should save up your mnoney and spend it for another amp...
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
ive got a mg30dfx but its the only amp ive ever had so i havnt had a chance to compare it to any other amps. er everyone says there **** so i wudnt get it. i like the orange amps tho, apparantly there good, i shud have got 1 of those
marshall makes good tube amps and sub par solid state amps. Although i really dont thing MGs are bad for practice bedroom amps because they have decent effects modeling. But yeah never record or play live with one, unless you have absolutely no choice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
o kk i just wanna practice man im not nearly good anuf to play in a band. the only thign i ever do is jam with my brother
i do however reccomend you try simmilarly priced options however, to see what is most appealing to you soundwise.

Last.fm
I have one but I only ever use it when I can't be arsed to lug my half-stack around. Yeah, its true, it sounds proper nasty, I only ever use it with an amp modeller, and even that sounds weird because over half volume on the clean channel it goes into blues mode.

Its not _that_ bad as a practice amp, but expect to hate it as you become more experienced. And don't fall for the 'omfg bt its a MARSHALL! (or GIBSON! or FENDER! or HENDRIX!)' crap, having a famous buzz-word name or the fact that people are very, very loud in their appraisal or something doesn't necessarily make it good.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
It's decent for practice, but I wouldn't do anything else with it unless I had to. I don't even record with mine.

It should be fine for what you want though. I do recommend that you try out the Vox AD30VT and Roland Cube 30 as well, as they're both in the same price range and are the same wattage. You may like them more, you may not. Pick what you like best, because it's for your practice.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
I do recommend that you try out the Vox AD30VT and Roland Cube 30 as well, as they're both in the same price range and are the same wattage. You may like them more, you may not. Pick what you like best, because it's for your practice.

is the AD30VT the 30w valvestate? My drummer got bought one of these things and it had the most disgusting speaker... I dunno, might just be a one off? The amp modeling
on it sounded pretty nice through a desk or PA anyway. It doesn't really have as much gain as you might want for a metal band, though...

My drummer's family also have a cube, which is an AMAZING little amp! For saying how cheap it looks, the sounds that come out of it are amaaaazing. Check out the rectifier model if you ever have a chance to try one out. It's not perhaps the best copy in the world but it still sounds great. The amp sounds surprisingly full and loud, as well.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
I personally don't like the Marshall MG series either. I just don't like the sound. I am saving to buy a JCM 2000 DSL 100 though. I have a VOX AD30VT and it is very versatile, especially as a practice amp. Marshall makes a quality amp, so it shouldn't give you any problems. Check one out for yourself and see what you think, if you like the way it sounds, buy it.
Quote by orangeacid
is the AD30VT the 30w valvestate? My drummer got bought one of these things and it had the most disgusting speaker... I dunno, might just be a one off? The amp modeling
on it sounded pretty nice through a desk or PA anyway. It doesn't really have as much gain as you might want for a metal band, though...

My drummer's family also have a cube, which is an AMAZING little amp! For saying how cheap it looks, the sounds that come out of it are amaaaazing. Check out the rectifier model if you ever have a chance to try one out. It's not perhaps the best copy in the world but it still sounds great. The amp sounds surprisingly full and loud, as well.

nah all vox ad30vts break up when played with extreme distotion and gain. but it doesnt bother me considering im not a metal head
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by fireman464
I personally don't like the Marshall MG series either. I just don't like the sound. I am saving to buy a JCM 2000 DSL 100 though. I have a VOX AD30VT and it is very versatile, especially as a practice amp. Marshall makes a quality amp, so it shouldn't give you any problems. Check one out for yourself and see what you think, if you like the way it sounds, buy it.

Lol trust me, it will. It is not a quality amp.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
If you tell me what music you're into (blues, rock, punk, metal, etc...) I can tell you if it will work for you.
I have one myself and I really like it. It gives a descent tone for everything I want except when I plug in an acoustic.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Quote by Krieg Commando
Hello, My frriend has a marshall MG100DFX which i think is pretty gd
thanks

im so sorry

Quote by Caressing Death

I have one myself and I really like it.

i pray for you my child

dont get one Kreig
after hearing a MG100FX in a live situation, i can say they are CRAP.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Is the AD30VT part of that new vox series with the metal-like speaker covering instead of that cross-hatched-loooking fabric?
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
Is the AD30VT part of that new vox series with the metal-like speaker covering instead of that cross-hatched-loooking fabric?

ya, its plastic though
Quote by llanafreak44
ya, its plastic though

Whatever, it looks better than the AC fabric crap
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
People are gonna' sit here and reccomend you **** that you'll never like all day long, but if you like the way something sounds, go for it.

Personally, I think if you're on a budget, solid state/modeling is the way to go, because low-priced tube amps, I'm talking pretty much anything below the $800-$1000 range, sound like garbage.
You know... This whole Marshall MG, and Line 6 Spider bashing thing is turning into spam all over the thread. Its begining to get extremely annoying. Everyone knows not to get the MG or Spider 2. If they choose to get it, then they should have tried it and made sure they liked it before they bought it. Im not trying to be rude, but there has been so many of these threads and everyone says the same thing, but people want to make sure for themselves for some reason. Does anyone agree with me, or am I just the only one who thinks the MG and Spider threads are turning into spam.

Threadstarter, if you couldnt tell from all that, dont get it. If you use the search option on here, you can read thousands more posts of why not to buy it.
Lol thats quite humerous because I have an MG and the other guitarist in my band swears by spider IIs. Only, I don't actually use my MG anymore and (although no-one else in the band dares agree with me) I think the spider sounds like crap also.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
Hey Mgs are endorsed by Zakk Wylde they must be good
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by cubedeathk

I hope you're being sarcastic... You are right?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by cubedeathk

uhh not really, of course hes said in interviews that he uses them for backstage warmups, of course when you do that tone doesnt really matter that much. But really the only reason he endorses them is because Marshall pays him for it.

Last.fm
I havent played an mg but i just got a vox ad50vt and its awesome. i do get some noise with the higher gain settings, but its got noise reduction on it so you can crank that up to cut out the buzz
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by Wayward_Son
I hope you're being sarcastic... You are right?

Hey all Im saying is if its good enough for Zakk Wylde its good enough for me
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
^ you were called EONAVENGED?

*pm's mod*

Quote by metaldud536

*Bans*

Sounds like a Cube is in order for you.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
lol, you do indeed pwn

Quote by metaldud536

I agree, cubes are the way forward for practice amps :-)
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
I had the mg250dfx which was not 2 bad untill it just died on me. Got an AVT150 stack which is much better though.
man im not lookign to play live im not good i just wanna practice. all i do is just jam with friends and my brother. When i get into a band ill get a nice 50 or 100 watt amp but i weas wodmerign if it was good for practice
Quote by Krieg Commando
man im not lookign to play live im not good i just wanna practice. all i do is just jam with friends and my brother. When i get into a band ill get a nice 50 or 100 watt amp but i weas wodmerign if it was good for practice

Get a Roland Cube. Good value, multiple amp simulations, interesting effects. Like a Spider II, only good.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
Kreig Commando, learn how to spell.

Marshall does make good amps, but you've got remember that this isn't there top of the line product, it's the same for everything right like you know you go out and you buy a the cheapest Sony LCD. For the same price you could buy something from a different or lesser known manufacturer that is way better but your simply sacarficing quality for the name. But not to pick on Sony though cause I find that Sony makes great products.

I just want to say that right now if you go out and spend 500.00 on a Marshall MG. When you realize that you want a more superior tone, you end up having wasted a lot of money on a POS amp.

You said your simply looking for something to practice. If you don't really care about the tone than your best bet is just to get something a lot cheaper than.

I said this in another thread, but could a mod please make a stickied thread regarding the Marshall MG and Line 6 Spiders so we don't see a new thread of people asking the same question. It's not that they don't know the answer anymore now they are simply clarifying what they read in all the other threads.
Page 1 of 2