Page 1 of 2
So, my current amp (Randall RG50TC) will last me a while... however, my current guitar (Ibanez GRG170DX) WON'T. So, I need a new guitar!

To make it easier for you, I've narrowed it down to 3 guitars:

Fender Powerhouse Strat

+ Lots of versatility
+ Great range of clean and distorted tones- the distorted tones are great!
+ Cheapest of the 3
- Vintage tremolo- bye bye tuning stability!

ESP LTD Viper 500

+ Mahogany body and EMG pickups- lots of fat, heavy tone
+ Decent hardware
+ Great cosmetics
- I can kiss goodbye to any chance of a decent clean tone
- It's the most expensive of the 3

Ibanez IC400

+ Mahogany body- fat tone.
+ Solid build
+ Even cheaper on GAK
- Worst pickups of the 3
- Finding a case is going to be a bugger...

I'm also open to suggestions! I play 'goth' rock by the way.
the Fender, that tuning stability problem can eassily be fixed by adding some locking tuners. and what do you mean my goth rock?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Fender tuning stability can be fixed by locking tuners and proper setup.

Viper's cost can be compensated by the pickups that they come with.

IC400 can be fitted with a bass case.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
what do you mean my goth rock?

To be honest I have no idea. That's just what people who review my band always seem to call us! I think they're referring to the fact that our songs have a similar feel to HIM, who are definately not goth rock.
HIM are the definition of goth rock, in fact.

I'd say go with the ESP. you can change the neck pickup to a 60 instead of an 85, that way you can still have somewhat decent cleans.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
HIM are the definition of goth rock, in fact.

not to go off topic but HIM are some kind of light metal, Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy are the definition of goth rock. theyve been around waay longer than HIM and sound completely different, get your facts straight.

Quote by Aidy Damage
It COULD just be my amp that's sucky at cleans... they're always distorted...

what kind of amp do you have?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
not to go off topic but HIM are some kind of light metal, Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy are the definition of goth rock. theyve been around waay longer than HIM and sound completely different, get your facts straight.

what kind of amp do you have?

Good call on Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy- they're awesome. I'd say my band are dark hard rock, though, a bit like HIM. At a push a synthless Birthday Massacre.

The amp I'm using is a Randall RG50TC valve combo with an Ibanez TS-7 to boost the overdrive. Orgasmic overdriven tones, especially with the TS-7 to give it some oomph, but it just doesn't 'do' cleans.
have you tried cleans without the TS7? did you put the amp on the "clean" channel? maybe a little more volume, a little less gain?
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
have you tried cleans without the TS7? did you put the amp on the "clean" channel? maybe a little more volume, a little less gain?

I always do cleans without the TS7, and I put it on what's supposed to be the clean channel... the clean channel also has no gain control
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
try rolling the volume back on your guitar to clean it up a bit.

Still has an annoying distortion
Get the Iceman. It's one of my dream guitars so I say 100 % go for the Iceman if you play metal/classic rock.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
hmmmm does it sound muddy on the clean channel? what were your settings? maybe its got something to do with the pickups on the ibanez but i doubt it
Quote by azn_guitarist25
hmmmm does it sound muddy on the clean channel? what were your settings? maybe its got something to do with the pickups on the ibanez but i doubt it

Level: 5
Bass: 6
Mid: 6
Treble: 5

I doubt it's the settings, nor the pickups. I think it's just the fact that it distorts at high volumes.
this is confusing... what to get first? A less-than-sucky guitar, or an amp with a useable clean channel?
lol. if you dont use your clean that much get a new guitar but if the clean is really killing you and you use it alot and your current guitar is still usable then get a new amp
Quote by azn_guitarist25
lol. if you dont use your clean that much get a new guitar but if the clean is really killing you and you use it alot and your current guitar is still usable then get a new amp

I use cleans quite a bit, but my guitar is also pretty ****e... ugh...

Do all tube amps' clean channels distort?
No, but I would recommend the ESP Viper 400, not 500. Why? Because I hate satin finishes, its the same price yet you can get better paint jobs, satin isn't glossy so if you get oil on the guitar, it leaves a spot, and the 400 actually has nice inlays in all of the major frets. Oh, and just as a note, EMGs have amazing cleans, you just have to know how to get them. Here is a soundclip of them using my Peavey Click here to listen .
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Last edited by SGStrummer61 at Jul 30, 2006,
Quote by SGStrummer61
No, but I would recommend the ESP Viper 400, not 500. Why? Because I hate satin finishes, its the same price yet you can get better paint jobs, satin isn't glossy so if you get oil on the guitar, it leaves a spot, and the 400 actually has nice inlays in all of the major frets.

I actually quite like the satin finish on the 500...
The LTD is a really, really good guitar. Definitely go for that. If you don't want to comnpletely sacrifice your clean, buy the Viper 400 with seymour duncan pickups.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Suprised noone asked this, what kind of music do you listen to? Besides H.I.M. The Ibanez has medium frets which IMO are a pain in the ass (They are small as hell). But you never know, you might like them. If you play a lot of cleans and some light distorted stuff, I say go for the Strat. If you play a lot of distortion and rarely some cleans, go for the LTD. The Ibanez is just... ugh... I suggest something else. Do you need a trem? Or are you looking for a hardtail bridge? Also a thin neck or fat neck or medium neck or does it not matter.

Also how much is 700 euros (By the guitars, looks like its your price range) in dollars?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 30, 2006,
I'm actually looking at the pounds :p My price range is about 550 pounds max. I listen to newer Misfits, InMe, Muse, The Birthday Massacre, AFI...

I use distorted a lot more than cleans, but I still use cleans and light distortion quite a bit. If I knew a place where I could upload a couple of clips of my playing, I would. My influences don't say much about my style. We just happen to sound quite a bit like HIM, Lacrimas Profundre, that kinda thing.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Jul 30, 2006,
How much is 550 euros in dollars?

Edit: I found out its 700 US dollars.

I suggest:
An Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 319 euros
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68272

An Epiphone Tonni Iommi SG 395 euros
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=9550

Thats all I got for now.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Last edited by altarofdemise at Jul 30, 2006,
They're quite a downgrade from the ESP, though, aren't they?

I'll probably get a new amp sometime afterwards, too... I just need to get a job sine I got fired from homebase last week!
I was trying to look for an LTD with Duncans in your price range, couldn't find any. Sorry. But thats all I could think of. I say go for the SG though. IMO I hate Les Pauls.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Quote by altarofdemise
I was trying to look for an LTD with Duncans in your price range, couldn't find any. Sorry. But thats all I could think of. I say go for the SG though. IMO I hate Les Pauls.

They have quite a few on Thomann methinks
Quote by Aidy Damage
So, my current amp (Randall RG50TC) will last me a while... however, my current guitar (Ibanez GRG170DX) WON'T. So, I need a new guitar!

To make it easier for you, I've narrowed it down to 3 guitars:

Fender Powerhouse Strat

+ Lots of versatility
+ Great range of clean and distorted tones- the distorted tones are great!
+ Cheapest of the 3
- Vintage tremolo- bye bye tuning stability!

ESP LTD Viper 500

+ Mahogany body and EMG pickups- lots of fat, heavy tone
+ Decent hardware
+ Great cosmetics
- I can kiss goodbye to any chance of a decent clean tone
- It's the most expensive of the 3

Ibanez IC400

+ Mahogany body- fat tone.
+ Solid build
+ Even cheaper on GAK
- Worst pickups of the 3
- Finding a case is going to be a bugger...

I'm also open to suggestions! I play 'goth' rock by the way.

Get the IC400, my friend has one and it's awesome. You would want to get rid of the pick ups though, but it is an awesome guitar once you get some new pick ups. You can get a case for it on the website.
Last edited by The way to hate at Jul 30, 2006,
The frets on the Iceman are just so small. It makes me mad. I say go for the EC400 Goldtop. I thought your max was 500 euros? Thats why I was so limited on suggestions.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Quote by altarofdemise
The frets on the Iceman are just so small. It makes me mad. I say go for the EC400 Goldtop. I thought your max was 500 euros? Thats why I was so limited on suggestions.

500 pounds, not euros I'm in the UK.
that ltd i friggen awesome
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Page 1 of 2