hello guys im a bit worried if my strings are too high above the fretboard.. im just askin what is the ideal height of the string above the fretboard coz my string is like 2mm above the fretboard thanks in advanced guys.. help me out
tilet lickin' gd
i prefer as low as possible without buzzing and then a little bit higher

makes it easier to grip the strings for bends and also allows you to bend up higher in pitch without fretting out
yeah when i had a guitar set up for shred i had really low action with a moderately high relief for better bending you really need to take both into account.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
there is no ideal height, just generally lowish but make sure its comfortable to you and doesn't buzz or anything.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
but i get fret buzz and stuff if i go below 2mm and when i fret the guitar i get buzz noise from the next fret. like ( when i play 6fret B string i get F# it should be F) i think it touches the next fret.. oh by the way i use Ibanez GSA60 dunno how to get low other than 2mm.. and umm how will i know if my guitar is like fake or something?? haha coz i feel like woa it cant go any lower than 2mm.. when i go lower the strings it sounds the same note when i play
tilet lickin' gd
Last edited by ToiletBowl at Jul 30, 2006,
Check your neck relief and see whether its proper or not, then get the action as low and as less buzz as possible. Remember to check every fret for buzz, just do normal chromatics routine. Dont strike strings too hard coz it will lead to acoustic buzz, which you dont want to hear. Strike it just as if you're striking your guitar when the amp is on. After you're happy with your action and all, then check the intonation.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks guys. i checked everything tho.. but still i cant go lower than 2mm wahhhhh coz when i play its all the same notes i think the string rest at the higher frets
tilet lickin' gd
i think i heard somewhere (probably UG) that factory standard for ibanez (not sure what model) is 2mm on low E and a little lower on high e... i'm not really sure...
anyway i have action that high on my jackson and i find it the most comfortable action for me. but i don't shred...
Factory standard Ibanezes are setup to be 2mm above the 12th fretwire on the bass side and 1.5mm above the 12th fretwire on the treble side. If it has individual string height adjuster then the strings in between are gradually increased/decreased.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ohh. haha so i ended up in doing the same thing then.. haha anyway ive adjusted the tremolo plate.. and like the left side is like super low you can actually see the inclination(correct me if my spelling is wrong)... is this ok im just a bit worried to use the whammy bar coz it feels like im gonna break the tremolo bar
tilet lickin' gd
Nah, the SAT10 is pretty sturdy, it wouldnt break, just that the knife edges "may" bent coz the incline is too much.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Extremely high!!

Well mines like.. 1.5 cm off the 12th fret.
Ridiculous, but hey, I like it that way.
ummm the tremolo plate i said was the thingy at the back of the guitar which holds the springs... im a bit worried coz it might break becoz of the inclination....anyway thanks guys.. haha im just gonna work on the feel on my guitar coz im a bit new to electric guitar.
tilet lickin' gd
is ur bridge level?

its ok to keep it tight back there. but it needs to be level, not sunk in or too lifted.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the bridge level is just fine its parallel to the body of the guitar.. its floating like 5mm above the body both left and right bolts. of the SAT10
tilet lickin' gd
Last edited by ToiletBowl at Jul 30, 2006,
i couldnt get my 1st string (12 fret) action below 1.5 mm. it will causes fret buzz. 2.0 mm seems high for me.. so around 1.7mm
Quote by faridzayish
i couldnt get my 1st string (12 fret) action below 1.5 mm. it will causes fret buzz. 2.0 mm seems high for me.. so around 1.7mm

dude, he's been playing this guitar at whatever height for like 5 years.

Dont Bump Old Threads

unless you have a valid and current question pertaining to that subject.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011