I'm thinking about getting new pickups for my mahogany bodied Ibanez RGT (H-H config), and I've seen Swineshead mentioned 'round these parts. I play all kinds of metal mostly, so for the bridge I'd want it as heavy as possible, something great for palm mutes, pinch harmonics, etc, I use the neck for lead anyway. I was thinking an X-Bucker or Venom for the bridge.

so a few questions:
1. will it make that much difference?
2. which is heavier -- venom or x-bucker?
3. is it worth replacing the INF1 pickup on the neck for the Condor?

I use a Vox AD50VT amp and I'm in England and if possible, I'd rather not get EMGs.
1. will it make that much difference?

what pickups are in there already? inf ones? if so, yes.

2. which is heavier -- venom or x-bucker?

xbucker, as far as i know (i haven't tried them, I'm just going by the specs).

3. is it worth replacing the INF1 pickup on the neck for the Condor?

yup. but if you're going for metal, unless you're only going to use the neck pickup for cleans and blues, i'd maybe consider the runaway, maybe even the warthog, instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well from what ive got it on which is hevaiest: The Xbucker, but it has a dark tone and the Venom is bright.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ agreed. Should have said that, they're both hot enough that you should probably pick based on the tone. Email swineshead to see though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
right cool.. well, if they're both equally heavy, then I may aswell get the X-Bucker, for the darker tone. I'll email Swineshead though, good idea.

yes, I'm using the standard INFs right now.
and yes, I'd be using the neck to play cleans and blues. occasionally hi-gain creamy leads too, but I'd want the neck to be as warm as possible.

I assume I'll need 52mm spacing, right?
Last edited by Supersonic^ at Jul 30, 2006,
^ i think you want 52mm spacing for the bridge, I don't think it matters for the neck either way.

Would you be using the neck pickup for any metal solos? if not, you might get away with the condor. but yeah, email jon @ swineshead- for all i know, the runaway might be the warmer pickup!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Well i own a Runaway (bridge posistion) and it sounds like a PAF, but a bit hotter, but ahs ncie cleans, but a nice bite and awesome crunch.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I just checked out the Xbucker which sounds awesome. Whats with the wood pickups tho?. Maybe they are better because of increased resonance or something?
^ nah, they just look nicer (if you like 'em). Not really worth it, IMO- either get the plastic ones, since they're cheap, or get BK's.

The wood vastly increases the price for no real gains (though I admit I just don't like the looks, so I'm biased).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay?^ ya the wood bobins arent worth it since its like $30 USD more per pup for no increase in tone, just looks if you like them, the magnet and windings are what makes the tone in a pickup, the xbucker and runaway should be great for you, the condor will be too clean for anything more than rock or blues solos probably, the runaway will be much more versitile and still have great cleans
^ do you know how to solder?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ exactly. take it to someone to do it for you, in that case. or else buy a soldering iron and use the week long wait to practice soldering (buy a little switch or something and practice on that).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm looking at buying some swinesheads, looking at getting a spotlight neck, pyro mid, and warthog bridge, but how would these sound in alder? i'd get them calibrated.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
^ i don't know if you can get them calibrated, they aren't really designed to go together...

I have a warthog bridge, spotlight middle, and condor neck in basswood. I guess they'd sound pretty good in alder. Mine sound great in basswood, very warm- the alder would brighten them up a little, which would be quite nice, I'd have thought. Don't know about the pyro, obviously, what tones are you after with the middle pickup? and what tones are you after with the other pickups? what amp do you have?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?