right i have been playing guitar for a few months now, im self taught, i am making good progress and can play most things i put my hab=nd to but ive never learned any scales and i was wondering where to start, there are so many which are the main ones that i should learn and which ones should i start with,
i play rock, metal, classic rock, if that helps
Major and Minor scales probably, memorize it all, patterns of the box and notes.
The mode names for Major and Minor are Ionian and Aeolian...
what? lol, wot the hell are the boxes, i need the tabs for these where can i get them and, wot are modes?
IM a self taught player with a lot of ****... and by self taught i mean no books or anything until recently. but i lay pretty decently. first off, you need to learn how to pick the good way. up and down or "alternate picking" Then to learn scales you need to download Guitar Pro 5, man i wish i used this program when it came out because of using it recently my skill is just sky rocketing. go aherad and download it and use it. ALL of the scales known to man are saved on this program message me personaly
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are Choosing to be here, right now. Hold on, stay inside..."
TOOL Parabola
Quote by VamphyricGibson
IM a self taught player with a lot of ****... and by self taught i mean no books or anything until recently. but i lay pretty decently. first off, you need to learn how to pick the good way. up and down or "alternate picking" Then to learn scales you need to download Guitar Pro 5, man i wish i used this program when it came out because of using it recently my skill is just sky rocketing. go aherad and download it and use it. ALL of the scales known to man are saved on this program message me personaly

Scles are alot more than just "patterns" or "boxes"
Been away, am back
go to www.myguitarsolo.com, they have all the scales you'll need, but before you blankly memorize certain patterns or boxes, learn why you play that pattern, that box, what makes a certain scale that scale, just learn the theory behind it, it'll make learning new stuff/improvising so much easier, you'll thank yourself in a few months when it kicks in and takes your playing to the next level
Also, when you learn modes, learn the changes you make to the notes of the major scale when you play Phrygian, or Aeolian, or whatever. To find, lets say a D Dorian, you shouldn't have to go through all the major scales and find in which scale D is the 2nd note. You should be able to say "Well for Dorian you flat the 7th and 3rd so the notes will be DEFGABC".