ok i'll give you the story, my girlfreinds best freind has been having a really hard time lately and she wants to learn bass, and we want to cheer her up so we're gonna buy her a bass.

now the problem is money, i'm guestimating around AUS$150 - $200, so my question is this, what's a decent new or second hand bass for this money?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
if you live in sydney, go to venuemusic in the city and buy a squier california, they're pretty good, i've got some special california p-bass and i like it or go for a ibanez gsr200
Squires and the like are nice cheap pieces that dont sound great. However, they dont sound bad either, and for a beginner like her it's perfect. Get one new at the store, you can find them for around 100 US. A cheap bass amp to go with it is even cheaper. I live in Japan, so I am guessing with Aus being close we get some similar brands. Look for "History" made guitars and basses. Cheap as dirt 10000 yen and they feel like they won't fall apart. Hell she might be happy with one of those micro cubes.
^yeah i was sorta thinkin a squier or something a long those lines but another option is to personalise an older beat up bass and do it up, i have a couple of artsy freinds who could do a bit of art on it and i think we'd all like to sign it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects