How do the Peavey Classic 50 2x12 circa 1980 amps stack up against the new ones? Are there any problems with these old versions?

Cheers
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
I know that the mid 80's Classic 50's were very good (just as good as the new ones). They were maybe a little nosier but still provide the same great tone as the newer ones.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Thanks - Anyone here tried or have one? If so can you give a little review - Cheers.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
I've played one. Both old and new. They're nice amps. Great cleans (very mellow), and a nice, creamy overdrive. However, to me the main appeal of the amp was using pedals. It sounds extremely well with pedals. I loved the lead tone i was getting with a Classic 50 and an Ibanez TS808. If you're into metal or hard rock then they're not great amps to look into. However, for blues/classic rock/rock they're machines.
I've played a newish Classic 30 but never an 80's classic - Not too sure what to expect but been offered one for cheap.

I play jam band stuff so this sounds good for me - Good cleans and overdrive with pedal. How's the overdrive channel?

Also I've heard the onder ones can be quite bright - did you find this?
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
The built-in overdrive is nice. It's adjusting using a pre-amp and power-amp distortion control set (pre and post gain, I think they're labelled). I put the pre gain up all the way, and the volume (post-gain) on about 3-4. Also, I play with a darker tone (EQ'd with mids at about 4 and bass about 8. Usually highs at 6-7), so I didn't find the amp bright. I also added a bit of reverb to give my tone some depth and it sounds a bit darker that way too. I don't think youll have a problem with the amp at all.