hey

i play bass and can also sing a little (classically trained, but adjusting slowly)...

my question is if anyone knows any tricks to make it easier to play bass while singing...mostly just backing vocals....

I can play the limited number of chords I know on guitar whist singing, but I find it much harder to play a bassline, even the simplest, quavers on root notes variety.

Are there any tricks that anyone knows, or is it just practicing the two parts so much that you don't have to think about either of them??
Learn the bass so you can play it while your sleeping, and do the same with the lyrics...
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
i do the same but i split lead vocals with our guitarist, its kinda just do it with practise, definately bassline first, as long as u don't really have to think about teh bass then its all gd. the singing u kinda have to think about, don't think that is avoidable, but yeh as long as the u have the bass down its a **** load easier.
i think its just practicing until you can do it frontwards, backwards, sideways, upside-down, diagonally, etc without thinking about it (my teachers words, lol)...

Another thing is, if you're bashing root notes or a simple riff, try using a pick...I can sing while playing bass much easier with a pick instead of fingers, I dont know why...I usually play with fingers but pickstyle helps my singing, granted I'm not a very good singer but it gives me an extra edge needed to concentrate more on the vocals then the playing...which is good because sometimes I like to sing the lead vocals while playing, but usually I do backing...

I dont think there are many tricks to it though...just practicing using your left brain and right brain at the same time...multi-tasking...whatever.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Play the bassline 'til you can play it without looking. Then watch a T.V. show movie etc. while playing the bassline if you can actually remember what the show was about then it means you know the bassline well enough to start singing good with it. (It is a little overkill but it works)
You've got to start simply and then build up your skills. Something simple to do would be, singing the backup to My Generation by The Who. On bass you'll just be playing two notes, and singing a simple backup line. To be able to do this, you'll have to get the bass part down first, and then get the singing down. After that, put both of them together and start slowly, then faster. TADAH! You can sing and play bass.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
iAnother thing is, if you're bashing root notes or a simple riff, try using a pick...I can sing while playing bass much easier with a pick instead of fingers, I dont know why...I usually play with fingers but pickstyle helps my singing, granted I'm not a very good singer but it gives me an extra edge needed to concentrate more on the vocals then the playing...which is good because sometimes

it is most likly(sp?) due to that when you play with your fingers you are alternating cause more concntration need to your fingers, but with a pick its more automatic up down up down up down etc w/ just the motion of you wrist in place of 2 alternating appendeges
its how much your subconscience(major sp) state works
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Quote by metaljunkie
it is most likly(sp?) due to that when you play with your fingers you are alternating cause more concntration need to your fingers, but with a pick its more automatic up down up down up down etc w/ just the motion of you wrist in place of 2 alternating appendeges
its how much your subconscience(major sp) state works

yea that thing.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."