I'm sure a lot of you have seen or heard about the problems facing tab sites due to copywrite infringement.

I hope the vast majority of you will agree with me that this is an insane over reaction to only possible and minor lawbreaking. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I (and hopefully a lot of you guys) can fight this, please tell me.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about see this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
WILL!!
its all rediculous that music has become a business. back in the days of the early blues, songs were't Robert Johnson's songs or Muddy Water's songs, they were blues songs. anyone could take them and play them and change them any which way they saw fit, and no one had a damn problem.
I would almost no where without free tablature
Last edited by $Guitarist$ at Jul 30, 2006,
"The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income," he said. "But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance."

its all about these companies making money. in reality i dont think most of the bands care about tab sites cause i have never heard anyone complain about them before this dip**** did so why start a problem. jeez all the money hungry corparations are killing the music itself just to make a quick buck. tabs really dont seem that harmful to the musicians themselves just their record labels and the people that work for them. the musicians are still making money off of their tours and record sales so why would a tab book be such a problem?
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
Quote by $Guitarist$
I would almost no where without free tablature

Shame the tablature got in the way of the english lessons.
Quote by altronataku
Old news.

But I'm going to hire a hitman to kill Lauren Kieser.

yeah i know its pretty old news but there corporations are just starting to take action against the tab sites...
WILL!!
Quote by Tom Martin
Shame the tablature got in the way of the english lessons.

Crap, Summer Vacation has ruined me.
I say go back to vinyl.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by VoodooChild15
I say go back to vinyl.

Seconded.

Vinyl > Everything
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
Wouldn't bands be flattered to have their song tabbed out? I don't think any barring metallica would care.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Heh, I really should have read the whole article before my response. I'd edit it if I could, but I can't due to the lame parental controls I've brought up several times before. Anyway, that's absolutely rediculous. I'm really sickened by all the shameless greed in the industry.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
boo hoo i cant make more than 6mil a year boo hoo i want more! You make music, you like it, you do it for enjoyment and get paid! People work their ass off to save lives everyday and what do they get? **** loads less than you. Like ****in footballers. Stop being greedy. You get enough. faggots.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
That's pretty retarded the music industry is way too greedy, and most tab books cost $20+ dollars, that's more then most CDs.
What are they gonna do next, sue us for learning songs by ear?
Youve been............ THUNDERSTRUCK!!!!!!!!!
Quote by kermitclein
I'm sure a lot of you have seen or heard about the problems facing tab sites due to copywrite infringement.

I hope the vast majority of you will agree with me that this is an insane over reaction to only possible and minor lawbreaking. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I (and hopefully a lot of you guys) can fight this, please tell me.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about see this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

The argument I use is this:

TAB isn't always 100% correct. Even some of the TAB books that YOU sell are incorrect in places, and for people to submit TAB on the internet there are usually atleast 3 mistakes, and in some TABs, sometimes what you're looking for is impossible to find, or you have to sift through a bunch of TABs that are completely WRONG. TAB is a very valuable learning tool, and I've learned how to play many songs as well as many techniques because of it. Plus, there aren't TAB books to certain songs that I want to learn that are on the internet, as well as the fact that I may not want to learn the whole album. I like the fact that I can learn one song from an album that I'm interested in playing without losing 20 bucks over it because of you greedy pigs deciding that you wanna make money off of someone elses music.

I'm not completely sure if the musicians who actually write the songs get money from the labels for the TAB books sold either... They should if they don't, but I'm pretty sure that they do.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
anyone else click the link and immediately think "that's a pretty cool guitar"?
I will fuc
What I don't get is why the **** aren't we aloud to interpert stuff from our own ears. Damn metallica ruins everything.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
i would rather go and buy the book but wat if i hav no money? the majority of people these days would rather go on UG the get off there lazy ass's and go down to the local music store
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/NotsodumbnowamI.jpg[/img]
George Bush - "More than just a euphanism of pubic hair" - Colin Mocharie

MySpace be my friend,...... please?

Quote by iamded
My god... so simple... yet so fucking genius! You rock.
we had a debate about this in lit the other day cept it was about illegal music and stuff such as getting stuff from limewire but i brought it into tablature and personally i think its all BS just because someone figures out how to play a song by ear and writes it down one teh internets makes it copyright infringement... pretty soon kareoke(sp?) is gonna be illegal...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
"At what point does describing how one plays a song on guitar become an issue of copyright infringement? This website, among other things, helps users teach each other how they play guitar parts for many different songs. This is the way music teachers have behaved since the first music was ever created. The difference here is that the information is shared by way of a new technology: the internet.
When you are jamming with a friend and you show him/her the chords for a song you heard on the radio, is that copyright infringement? What about if you helped him/her remember the chord progression or riff by writing it down on, say, a napkin...infringement? If he/she calls you later that night on the phone or emails you and you respond via one of those methods, are you infringing? I don't know."

-Rob Balch of Guitar Tab Universe. Wise man.
Quote by rooster456
"At what point does describing how one plays a song on guitar become an issue of copyright infringement? This website, among other things, helps users teach each other how they play guitar parts for many different songs. This is the way music teachers have behaved since the first music was ever created. The difference here is that the information is shared by way of a new technology: the internet.
When you are jamming with a friend and you show him/her the chords for a song you heard on the radio, is that copyright infringement? What about if you helped him/her remember the chord progression or riff by writing it down on, say, a napkin...infringement? If he/she calls you later that night on the phone or emails you and you respond via one of those methods, are you infringing? I don't know."

-Rob Balch of Guitar Tab Universe. Wise man.

i remember that site. I read that exact statement. he went down a hero

R.I.P Guitar tab universe
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/NotsodumbnowamI.jpg[/img]
George Bush - "More than just a euphanism of pubic hair" - Colin Mocharie

MySpace be my friend,...... please?

Quote by iamded
My god... so simple... yet so fucking genius! You rock.