Which part of your finger tip to you use to fret notes? Particularly with the fourth finger.
The tip - in particular the part which gives me most effieciency. That is, the part which gives me the most control and strength with least amount of effort, which is normally near the side.

Make sure the distal joint on your pinky is bending.

Play around for a bit, and when you hit the 'spot' I'm talking about, you'll know.
Index: tip on the side
Middle: right on the tip
Ring: right on the tip
Pinky: tip on the side

That's just the general case. The way your hand is configured, your index and
pinky kind of lean outwards when fretting (they kind of form a V shape). So,
they generally fret a bit on the side as well as tip.
I've messed around a bit and have found two positions that work but I'm not sure which is the optimum for me. Can some one post up a picture of how you do it if it's not too much to ask?
^There's no point anyone posting a picture, the 'spot' is going to differ from finger to finger.

Really, the only thing you can do is experiment with it - finding the spot which gives you the most pressure for least amount of effort which will inevitably lead to better form.

It's not good just sitting there and thinking 'Oh, this feel good' without giving it much thought - you have to be aware - and when you're aware and paying attention you can sense the optimum spot for that particular finger in accordance with the leverage of your arm. The 'spot' is going to differ from playing situation to playing situation, but when you've found it, you never really lose it regardless of the situation.

The opposite applies also though, if you're not on the 'spot' it can tense up your entire arm and body and negatively affect the way you play.

Minimum effort & maximum relaxation
I took a class from a great jazz bass player who really summed the left hand technique up simply. Here's what he said..........

Let your hand hang down at your side, your fingers should be curved slightly, like a claw. This is basically the shape you'll want to be in on your neck. So, put your hand up on the neck, with the thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, and your fingers curved and completely relaxed.....This is how your left hand should fret the notes.

Personally, my index finger is kinda angled when I play so my callous is on the side closest to my thumb. I fret with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers right in the middle of the tip. NOT TOO close to the fingernail. You don't want the string digging under your fingernail. Just on the tip......

Hope this helps.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Make sure the distal joint on your pinky is bending.

Play around for a bit, and when you hit the 'spot' I'm talking about, you'll know.

yea for about a month i played wit my pinky tip but not near the nail so my finger would bend backwards a bit and after some time i would have a sore finger. Im trying to break that habit now so i dont kill my hands within a year.
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`

Personally, my index finger is kinda angled when I play so my callous is on the side closest to my thumb. I fret with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers right in the middle of the tip. NOT TOO close to the fingernail. You don't want the string digging under your fingernail. Just on the tip......

Hope this helps.

allready had that one happen once...it kills