This is my cover of Ocean, the epic instrumental from john butler, played on a 6 string (as opposed to john's eleven).

Try and look past the shoddy recording/editing - that's really not my forte, comment on my playing. I know the editing is bad, but it's the best I could do for such a dynamic song.

This cover doesn't stick to any tabs out there, it's a combination of several live versions and the studio version, though if you know the song you'll recognise this straight away.

Second one down

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
I couldn't get it to work with media player, on hi fi and low fi. What format is it in?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
it's mp3 - it should work? Try downloading it.

i've just reuploaded it to make sure.

Ok well it works now, thats wierd.

I really like this song and have been thinking about learning it. Your cover sounds pretty awesome. You seemed to have really captured the feeling that John has when playing it. The legato section around 1:40 sounds a little wierd, maybe just becuase you're using a 6 string. I think you did a really good job.

What program did you use? And which string is he missing on his "11 string" ?

Your classical gas cover is awesome too, I checked it out while you were re-uploading this one. Thanks for the great music!
And Eternity in an hour
legato section? Do you mean the tapping part??

yeah that part was near impossible to play. tapping does sound totally different on a twelve string - i brought out as much tone on that part without ripping my fingers to shreds.

thanks for your comments - with regards to your questions: I used cool edit pro, and i have a samson microphone wired up to a behringer mic100 ultragain tube preamp, and john is missing his fifth string - i can't remember what the string is noted as though?

Quote by ask_withnail
legato section? Do you mean the tapping part??

I mean where you tap and hold the note with your right hand and then hammer on and pull off a lot of times with your left hand without picking the notes and making it sound very smooth. He does it this way live and in the recorded versions. Legato, no?
And Eternity in an hour
yeah sorry, my musical vocabulary is a bit rusty. I thought that was the part you were talking about. Ocean is really the only song i seriously attempted any legato, so you can understand why it's a bit rough.

oh, thanks for your comment on classical gas too - appreciated. I'll listen to your cover of Dee when I get back home, i dont have sound here.

Brilliant.

It wasn't note perfect, but that's a good thing. Also, kudos for the quality of the recording.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
So you just worked it out from listening and watching different performances?
from 3:00 onwards did you use any tabs? thats my favourite part (recognized from st gallens) and would love it if you could direct me to a tab you might of basically used for that bit. (if you even used one at all)
ive never heard someone cover john butler before, that stuff is insane, and all of his live performances have special sections in songs dedicated to improv... one of the best aussie bands, definately needs to get heard by anyone.... and this is coming from a metal head

pity the tabs for his songs aren't too great, some cherry lane books would help ALOT lol, i challenge anyone to work out that stuff
Awesome cover, I could never do that. And you added your own touch, or maybe it was note-for-note, John seems to play it different every time.
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
Quote by mooshoepork
So you just worked it out from listening and watching different performances?
from 3:00 onwards did you use any tabs? thats my favourite part (recognized from st gallens) and would love it if you could direct me to a tab you might of basically used for that bit. (if you even used one at all)

Yeah, i've never seen JB live, so i just watched some videos and ofcourse listened to the studio version over and over.

From 3:00 onwards i used bits from Johns performance at the max sessions, you can find some parts i used [="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/john_butler_trio/ocean_live_tab.htm"]here. But that's the only tab I used. The rest is by ear or made up by myself, based around the chords john uses (it's open tuning - makes it easier).

I may tab my cover, but it'll take a while.

thanks for the comments peeps - good to know it all pays off in the end!

Thanks for that, it is really good, well done

EDIT: you mean open G?
Last edited by mooshoepork at Jul 31, 2006,
No, it's in open C tuning: CGCGCE, capo the 4th fret

nice job, withnail. somebody else already mentioned it, but i wanted to hit on it again.... you have done a really remarkable job capturing the emotion in this song. it's really a pleasure to listen to.

somebody asked earlier which string John Butler is missing on his 11-string... it's the higher octave G string.
Listening. . .

First off, the recording quality is great. Definately lacks the confidence and ease that JB plays this song with, but still sounds good. It's a fairly difficult song anyways. Making good way on your 6 string, although it would sound much fuller on 12.

You seem to be speeding up, but the tempo increase could definately be a bit more gradual and not so apparent. Crescendo more, if possible. Around 5:14, it would be nice to hear some type of climax to lead back down to the softer part. Sounds like you're just noodling around, song is losing structure as you play it out.

Starting up again, just phased out? I'm going to assume that was intentional? Didn't like it, though.

Excellent job. I just might go learn this - I've been meaning to, but I'm lazy.

Quote by Mascot

You seem to be speeding up, but the tempo increase could definately be a bit more gradual and not so apparent. Crescendo more, if possible. Around 5:14, it would be nice to hear some type of climax to lead back down to the softer part. Sounds like you're just noodling around, song is losing structure as you play it out.

Starting up again, just phased out? I'm going to assume that was intentional? Didn't like it, though.

Excellent job. I just might go learn this - I've been meaning to, but I'm lazy.

yeah much of the song was improvised during recording, the soft parts especially. During those I would be planning what to play next - as I said, this is my rendition with exerpts of JB's live and studio performance dotted around, hence the sporadic structure.

jim - thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Can't say i listen to John Butler but you have done a lovely job with this, for a home recording and such an epic instrumental I really have to take my hat of to you.
Quote by Rundle
Awesome cover, I could never do that. And you added your own touch, or maybe it was note-for-note, John seems to play it different every time.

He does play it differently every time, because it changes with him.
I decided I wanted to leran this song a while ago but then I realised it would defeat the purpose of the song.
It's his song. As he grows it grows and therefor I would never be able to do the song justice or understand and represent the feel of the piece.

It's an amazing song and well done for your incredible attempt. But it's not Ocean unless John Butler plays it.
~ J6hn