My custom bass is almost finished, i just need some suggestions on Passive P+J Pickup sets, i think later on i'll put in a Aguilar OBP-3 to help tone but right now i just need a passive set of P+J's

Looking for a punchy type of tone.
Seymour duncan SPB-3 for the P.

not sure about the J though.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I know you said passive but if you want punch, go active and get EMGs.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Screw seymour duncans, they're FTL.

Nordstrand NP4 + NJ4SV + Audere Z-mode preamp FTW!
haha
i got these Select by EMG pickups in my bass and they sound great on clean (at least i like it, not sure if others will) never tried effects with them (but alas i am too broke to afford effects)
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
I'm not to fond of active pickups, my other bass has two passive soaps + preamp and i like it very much.

That nordstrand P/J set looks nice, anyone have expierence with them? What's the tone like?

I usually play clean (I use a Roland Super Cube 15" with a 2x10 Extension with a Bass POD XT)

edit: i'll be putting in the OBP-3 much later as this bass has run up a pretty penny already so i just want to get some pickups in it and play it :-D
Last edited by Embryodead at Jul 30, 2006,
Try out some Barts, there always nice, are you gonn ahave an active pre-amp?
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
yea if your gonna go wth an active pre-amp, i would suggest some barts they sound really nice with active preamps
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I'd get the Audere Z pre

Hrm, i've never heard of Audere, i'm at their site right now and was expecting the pre-amp to be like..300 dollars, but for 170 i'm going to look into it!

so i've been told Bart's and Nord's i guess it's between those two.

edit: after looking it doesn't look like the Audere would be possible with the current drilled layout of my bass :-/ i'll have to talk to the local guitar shop after the body work is completed to see if it would be possible.

I know the OBP-3 would go in though.
Last edited by Embryodead at Jul 30, 2006,
I have Aero's in mine. All my future basses will have them as well.
Too bad you settled on a P and J. I love the sound of my passive high-output Hagstrom pickup in my 1965 Guild Starfire. www.hammoneng.com makes updated versions of them called Dark Star Pickups, and they sound REAL nice.

The original Hagstroms are the "Holy Grail" of pickups. The Dark Stars build on the original design, making improvements. Jack Casady and Phil Lesh both loved the full spectrum sound of these pickups, which is why they were used for the first experiments in active circuitry in basses (Alembic was born from these experiments).

You need to at least pop into the website and give them a listen. They have a tone that is big and punchy, but with an edge of "nasty". You can literally hear the layers of metal inside the pickups saturating and releasing the stored magnetic energy--it makes for an amazing tone. The bassist from Wilco swears by them, they have a great reputation for TONE, and they have cult status among bassists in the know. Give them a listen and tell me what you think. You can't get a tone like that from a P or a J pickup.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by jaco de lucia
Too bad you settled on a P and J. I love the sound of my passive high-output Hagstrom pickup in my 1965 Guild Starfire. www.hammoneng.com makes updated versions of them called Dark Star Pickups, and they sound REAL nice.

The original Hagstroms are the "Holy Grail" of pickups. The Dark Stars build on the original design, making improvements. Jack Casady and Phil Lesh both loved the full spectrum sound of these pickups, which is why they were used for the first experiments in active circuitry in basses (Alembic was born from these experiments).

You need to at least pop into the website and give them a listen. They have a tone that is big and punchy, but with an edge of "nasty". You can literally hear the layers of metal inside the pickups saturating and releasing the stored magnetic energy--it makes for an amazing tone. The bassist from Wilco swears by them, they have a great reputation for TONE, and they have cult status among bassists in the know. Give them a listen and tell me what you think. You can't get a tone like that from a P or a J pickup.

I went P and J because i have an Ibanez SRX 700 with an Aguilar OBP-3 in it right now so i wanted to go with something with an entirely different tone

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX700