Ok so my band is playing at a local coffee shop. We're playing 12 songs over an hour and a half with a break in between. We are playing in early september and meeting once or twice a week for about a month. I have never gigged and the guy im gigging with has done it maybe once or twice.

Of the 12 songs, 4 are our originals. We have a lot of friends and people coming and im kinda nervous.

What can i do to get ready and be confident for the gig. (telling me to practice doesnt help)?

Whats should i watch out for and be sure to focus on so i dont embarass myself. What can i do to make this a successful gig?

Thanks guys. (im kinda nervous and i know ill really get the nerves on the night of the gig)
when you practice, i suggest practive in front of as many ppl as you can, ie your friends, family, so if you screw up, it's just them, and they know your just practicing.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Once you get there, and you start setting up, and you get on stage and soundcheck and stuff, you completely forget that you're nervous. It can hard in the time leading up to a gig though, so just picture yourselves playing an amazing set and blowing people away.

I don't usually get nervous before a set anymore, except tonight my band is playing with Marianas Trench (604 Records) and they're supposed to be bringing talent scouts
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Have fun. You will be amazed about how this helps.
Quote by King'sXfan590
Emo hating is becoming a bigger trend than being emo.

Quote by 1,57$
Is there mosh pits in James Blunt shows?
Quote by sg4eva

I don't usually get nervous before a set anymore, except tonight my band is playing with Marianas Trench (604 Records) and they're supposed to be bringing talent scouts

wow bro good luck...

anyway for the threadstarter...practicing in front of my family and friends is what i do and it usually works. im not nervous anymore thanks to practicing like that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by JET116

Whats should i watch out for and be sure to focus on so i dont embarass myself. What can i do to make this a successful gig?

DONT FALL OFF THE STAGE!!
one thing- make sure that you dont trip up over leads- makes you look silly, and also can unplug them
Seek & Destroy had the right idea, but I would recommend not doing it in front of friends and family because they are likely to only give you positive feedback. I saw take your equipment to the local park or street and perform a light set. That way people you don't know will hear you and may stop to listen.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
ahh man, just play with heart, its the biggest rush of a life time, playing infront of people is. I love it.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Wow.
Damn lotta covers there, man. Haha, I'm the exact same way. :P

Yeah, all you really need to do is relax... be as confident as possible, and realize that everyone's just there to hear some good music. They're not sitting there picking out the mistakes you may or may not make. Everyone there just wants to rock out and drink coffee.
A coffee shop will generally give you a really good, relaxed atmosphere, so no worries.

You'll do fine.
Just try not to be tense, because the audience feeds off the energy you put off.
Just loosen up, bro.
No worries.
Like everyone said relax. Have fun aswell, as trust me it is especially with a good reaction (which is partially due to whether you are positive or not, so be positive!). At the beginning look somewhere without eye contact until you can make it and then you should have them in your pocket.

Then smash your instruments (kidding)
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
You might want to check out other bands beforehand just to make sure you know how to work the crowd especially if there's a much better band before you guys.

You should also practice the set-up, like knowing how big the stage is and limit yourself to that during practice 'cause I've seen some tiny stages where the bands are crowded and you could knock the bassist off if you move or something (thats usually backyard shows though). Also, be prepared like whos gonna say what, so you guys don't look all confused and waste the crowds time. Other than that make sure you're comfortable playing around others even if it's just your mom like somebody mentioned. And yeah, just let go and have fun. Don't be too stiff and boring on stage.
ALOT of people get nervous when they're about to play an original (especially vocalists). What I suggest is announcing what is an original right after playing it.
#21 OF THE NON-CONFORMIST CLUB
Quote by Zukev
ALOT of people get nervous when they're about to play an original (especially vocalists). What I suggest is announcing what is an original right after playing it.

Yeah, that sounds good to me, but for any vocalists or musicians out there that have a hard time with an original, i sometimes change a certain part of the song to make it easier for me and for it to sound more like something i would play without changing the structure of the whole song.

But to the threadstarter, like everyone else said, Just go out there and enjoy yourself. If you make that key, the will be no fear. The hardest part will probably be walking onto the stage with everyone watching (Just make sure you don't fall over) and after that it's all plain sailing because its such a great experience especially if your puttin 110% into it because the audience will see this and react!
Dont do anything . when you get there , just get your guitar and play giving no **** . try to move and enjoy your playing maybe headbang (if it is metal or anything like that) ppl like that.. i have played live 13 times in greece and the first 3 times i thought i was going to puke but when i got on the stage , people were watching , clapping , cheering , ready to do some headbang and listen to some music , so I grabbed my guitar , prepared my throat and played like I played in practice at a studio. Picturing that nobody is watching and I am playing for myself and enjoying what I am doing. After 3 or 4 times you will be waiting to get up on the stage again , counting the minutes and the hours left... trust me . think like you play alone in your room , nobody is there , maybe close your eyes and make an impression that you are enjoying what you're doing..that was my advice , I hope i will help you . I will play In A live metal festival in a large club with 1000 people in 3 months or so . Young kids from the ages of 18 to 21 will participate... lol I am extremely nervous for that one....lol.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
dude, don't get nervous. if you are singing just picture each person as someone you feel comfortable sining to. if you are playing guitar and you're nervous about it, all you have to do is spen all of your free time practicing and get it perfect. but if you do screw up, don't let it get to you, they will never know unless you do something to make it completely known.
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
Yeah, and if you happen to do something wrong (you probaby won't) don't stop, I've seen a few people do that and it just looks unprofessional.
Beer...not too much, but some works wonders.

Assuming you're underage/don't drink/can't get any, CONFIDENCE!!!!! Just play your **** so much you could do it with both hands and feet tied behind your back. If you're confident in what you're going to be playing it'll come to you without you even realizing it. Your hands will just take over and you'll do fine.
Don't know if this will help but the first time I popped my gigging cherry I was throwing up and generally feeling like crap cos of nerves. Anyway, we get up there and do the first song and the audience clapped and cheered......and I realised that they actually enjoyed it and I wasn't dead and I didn't have to leave town thru embarrasment. What I'm trying to say is that it gets a lot better after you get up there and do it...in fact you'll probably not want to leave the stage. ....lol

HAve fun and good luck