Hi
I'm planning on buying me a used MARK IV but it comes without speaker(it's a combo), what speaker type should I buy and can I just screw it in or how should I do this. Plus can it get this good rectifierdisto or is it weaker than the rectifiers, I could put an IBANEZ tubescreamer 808 in front, will I be able to get nice disto?
Greetz Wouter
I think you should be able to get a nice distortion out of it, but it's different than a recto. It's a very tight sounding gain with an agressive midrange. I use V30's with my Mark IV, and I think it compliments it well. It also sounds good with my Greenbacks, but those are the only 2 I've tried with it. I have some clips on my Dmusic site , the Mark IV clips are labeled at the bottom. I used a recto 4x12 for all the Mark clips. I also use an OD808 to give it a little edge too, I really like it as a tone tightener for both my amps. BTW, is this the same wouter from MX?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I've been a while on MX but lately not anymore, so I think it'll be some other Wouter
BTW thanx for the advice. But if it's different than a recto, will I be able to get to metal disto too(like pantera, metallica, iron maiden etc...)
ahh, ok, I remember a wouter that used to be really good on a squire or fender strat back a while ago. Anyway, I know it can get some good Metallica sounds, and Iron Maiden, but I'm not sure about Pantera. If you boosted it, I'm sure you could come close though. The high gain clips I have are with the OD808 basically adding no OD to it. I keep the OD very low, and the balance cranked up more.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ok thanx, but right now I'm pretty sure that I'll take it and I'm also sure that it's a different Wouter, because I only have a very bad stagg stratocaster type and a way better gibson les paul studio:p
Greetz Wouter
yeah, I think you'll be happy. I think it's great for metal, I love the really agressive sound. Those high gain clips are with the gain at about 7/10 on the Lead channel, so there is also more gain to go than my clips have. It will also handle just about anything you throw at it, great cleans and blues/classic rock too. It's easily one of the most versatile sounding amps I've used. If it's your first time with the Mark, I would recommend using the settings in the manual to start, and then tweaking the sound from there. There are a myriad of tweaks for subtle changes, it's really an amazing amp.
amp clips
amp vids
thanks man
yeah, I consider myself very lucky. They also sound really good together, I'm going to make some clips with both, it's a really kickass sound. I had to eat Ramen soup and PBJ sandwiches for a few months, but it was well worth it.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by dumbasss
Hi
I'm planning on buying me a used MARK IV but it comes without speaker(it's a combo), what speaker type should I buy and can I just screw it in or how should I do this. Plus can it get this good rectifierdisto or is it weaker than the rectifiers, I could put an IBANEZ tubescreamer 808 in front, will I be able to get nice disto?
Greetz Wouter

You need to put an EVM12L in it. Electrvoice just re-released these with Zack Wlyde's name on them. The original Mark IV combo I bought in '91 had one, and the one I bought in '00 did not, so I found one used on eBay and my Mark Iv kicks ass.

EVM12L!!!!! Trust me....
Lava Man

Your One Stop High-End Custom Cable Shop