Okay this seems to be one of my biggest problems when writing a song. I don't really know how to just end it. Like i'll get everything down up to the point that I want to end and it just ends on whatever chord essentially the song started on...

but it's so 'abrupt' and stuff it just sounds wrong to me. What are some suggestions about things that I can do to make it sound better.
depends on what chords you are playing during the song and the tempo. i have found that a slow song sounds best with a slow stum of the A minor chord, while a fast song ends best with two or three fast strums of an open c.
i had this same problem until i started to look at other bands songs and i found that a lot of the just used a varation of their opening or main riff to end it.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

just play your main riff one last time and than end on a different chord strummed hard and let it ring.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Go from chord V to chord I, and/or let the last chord ring.

This does work well. Not just for ending songs, but for ending choruses and verses by using the V chord as the end of one section and the I chord as the beginning of the next. If you don't know what he means, I is the root note's chord, usually the one you start/end with, and V is the chord of the note that's a fifth up on the scale. So in the key of G minor, a I chord would be G minor, while the V chord would be a D minor. I find that it sounds better if you make the V chord in a minor scale major, though. Like, ending a song with an A major (the V) followed by a D minor (The I).
^But how do you really end it? Every band that fades their songs out on CDs has an ending.

There's no set way to "end a song." If someone suggests "just do this," they're in idiot. It's song-specific. Just listen to a bunch of your favorite bands, and learn. You get priceless information from just LISTENING to what you want to do....
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Go from chord V to chord I, and/or let the last chord ring.

I always thought it was III and V but that might be blues
without hearing or knowing the song, its impossible to say how it would sound good to end it. some songs repeat the chorus twice(or more) and end after the second/last one (or fade out). others play a nice solo that gives a feeling of fading out. others play the verse or chorus without singing and slowly take away instruments until only one is left to finish the section slowly. others just hold the last chord or have an extra strum of the root chord. heck, it might even sound good to just end halfway through the chorus to get a very abrupt wtf feeling for the end.

as red said, you need to listen to songs and see what they do. thats going to be the best way to figure out what sounds good in what situation. when you hear what bands you like are doing, you can find ways to apply that to your own music. thats the only good way to know how to end a song.
Quote by redwing_suck
^But how do you really end it? Every band that fades their songs out on CDs has an ending.

There's no set way to "end a song." If someone suggests "just do this," they're in idiot. It's song-specific. Just listen to a bunch of your favorite bands, and learn. You get priceless information from just LISTENING to what you want to do....

once again this guy knows whats up, each song should end in its own way, be it a fade, an abrupt ending or a tempo drop or just resolving to the root, to really know the best way to end a song i would recommend some basic composition lessons (either on the internet or via book, these will probably assume you know basic theory) these would include arrangement ideas as well, if you don't want to go through all that, the very least i would recommend is to listen to a lot of bands you like and take some ideas from what they do, maybe the bass and drums fade out and the guitar repeats the melody once or twice more, or maybe it ends on a drum fill and the root notes gets hit out once more, or maybe it plays the root note arpeggiated and cleanly after the song was really heavy to give a contrast, theres a million ways to do it!!!
Quote by iAmCam
Fade out.

Ech. Once in a while, but really that's just a cop-out if you don't have an ending in mind for a live performance.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by suicideangel_2
I always thought it was III and V but that might be blues

Standard blues has no III (or iii) chord. I to V or V to I is a common movement in all genres, but yes, the blues employs it more often than not.
alright everyone is saying the same thing:
listen to your fav. bands and do what they do.

don't do this. unless you want to sound like everyone else.

in which case you might as well take their riffs. and lyrics. and persona.

but if you want to be different and write your own songs, do it.
as some of you mentioned, endings are song specific. sometimes you can end them with a rythmic strumming pattern, sometimes repeat your main riff, but climb up the neck and end suddenly for a huge climax, sometimes you can repeat the chorus and fade out. or you can fade out then come in hard again for about 4 measures and end it quickly.

just remember to be your own musician and mimicking other bands is sometimes ok but its best to write your own stuff.
Quote by purplemunkee
alright everyone is saying the same thing:
listen to your fav. bands and do what they do.

don't do this. unless you want to sound like everyone else.

in which case you might as well take their riffs. and lyrics. and persona.

Where did we say, "Listen to your favorite bands and copy everything they do?" We didn't.

Listening to styles that influence you, sounds that move you, is absolutely KEY to shaping your own style. No style is "original," really--it's always a mix of different influences, you and I BOTH know that.

It's damn near impossible to attain your own sound without first getting to know other ones.

Once again, you're shouldn't copy] your favs, but you should definitely draw characteristics from them. Otherwise, why would we listen to them and play their songs and buy their tab books?
i'm sorry.
i didn't mean to come off that way.

i absolutely agree that you should listen to other bands to develop your style. i just meant not to stay confined to one band (or even style) b/c otherwise we'd have 100 little 'fall out boys' everywhere. and no one needs that.

definitely keep your horizons expanding with new bands and styles, from classical to techno and everything in between, but concentrate on your particular style.

my deepest apologies to all.
It depepends what instruments you have playign aswell.

Say if you had a bass, you could do a scale/chromatic run-down ending on the bass note for the final chord on guitar or you could have the drummer start playing more 'heavily' so it sounds cool if you end it abruptly.

I think a paticulary good live ending is when all the bassist and guitarist all strum the final chord really fast and the drummer goes made then the drummer strikes the symbols triumphantly and you all stop and look cool somehow.
Need.New.Sig.
for me, it depends on the song

sometimes i'll go with the abrupt end, but most of the times ill either end with a ringing chord, fading out, or if there are vocals, ill lower my voice and fade out a bit
It all depends on what your song is like, if its a real rock n' roll song, you can do it KISS-style and spend a long time fret wanking then bash out an ending chord.

Otherwise, I always find its nice to end a song on a chord, and then play a little tinkering melody which is a variation of a melody/solo in the actual song.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by purplemunkee
i'm sorry.
i didn't mean to come off that way.

i absolutely agree that you should listen to other bands to develop your style. i just meant not to stay confined to one band (or even style) b/c otherwise we'd have 100 little 'fall out boys' everywhere. and no one needs that.

definitely keep your horizons expanding with new bands and styles, from classical to techno and everything in between, but concentrate on your particular style.

my deepest apologies to all.

lol uh... no apology needed, bro.

I didn't sense any hostility, and hopefully I didn't give off any.
My favourite way to end a song is a IV - I progression (Also, for you theory types, called a plagal cadence). I like it as it sounds a bit more unique than a V - I or perfect cadence.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
^It's just moving up a fifth, as opposed to down a fifth. Not much of a difference... although I'm sure Cor will have something to input on that...