Quote by Mwoit
Are these bass amps any good? I play mainly rock, metal, funk and indie. Was wondering if it's a good buy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-BW-series-400-Watt-bass-amp_W0QQitemZ180012912644QQihZ008QQcategoryZ58719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There was no such thing as the BW series! The BW is refering to the Black Widow speaker.
Peavey combos were noted for not having much bottom end so as to protect the speakers, quality wise peavey is average and affordable.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
There was no such thing as the BW series! The BW is refering to the Black Widow speaker.
Peavey combos were noted for not having much bottom end so as to protect the speakers, quality wise peavey is average and affordable.

I see. Is the Black Widow Speaker good?

For the price, would this be a sensible buy? I'm moving up from my first amp (Stagg something, 40 watt SS) and looking for something louder to play with my band. Price range is about £150-220, so I guess this would be good? Unless you have any suggestions.
Quote by Mwoit
I see. Is the Black Widow Speaker good?

For the price, would this be a sensible buy? I'm moving up from my first amp (Stagg something, 40 watt SS) and looking for something louder to play with my band. Price range is about £150-220, so I guess this would be good? Unless you have any suggestions.
It's an old amp with an old speaker, I've never been a fan of BW speakers, I would only pay £100 and then you will have some cash left to think of an add on cab.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I see. Thanks for the reply, I think I will skip this auction and wait for another one.
Quote by Mwoit
Oh, I think I will.... doesn't look too good anyway. How are Trace Elliot amps, and would 65 watts be enough for say, jamming and small gigs?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACE-ELLIOT-BOXER-65-BASS-AMP-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ160012069037QQihZ006QQcategoryZ58719QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Trace Elliot Boxer 65
If you will take my advice, don't consider anything les than a 15" speaker.
Most of the lower end combos will not let you add an extension cab, some combos that do let you add an extension disable the internal speaker.
The better/upmarket combos 200/300 watt have facilities to add on an extension can so that you can safely buy a 2x10 combo and add a 15" cab later.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jul 31, 2006,
Well, I've got around £180 on me, and in no rush to buy an amp... Should I go used or get something brand new? The Laney R3 was my original idea but then I started checking on Ebay...
Quote by Mwoit
Well, I've got around £180 on me, and in no rush to buy an amp... Should I go used or get something brand new? The Laney R3 was my original idea but then I started checking on Ebay...
Try and save up a little more money
and go for something that will last a while.
The laney R3 or the Ashdown 15" Electric Blue are both quite reasonable in their price bracket.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Okay, I think I will wait to save up some more in the meantime, but I will consider the Laney R3 (I can try it out in a shop). Thanks!
Quote by Mwoit
Okay, I think I will wait to save up some more in the meantime, but I will consider the Laney R3 (I can try it out in a shop). Thanks!

I've tried both the Laney R3 and the Ashdown, and the Ashdown beats it hands down.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2