Where you just don't feel like playing because of your guitar's quality?

Lately, I haven't been able to play my guitar for more than a hour a day. I just get tired of the crappy tone that I have with it. I've been wanting an old Metallica sound (Kill 'em All---Justice) I still feel like playing a lot, just not with the guitar I have.

I've tried adjusting my amps. I even went and looked for patches for my GT-8 that sounded great on the sound sample, but when I played them on my guitar, they sounded really crappy. So would my guitar be the source of this problem?

I've been playing on a Silvertone Apocalypse Pro w/ Duncan Design pickups. It also has an Agathis body.

I ordered a Jackson DKMG Dinky with the EMG 81/85 combo. But it still hasn't arrived yet. I got the case though

So how much better will the DKMG be than my Silvertone?
No Idea. But Im in that siguatition right now. I have a nice setup. Guitar Rig two with nice settings, a decent amp, and all that. But my guitar is a starter pack Epi Special. Its such a PoS I just don't wanna play it. I plan on getting a Strat or tele soon so OH YEAH!!!
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Never. My first guitar was 1,000 dollars.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by refgerto
Never. My first guitar was 1,000 dollars.

You lucky son of a rich bitch.

I'm starting to get there too lol.
But in a few weeks im gonna get a new guitar probably an epiphone G-310 in Vintage white, I cant wait!
yeah, i just got back from a week on vacation and my uncle was there and he always brings his martin, so i spent a week playing that...

then i come home and play my guitar.

bad.
Not me, i have all my grandpappy's vintage amps and guitars to mooch off of
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
the agathis bodied guitar definately sounds like a major turnoff for guitar quality.

My guitar playing took a dramatic turn for improvement when i bought my american strat. The tough part is spending the money and not knowing whether or not youre going to improve enough.
i had a silvertone for my first guitar to and it sucked dick to but i whent to a pawn shop and bought a 84$ squir or how erver you spell it and and that problem was fixed
Last edited by endless_name at Jul 30, 2006,
Quote by endless_name
i hab a silvertone for my first guitar to and it sucked dick to but i whent to a pawn shop and bought a 84$ squir or how erver you spell it and and that problem was fixed

Uh. You do know that an 84 dollar squier sucks just as much, just with a diffrent sucky sound, right?

yea deafinitely the first guitar got was an acoustic, and the fretboard hurt like crazyeven for my experienced friends, anyway it aint easy learnin to shred on a crappy acustic guitar, but i played constantly for 3 hours a day, it was frusttratin tryin to learn palm mutes pinch harmonics and whammy bar dives on an acoutic but the practice payd off cuz when i transfered to an electric i sounded pretty good
Quote by casualty01

btw, you're annoying me.

banned.

Cas-
Quote by brandonian
your first guitar was 1,000 dollars? wow, how did you manage that?

Im not rich, and im not lucky. I worked hard for the money i spent on that guitar. Okay, in a way im lucky coz i don't have to pay rent, and my family is well off to the point where i don't have to work to make the ends meet, but other than that, i worked my ass off for every penny of those 1,000 bucks. That was my epiphone btw, we have insane prices for guitars in scandinavia.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by refgerto
Im not rich, and im not lucky. I worked hard for the money i spent on that guitar. Okay, in a way im lucky coz i don't have to pay rent, and my family is well off to the point where i don't have to work to make the ends meet, but other than that, i worked my ass off for every penny of those 1,000 bucks. That was my epiphone btw, we have insane prices for guitars in scandinavia.

Oh. Holy ****. How much was your American Strat?

My god, looking at your setup and I'm not surprised you can't get a tone you want. The GT-8 can most defilitely **** thing's up, especially if you haven't taken the time to properly set it up with your amp. Being that you have multiple amps... Well without having major tehcnical skills in the sound area.

You don't need all that ****, start off with a single amp and your GT-8, use the GT-8's master EQ to get a half decent sound. Try making a totally clean patch on the GT-8 with absolutely nothing turned on. Use your amps natural distortion, then add to it with GT-8's distortion pedals. Personally usually stay away from the amp modeling, as I find that it's a
pain in the ass to configure well and I simply can get what I want without using it.

The duncan design pickups aren't spectacular by any means, and you most certainly will be better off with the EMG 81/85. Still you should be able to get very close to what you want on the guitar you have now.

Put it this way, I managed to get a sound that was very close to Hetfields guitar sound on Master of Puppets with a GT-8 a 50w fender concert series amp, and my dad's Strat. Mind you it took me a very very long time.
Quote by zekk
Oh. Holy ****. How much was your American Strat?

Oh, not so much. Only 1,300.. I got it really cheap coz there was a special offer coupled with a small small scratch on one of the horns. Its about 2,000 dollars retail, so i think i got off easy

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Not so much...my first guitar was a midrange RG...I ****ed around with the neck a year ago, so I can't read what kind of RG it "was." It's hardtail, and it's really pretty good for a $500 guitar. My current guitar was purchased for about $1200, with over $400 in aftermarket apparel. Pickups, bridge, electronics, nut?the whole deal.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
no i havent, ive been stuck with crap instruments and eqipment before but since i love to play guitar it didnt really bug me. I mean i wanted better stuff but im not gonna sit around and not play just because what i have now isnt good, thats moronic.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you dont wanna play becase you dont like the way your guitar is sounding mabey you shouldent play at all...Or switch to like acoustic or something...
Quote by wind88
Sorry for my ignorance. I apologize.

People who dont suck:
epacers7
jj1565

I am a proud member of the Anti Anti Drug Foundation
Well, my problem really kicked in when I ordered my DKMG. I wanted to play the DKMG insted, but since it's not here, I can't.

My guitar doesn't bug me too much, it's just when I try to play stuff on the G,B,and e strings. It just sounds too high pitched. But I guess it was a good guitar to learn on (been playing on it since I started about 1.5 years ago.)

The other problem is that my dad is making me play only through the really bassy speakers, insted of the PA.

EDIT: I shouldn't play just because of the tone my equipment? What the hell is that going to solve? I love playing guitar and I thought it would be nice to have a good tone for playing to insted of an ear-bleeding one.

Sorry if that came off a bit rude, but I've had a rough couple of days. Especially since one of my family members had a heart attack the other day and he may die tomorrow.
Last edited by cochise788 at Jul 30, 2006,
you are a very immature player, can you get a clean sound from your amp? I assume thats a resounding "yes" you can practice. The jackson will sound much better.

To a previous poster, in my experience every squier I have played was a work of art compared to a silvertone.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
not at all, i just paly on my soap box guitar and sound better than my friend on a fender thru a marshall

heh my soap box is a strat copy that i heavily moded, nothing strat aobut it now, cept the body, but if your guitar is at least in "healthy" condition , then you can still learn and develope your skills with it, something that is almost a neverending... progress... thing ... you never stop learning basically, so don't stop
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
i semi have this problem. I got an epiphone LP standard, it was my second guitar (after my beginner pack thing). I love it to death. My third guitar (well..fourth, counting the acoustic. but whatever) is an ESP Ltd M-207 7-string guitar. I got it used for a good deal, and i love it too. But since the neck is wider its harder to play, so when i think about it, i feel all stiff, and get dissappointed because i know i like the guitar, but dont feel like i like the way it plays. So i go over to play it just to prove to myself that its a great guitar, lol

my other problem is my amp, since i am getting a Crate GT1200H halfstack soon, its on layaway now. I have an ibanez 50W toneblaster, and it was great when i got it, but then my ears sort of developed, and so now i feel like crap playing on it, and its not even a terrible amp, just not the best. But the crate is real good

so i guess its not a matter of not wanting to play because of sucky gear, but just not wanting to play because of the MINDSET of THINKING that i have crappy gear.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build