what do the springs adjust like if I tightened them much as I could, what would improve or get worse? or if I loosen them all way what would happen?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
well if you mean in wear they connect to the bridge
then it would tighten the bridge and you wouldnt b able to dive as low
say with ur tremelo bar
Assuming you have a Floyd Rose or some sort of floating bridge, loosening the springs all the way would dislocate the bridge so don't loosen them too much. Mainly its, used to give equal tension as the strings so the bridge is level. The higher gauge string you have the tighter you need to adjust them, just make sure the bridge is level when in tune.
its a strat copy, 3 springs and I've got .010's on it
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I lost my whammy bar so I dont use that, would tightening the sprins increase tuning stability?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
yes^ it would tighten the bridge so it would stay flaton the guitar and it wouldnt move, you can buy replacement bars thoguh at basically any guitar shops or online

locking tuners are like $40 and will help keep it in tune if you are using a trem or not they are always good
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jul 30, 2006,
^yea I know but it just goes out of tune like crazy and I dont care about that much, and thanks im gonna go tighten them as much they can be tightened

EDIT: wow! It made a big difference I used to be able to move it a bit myself and now its really tight my strings arent on and I dont know if its improved the tuning stability but i'll find out soon!

thanks everyone

DOUBLE EDIT: thanks but no thanks im not puttin any more money into this strat copy
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Jul 30, 2006,
Hi guys my first trade as a kid was springmaker (they said u wouldnt go to war if u were a springmaker , as they need springs 4 guns) . If u just want to put more tension on ya trem u could just cut say 4 > 6 coils off the original spring (& re-make the end afterwards , NOT HARD) this will reduce the amount of spring material & increase the springs resistance to stretching. i.e. more pressure required by u 2 make the trem happen. if ya want a softer trem u really need different springs (no big prob) as spring tension in 'tortion' springs is governed by how the the wire is actually held (positionally along the horizontal axis by ya hand) when the spring is being made, Having said that u could try getting a pair of sidecutters & opening the coils (ever so slightly) on the first 3 coils (each different spring must be the same) give it a try & repeat if not enough. If ya go 2 far u can use the first method .
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
an easier fix (if this indeed is your tuning problem) would b 2 take the cover off the back of ya strat copy & try jamming a piece of wood or something similar (so u wont do any damage) up against the bottom of the trem , just in front of where ya put ya strings through. This will hold ya trem FIXED so u can test y'r g-tar. If it dont go out of tune U at least know if it is the trem giving the prob & ya havent destroyed anything in the process. (What tuners ya using) more likely. If it still goes out of tune 2 quick its not the trem
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
ok thanks, i'll try that
Quote by King ofKumbucha
They also make hartail bridges for strats. you can just buy em and pop em in! there usually about $50 I guestimate. They sound cool!

Or you can aways do what I did! :B Glue/epoxy a block of wood in place of the trem block and get one kickass hardtail bridge! (I prefer Tele myself! )
ok cool
Quote by King ofKumbucha