I want a cheaper tube amp that can do metal. I would prefer the Mesa .50 caliber as it is cheaper, but I dont know if the newer f-50 is better. If they both do metal equally well, I just want to know which is a better amp.

Or should I get the f-30 or .22? It will be used 80% of the time at practice levels (in my room, quiet enough for my mom, she is recovering from cancer). I just want enough power for band practice, or maybe smaller gigs.
Last edited by hessian101 at Jul 30, 2006,
if it's mainly practice in your room theres no real point in getting a tube amp i guess unless you want high volume in my opinion
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
jeez, I'm sorry to hear your mom had cancer, man. I hope she's recovering well...

anyway, as king says, they're gonna be loud. problem is, most tube amps aimed at metal aren't really aimed at bedroom levels...

the genz benz el-diablo combo might be worth a look, in addition to the mesas. It's 60W, but has a pentode/triode switch which lowers the power by half (maybe the volume, i'm not certain).

the koch studiotone can do metal, imo. Might be dear in the states though- it's 20 watts.

Some of the lower wattage cornfords might do it, but again, really dear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The reason I want to go tube is that I like to turn it up when my mom leaves the house, and I hate how sh!tty it sounds when I turn up my solidstate. Also, My guitar has emg's, which sound best with a tube amp.

Are there metal geared amps that sound good at low volumes, but also dont sound like crap when you crank them?
Last edited by hessian101 at Jul 30, 2006,
Are there metal geared amps that sound good at low volumes, but also dont sound like crap when you crank them?
^ aye, but they're dear. though if you're willing to go up to the f30 price, you should be ok.

I haven't cranked the genz benz, but it sounded good at slightly cranked volumes (master about 2-3). mesa sounds alright (but it's not the best) at low volumes too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just recently got a 50 cal. used of the auction site. this is my first tube amp, and like you, i can't really get over livingroom volumes. however, this amp sure as hell is able to. it's got all the metal tones i'll ever need. i am extremely happy with my purchase, and i'm desperate to find out what this thing can do.

how much can you get it for?
theres one on ebay I might buy if I get a reply from the seller. It has a malfunctioning reverb (which I'm okay with) And is lower priced because of it. I emailed him asking him if everything other than the reverb was okay with it. Whats a good price for one? does it sound good at low volumes?
i got mine for $575. it needed all new tubes, but that only ran me about another $40 or so from my local guitar shop.

i really have nothing with which to compare the tone. i didn't test-ride anything else.

i suppose you can check harmony central for reviews. people over there seem to like it too.