August 2006

7th August

Comets On Fire - Avatar

14th August

InMe - Caught: White Butterfly - live

There is a lot of The Cure albums being rereleased this month too.

I will add more shortly.

The pre-release list on amazon atm is INSANE.
Not really Alt/Indie but of the three I'm eagerly anticipating, they're the most indie I guess:

Disco Ensemble - First Aid Kit

...the other two being Alexis and The Bronx
Lambchop - Damaged (14th)
Mountain Goats - Get Lonely (21nd)
Jason Molina - Let me go, let me go, let me go (21nd)
Bobby D - Modern Times (28th)

They're my four must haves of August.

Really thinking about picking up the Peter, Bjorn and John album ('writers block') as well. Can't decide whether its the video I love or the song though...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I saw "Peter..." Biles, but I didn't know whether to put it up or not.
Nah, I'm not sure either. That one track is decent, but God knows what the rest of the album is like.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I think August is just a crap month for releasing. I checked Play.com, amazon and all sorts and its all hiphop and dance this month!
Yeah, I had a look around play and just gave up, nothing very inspiring.

I did come across an album by a band called 000 (album - 'Aether Dynamic') that sounds like it could be quite good. Also the Alan Sparhawk (Low) solo CD comes out today.

God is an Astronaut - A Moment Of Stillness (21st)
Boris - Vein (vinyl - 22nd)
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vol 1,2,3 (22nd)
United States - Divorce Songs

Merzbow has another one coming out as well, but that's not really a surprise, there's one pretty much every month from him.

RateYourMusic
Have you heard anything from the new God is an astronaut CD? I liked the latest one alot
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Nah, haven't heard anything by them in a long time, but hopefully this one will re-spark the interest (but it's not a priority purchase this month though).

Just listened to some of that Disco Ensemble stuff Rob on their site, good stuff. Although it's pretty standard, I think the vocalist sounds slightly original which makes it a lot more interesting.

RateYourMusic
The Cursive album comes out on the 22nd if anyone cares since it leaked back in June. Also the new Mountain Goats is out on the internets but I know how you guys feel about leaks.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Quote by andrewbiles
God is an Astronaut - A Moment Of Stillness (21st)

That's really weird... I have that EP since about March.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
^ Really? Strange...

Forgot one

What Made Milwaukee Famous - Trying to never catch up (re-release on Barsuk)

The original release was great, but they've added a couple of new tracks and got an actual label for this one. Well worth checking out if you can.

RateYourMusic
Matthew Friedburger - Winter Women / Holy Ghost Language School (8th)
Ani DiFranco - Reprieve (8th)
MSTRKRFT - The Looks (9th)
The Knife - Silent Shout (10th)
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^ I got it four weeks ago now (didn't like it, but hey), so I should think it's already out...

EDIT: Got the new ones from Viva Voce, The Dears and Young Knives today. Wasn't really expecting to love any of them, and haven't managed to listen to everything yet, but The Dears album is so far really enjoyable. I seriously think everyone on here would enjoy it. Really, really good (and I'm only on track 4 so far). The Viva Voce album is alright, nothing to write home about, but then I've never been a huge fan. The Young Knives album I'm not expecting a lot from which will probably mean it's amazing, but I'm thinking 'the decision' will be the best track on there as I loved that single, the rest just hasn't appealed to me as much so far. Also, if you get the YK album, when you put it into your computer (if you want to save it to your hard drive) you'll have a edit a couple of the song titles - I hate it when people submit wrong titles to CDDB.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
^ I got it four weeks ago now (didn't like it, but hey), so I should think it's already out...

EDIT: Got the new ones from Viva Voce, The Dears and Young Knives today. Wasn't really expecting to love any of them, and haven't managed to listen to everything yet, but The Dears album is so far really enjoyable. I seriously think everyone on here would enjoy it. Really, really good (and I'm only on track 4 so far). The Viva Voce album is alright, nothing to write home about, but then I've never been a huge fan. The Young Knives album I'm not expecting a lot from which will probably mean it's amazing, but I'm thinking 'the decision' will be the best track on there as I loved that single, the rest just hasn't appealed to me as much so far. Also, if you get the YK album, when you put it into your computer (if you want to save it to your hard drive) you'll have a edit a couple of the song titles - I hate it when people submit wrong titles to CDDB.

Yeah, it's been out in the UK for a while, they just keep delaying the release date in America.
^ Nah, that's pretty much true. The only releases I'm really looking forward to in August are God is an Astronaut and the rerelease of The Fall of Troy's first album.
It's not true at all, there's a ton of great stuff. Heck, even Micah P. Hinson decided to release something worth having.

Just come across a CD on amazon's pre-order list called 'Gay sex in the 70s'....

RateYourMusic
Quote by tpen892004
This Day and Age- The bell and the Hammer (Aug 22nd)

cant wait for this release, eveyone should check this band

linkage

I love you... They're awesome! I'm buying their album now

Sh*tting hell, it's not available in the UK

EDIT: I remember what I was going to say now: they sound like Mae meets indie-pop
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Aug 21, 2006,
august sucks. truth. i bought the isobell campbell/mark lanegan album to make up for it.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
August wasn't that bad...

Micah P Hinson - ...and the opera circuit
His Name is Alive - Detrola
Decembers Architects - ,Apiary Ennui And Curiosas. The Brew Shakes
The Dears - Gang of Losers
Young Knives - Voices of animals and men
Letting Up Despite Great Faults - Movement EP

Could have been better, but I thought all of those were worth the purchase.

RateYourMusic