So I'm getting ready to head off to college and won't be able to bring my electric guitars with me (at least I can have the acoustic). My question regards the best way to make sure these guitars stay good while not being played for a couple months at a time (in between coming home). Is it ok to leave them on my guitar stands, or should I store them in their hardshell cases? Also is there anything else, like loosening string tension or anything, that needs to be done to preserve the "health" of these guitars? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Keeping them in their cases is the best option, keeping them at stable temperatures. I don't think loosening the strings are necessary, but im not sure. Someone else with more knowledge will probably reply though
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
well if you know somebody who is a serious guitarist and you trust them you could tell them to keep them for you and just clean them and make sure they stay "healthy" and everything. there are also some storage places with climate control so you could try that
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
keep them in hard cases, and detune the strings at least a step, this will prevent the neck from warping if there are any temperature ort humidity changes, if youre keeping them in a climate controlled area you dont need to worry to much but its best to do it anyways just in case.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Alright thanks for all the advice guys! Just want to make sure I don't come home to any nasty warped necks or anything else like that!
lol i put my old acoustic in the closet and last week i opened up the case and the strings had pulled the bridge off

it was my first guitar
You always play the guitar with it in tune for a long while don't you? Then why should you loosen the strings when storing it?

Don't loosen the strings, the neck needs the tension to from the strings to hold it straight, and long term storage w/o the tension could cause the neck to warp.

keeping it in the case is the best bet.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
You always play the guitar with it in tune for a long while don't you? Then why should you loosen the strings when storing it?

Don't loosen the strings, the neck needs the tension to from the strings to hold it straight, and long term storage w/o the tension could cause the neck to warp.

keeping it in the case is the best bet.

actually you really do need to loosen the strings a bit, but you also need to keep them tight enough to keep the neck straight, If you leave your guitar in its case fully tuned up for a long time through any kind of signifigant climate change there is a very good chance of the neck warping.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm