I'm heading off to college here soon and will be taking my acoustic guitar with me. I'll be flying and will have to check my guitar (scary enough as it is) since it is too big to be a carry on. Anyways my only question is what do I need to do to make sure the guitar stays in good condition through the flight? Only thing I've heard so far is to make sure the strings are off, is there anything else I need to worry about? Thanks in advance for any replies.
yes loosen take the strings off to avoid snapping the neck due to pressure, If you have a humidifier i'd reccomend putting that in with your guitar to counter climate changes, other then that I'm not sure theres much else you can do...maybe put a fragile sticker on the case or something. I've flown with my guitar and never had any problems, Goodluck man.
before you put it in the case wrap up the neck in newspaper or plastic grocery bags or a towel or something, just make sure that you stuff padding around your guitar on the inside of the case to keep it from bouncing around, if you have a lock on your case thats also a good idea, you can also do something called a gate check, where you have them put your guitar on the plane just before takeoff so that its on top of all the other luggage and it dosent get smashed beneath the weight of a million suitcases, you don't need to take the strings all the way off, just make sure that the're really loose, i flew with my guitar from miami to houston two days ago, and (me being the genius that i am) i forgot to loosen the strings before the flight, but none of them snapped during the flight, i need to replace them anyway so its all good, just make sure that its clearly marked fragile, stuffed with padding and tell the person at the baggage check point that you want to gate check it and you should be good
My recommendation? Ship it instead of taking it on the plane with you. As scary as it is, I would much rather put my baby (packaged correctly of course) in the hands of a UPS man than an airline worker, especially since you're going to school, and its not just a short term thing.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
My recommendation? Ship it instead of taking it on the plane with you. As scary as it is, I would much rather put my baby (packaged correctly of course) in the hands of a UPS man than an airline worker, especially since you're going to school, and its not just a short term thing.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA....excuse me....HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

Are you kidding me? First of all if you ship it, how do you think it gets there? Even if it ships ground, you think the guys getting paid minimum wage give a flying **** about your package when they're loading them all onto the truck right before their lunch break? I've had friends in the industry, it's not pretty. They don't care if something happens because UPS will cover it. They just care about making the weight of their trucks, anything that happens in between can be argued. Honestly what difference is there that you would trust a UPS man before an airline worker?

Post 9/11 there's alot more security when it comes to packages and airplanes. Which means more "personal attention." Make sure you mark it as fragile and it will be fine. I've taken my guitar to more countries than most people will ever visit in there life and it's been fine. Even if the cargo bay is unpressurized, which usually it's not, your guitar will probably be okay. If you're concerned, call the airline and see what precautions you can line up.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
You could not pay me anything to make me check my guitar. Next time you fly, watch the baggage handlers outside the plane while you're still on the ground. They throw bags with no regard as to what's inside.

Every plane I've flown on has had a closet in first class for people's suits, etc. Delta (the only airline I fly with) has always (15+ times) let me put my guitar in there. Once, the closet was too full so they tied my guitar case to a rack in the stewardess's room. If you call ahead, are polite and respectful, (and good looking), the airline will accomodate you.
Quote by Bryan52803
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA....excuse me....HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

Are you kidding me? First of all if you ship it, how do you think it gets there? Even if it ships ground, you think the guys getting paid minimum wage give a flying **** about your package when they're loading them all onto the truck right before their lunch break? I've had friends in the industry, it's not pretty. They don't care if something happens because UPS will cover it. They just care about making the weight of their trucks, anything that happens in between can be argued. Honestly what difference is there that you would trust a UPS man before an airline worker?

Post 9/11 there's alot more security when it comes to packages and airplanes. Which means more "personal attention." Make sure you mark it as fragile and it will be fine. I've taken my guitar to more countries than most people will ever visit in there life and it's been fine. Even if the cargo bay is unpressurized, which usually it's not, your guitar will probably be okay. If you're concerned, call the airline and see what precautions you can line up.

Bry

How often are guitars shipped? Quite often, I assume. Most shipping companies also allow you take insurance out against the instrument being harmed, ESPECIALLY if you let them package it (Costs a little more, but its less of a hassle). I've had friends at school do it both ways, and they said the shipping was less of a headache then trying to take it on the airline with them. There is a reason why they sell airline cases for guitars....because there is no liability on the airline if the guitar gets damaged.

I worked for Fed-Ex during the Christmas season this year. While things were often hurried, more care was taken then you think. Oh yeah, and the people who work in the warehouses here in CT start at $12 an hour. It might not be the case everywhere, but its mostly college students up here....

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Just make sure it gets put it with the 'fragile' baggage. I flew mine in only a flimsy cardboard case, and it turned out ok(the case was slightly bashed up though). If you have a good case, I wouldn't worry about it too much