my drummer needs to work on his songs in 6/8, does anyone know any good metal or hard rock songs in 6/8?
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Strictly metal? Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage has the verse in 6/8 and the pre-chorus 3/4 respectively, but that's metalcore. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment, sorry for the lack of help!
Fell On Black Days, Power Trip, and Uncovered by Soundgarden
I Miss You and Clean by Incubus
Breaking The Girl by Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Wooden Song by Butthole Surfers

Hows that?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Last edited by Kartman at Jul 30, 2006,
Rather than playing a specific song - I'd advise you to play something in 6/8 time and let your drummer work around that. I think that letting him get a grasp of it without following any particular song would not only improve his understanding of it, but the whole band as a whole. Instead of feeling someone elses rhythm, he's feeling his own - or something like that. You know?

Try something like the example below and see what your drummer can come up with. Obviously - that's a fairly simple example, but it should get the ball rolling.

yeah, the problem is im writing songs in 6/8 and hes havin a hard time makin beats for them
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
well tell him to start with a basic beat for 6/8, like:

Bass drum on 1 and 4, hi hats every eight note, and snare on 2/3/5/6 (not all of em, just pick which ones... or you could pick all lol)

Once he gets comfortable with a basic beat, see if you can add something in here and there.

6/8 comes a lot easier after working in 3/4 also. And if he's a decent drummer he should be workin on 3/4 beats as well.
try getting to work on 3/4 first then move up to 6/8 or make some 6/8 beats in a drum machine for him to play along to.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
bed of razers children of bodom
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
What's the difference between 3/4 and 6/8? Isn't it the same?

Anyways, most Opeth songs are in 6/8 (examples being Harvest and The Drapery Falls, those are fairly easy). The beat goes like this in both songs:
HH|-x-x-x-x-x-x-|-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
SD|-------x-----|-------x-----|
BD|-x---------x-|-x---------x-|
#2 member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39
dude your a walking talking metal making expert!!!

i bet this person sucks so bad emo people laugh

^0wned^
Quote by Dante's Inferno
No. Time signatures are not fractions. 3/4 is 3 quarter notes. 6/8 is 6 eighth notes.

I'm sure this is hard, but eventually, you could make your goal to be able to play "Phantom of the Opera" by Maiden.
i believe 'Judith' by a perfect circle is in 6/8 (primarily) several APC songs are actually in 6/8
Quote by Dante's Inferno

The difference is the emphasis. 3/4 has three beats per measure, on the quarter notes.

6/8 has two beats per measure, with each beat being subdivided into triplets. 1-and-a 2-and-a might be a way to count the subdivision. There is one beat per dotted quarter note.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No. Time signatures are not fractions. 3/4 is 3 quarter notes. 6/8 is 6 eighth notes.

I'm sure this is hard, but eventually, you could make your goal to be able to play "Phantom of the Opera" by Maiden.

ACTUALLY! I, as a bassist, love that song to death to play, because it IS a challenge, and so would a guitarist think so too.

tbh i had to add an extra piicking finger JUST for that song since then ive gone to 3/4 finger picking.

anyway, when i showed my drummer that song, he said the drum beat is pretty boring and easy, and didnt want to do it, so maybe your drummer would be ok with it