well, i want to start playing blues and there are many blues artist, can anybody list some songs to begint with, thank you
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
Voodoo child. Jimi Hendrix

Still got the blues. Gary Moore

Wild thing. Jimi Hendrix

Classics.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
anything with eric clapton, jimi hendrix, led zep, and bb king
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
well, a friend of mine told me that little richard, muddy waters and buddy holy where good too,
thanks to all

Quote by Aidy Damage
voodoo child and wild thing are not really blues song. I say the two easiest blues song to start off are with boom boom by john lee hooker and hideaway by freddie king. As you get better you should try to work on eric clapton's version of hideaway he did with the Bluesbreakers. Also SRV is a great bluesman and personally one of my favorites. What kind of guitar do you have as well as your amp?

EDIT: Now that you mentioned Little Richard you should search for stuff from the early 60's because Jimi Hendrix was a backup guitarist for him.
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

Member of the left-handed club (but I play right-handed)!
Last edited by JP51 at Jul 30, 2006,
^
I love your take on what blues is.

Anyway, if you looking for a fairly simple, but loads of fun tune, you gotta check out Freddie King's Hide Away. All instrumental too.

id reccomned stuff by BB King or Robert Johnson for like REAL blues, stuff like Led Zep and hendrix are blues influenced but they sound a lot different than most blues music.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by JP51
voodoo child and wild thing are not really blues song.

Maybe not wild thing, but voodoo child, while not a pure blues song, you can clearly hear the blues in it, and i''d say its more blues than rock n' roll.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
id reccomned stuff by BB King or Robert Johnson for like REAL blues, stuff like Led Zep and hendrix are blues influenced but they sound a lot different than most blues music.

Robert and BB for starters? I don't those are really good starters. What do you mean by "Real" Blues? Everybody is infulenced by somebody. B.B. was influenced by Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert was influenced by Charley Patton, Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, and other greats of the Delta, so I really don't know what you mean by "Real" blues. Blues isn't how you play it's how you feel when you play...
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

refgerto you made a point jimi does use the pentatonic scale as well as the signature blues trill. So yeah you are right. It is based all around blues...
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

Quote by JP51
voodoo child and wild thing are not really blues song. I say the two easiest blues song to start off are with boom boom by john lee hooker and hideaway by freddie king. As you get better you should try to work on eric clapton's version of hideaway he did with the Bluesbreakers. Also SRV is a great bluesman and personally one of my favorites. What kind of guitar do you have as well as your amp?

EDIT: Now that you mentioned Little Richard you should search for stuff from the early 60's because Jimi Hendrix was a backup guitarist for him.

well, i hava a fender deluxe 900 and a rockwood lx99(strat imitation)

EDIT: well, i'm not a beginner, i've been playing for two years

Quote by Aidy Damage
What I meant was good beginner songs for blues because you asked for good blues songs to start with. Since you've been playing for two you should check out some stuff by Eric Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers. That is some good blues stuff right there.
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

Quote by refgerto
Maybe not wild thing, but voodoo child, while not a pure blues song, you can clearly hear the blues in it, and i''d say its more blues than rock n' roll.

Oh I dunno. I never considered Voodoo Child a blues song AT ALL.
Just because most of the lead uses a pent scale doesn't mean it's blues.
You'll find it used all over the place in rock. While all rock, Voodoo Child included,
has roots in Blues, doesn't mean it IS blues.

Blues songs ... 99% of them are the same. Learn a I-IV-V progression and you know
just about any blues song. I always find it a bit strange when someone asks for
a good blues song to play to. They'll use different rythyms and different melodies
and vocals, but the central chord progression is just about always the same.
Quote by JP51
What I meant was good beginner songs for blues because you asked for good blues songs to start with. Since you've been playing for two you should check out some stuff by Eric Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers. That is some good blues stuff right there.

Yes Definitely. Learn the song Steppin Out by John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers..or whatever it is haha.
anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan is about as blues as it gets. try pride and joy.. thats a good one to start with
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Testify, Texas Flood, and Lenny are great blues songs by SRV. Oh yeah Scuttle Buttin' too.
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

everyones suggesting that hardrocking blues stuff. you mean like old blues like bb king or something or blues rock?

Stevie ray vaughan - riviera paradise <-- not as blues as it gets but fun to play. has a jazzy vibe
cream - crossroads, badge, sunshine of your love
the doors - been down so long (some slide guitar work there)
led zeppelin - since ive been loving you, everything on led zep II, and of course.. bron y'aur stomp. some hill billy blues for ya
jimi hendrix - red house, little wing, all along the watchtower, fire... list goes on...

and for older blues, if you manage to find some songs by robert johnson those are cool to play.

Quote by edg
Oh I dunno. I never considered Voodoo Child a blues song AT ALL.
Just because most of the lead uses a pent scale doesn't mean it's blues.
You'll find it used all over the place in rock. While all rock, Voodoo Child included,
has roots in Blues, doesn't mean it IS blues.

Blues songs ... 99% of them are the same. Learn a I-IV-V progression and you know
just about any blues song. I always find it a bit strange when someone asks for
a good blues song to play to. They'll use different rythyms and different melodies
and vocals, but the central chord progression is just about always the same.

you've no idea how wrong you are everything thats rock is from blues yes but thats just a part of blues. besides 99% of these songs that have been suggested are blues rock anyway. that kind of 12 bar blues swagger isnt the only blues out there
To start playing blues, start where all the best blues players started. Play some T-bone Walker. BB, Freddie, and Albert Kings all listened to him...

And I'm suprised no one has mentioned Joe Walsh yet. Rocky Mountain way is a good blues rock tune.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Jul 31, 2006,
Also, I use this more than any shuffle during blues... Play it just like the regular 12 bar blues... Starting on E

A-----2-2--------2-2--5-4---
E-----0-0--3-4--0-0--------- Repeat xWhatever.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Danzig = Blues

Just start with basic 1,4,5 and improvise with scales.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.