I've been looking at getting this guitar as a scratch and dent item from musicians friend. I play alot of grunge, blues, classic rock, hard rock, and a wee bit of Sabbath/Earth style metal.

Would this be a good buy? I mainly play blues and classic and less of the others.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Its a very good buy. A guitar that will only rise in value. Excellent choice.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
IS the finish Nitro, Polyurathene, or Polyester?

WHAT?

no its a terrible guitar. its just the standard and it reads "60th anniversary"

just get a strat/fat strat and upgrade it
Quote by JET116
WHAT?

I wouldnt call a standard strat a terrible guitar, though weither or not its worth the extra cash is a good question.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by JET116
WHAT?

Yea, but he can sell it for lots of money later on down the road. You got to think about the long run, not just the short one when buying a guitar.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Yea, but he can sell it for lots of money later on down the road. You got to think about the long run, not just the short one when buying a guitar.

it is a scratch and dent guitar, lots of money down the road??? i dont think so.
You can fix it easy man, it's not hard to fix scratches.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Oh, sorry, i was thinking og the american version. The MIM version won't rise in value so much lol. Don't get it. Get the american 60s anniversary. I wish i'd have done that instead of getting my regular MIA strat. It will be 10 years to the next anniversary after all.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
I know its not just a standered. It's got better Pup's then a standered.

Yeah, I'd get it. If not just to have something more special about your guitar than it just being a standard strat (which every man and his dog owns).

I don't know why but I find it hilarious that you put the registered trademark signs and everything in the thread title!! And "electric guitar," just in case we didn't know haha. I'm not taking the mick, honestly...
Quote by bouncingbassist
Yeah, I'd get it. If not just to have something more special about your guitar than it just being a standard strat (which every man and his dog owns).

I don't know why but I find it hilarious that you put the registered trademark signs and everything in the thread title!! And "electric guitar," just in case we didn't know haha. I'm not taking the mick, honestly...

Naw man, I just copied and pasted the thing over from musicians friend. I didn't mean to insault ya. And I think I will. I've played it up aginist a few standereds' at the local shop, before they sold it, and it feels great and sounds perfect.

Neck Maple, Modern C Shape, Tinted Satin Polyurethane Finish
Fingerboard Maple, 9.5-inch Radius (241 mm)
Frets 21 Vintage Style Frets
Pickups 3 Tex-Mex? Strat® Single-Coil Pickups
Controls:
Master Volume
Tone 1. Neck Pickup
Tone 2. Middle Pickup
Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Bridge Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo
Machine Heads Fender®/Ping® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3-Ply Parchment

just some of the upgrades. plus color and styling.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
so whats your opinion on it? Should I get it?

Sure, if you like the Strat sound. It's difficult for a site full of strangers to dictate to you your preferences. If you don't like the Strat sound, then if it was $5, it'd still be a waste of money. You'll have to use your gain knob a bit more to get the harder rock sounds, and your sound won't have the body of the humbucker sound, but you'll get a lot of bite and really good blues tones and cleans.
Hi, I'm Peter
No no what i meant earlier was that itd be a waste to spend another 200+ for a standard with "60th anniversary" across it. The standard is a good guitar...don't get this one though.

You could upgrade the standard to a REALLY nice guitar and still be under the price of the 60th anniversary edition.
Quote by JET116
No no what i meant earlier was that itd be a waste to spend another 200+ for a standard with "60th anniversary" across it. The standard is a good guitar...don't get this one though.

You could upgrade the standard to a REALLY nice guitar and still be under the price of the 60th anniversary edition.

Mind telling me how? I know I can upgrade the Pups. I really don't wanna though. i wanna get it ann in one package.

The 60th anniversary Standard is only about $70 more than a Standard Strat with the tobacco sunburst finish. I think Jet is thinking of the American Standard. The TS is talking about the Mexican-made Standard.
Hi, I'm Peter
The standard is 370 the anniversary (which is kinda lame in my opinion) is 500

Can you play these two side by side or are you just gonna buy the 60th?

....for 20 bucks more than the anniversary you could put 3 lace sensors in your standard......which would sound better than almost any strat you can find (including americans)
Last edited by JET116 at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by JET116
The standard is 370 the anniversary (which is kinda lame in my opinion) is 500

Can you play these two side by side or are you just gonna buy the 60th?

I have. The tex mex Pups sound killer compaired to the Standered's stock...

If you don't OWN one, or haven't at least PLAYED one, DON'T RATE IT!

I own one, it's sweet for the price, plays really well, and has the over-wound high-output Tex-Mex pickups. It's the only model that comes in that color, and it is a commemorative model so it is somewhat collectable.

If you've played a strat comparabley equipped and like the way it sounds and feels, buy it. Don't listen to all the parrots and band-wagon jumpers who would have you think they know it all, especially the ones who own cheap-ass Ibanez/Jackson/B.C. Rich, etc. A good MIM strat is better than any of them IMHO (for what I play)
Quote by zekk
so whats your opinion on it? Should I get it?

ive got a standard MIM and an MIA.

i like the classic style, 50, 60, and 70's MIM strat, the players deluxe MIM, and the anniversary strat.

i like texes pickups. and if u were to buy a set of texas pups its about $100 not installed.

honestly, the pickups and unique color/finish alone are enough to get that guitar.
in addition uve got vintage frets, bridge, tuners,
i dont know, seems worth it to me.

*as long as it suits ur style of play of course.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 31, 2006,
Go to a shop and try one before you buy online, don't even think of buying blindly.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Go to a shop and try one before you buy online, don't even think of buying blindly.

Have you read the therd. I've said I've tried them side by side three times now!

Oh, really? That's good then, congrats for being one of the smart ones on this forum! lol
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by jj1565
ive got a standard MIM and an MIA.

i like the classic style, 50, 60, and 70's MIM strat, the players deluxe MIM, and the anniversary strat.

i like texes pickups. and if u were to buy a set of texas pups its about $100 not installed.

honestly, the pickups and unique color/finish alone are enough to get that guitar.
in addition uve got vintage frets, bridge, tuners,
i dont know, seems worth it to me.

*as long as it suits ur style of play of course.

Excellent advice and I agree, it's a damn nice guitar and I nearly bought one myself.

In my opinion it's well worth it's price. The only reason I didn't buy it was that the TexMex p/u's sounded great but not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted that traditional strat tone and fortunately I was able to play the standard anniversary model side by side with a USA strat.

I went with the USA in sunburst because it was exactly what I was looking for but the standard anniversary was definately better than any of the other standards in the shop that day and well worth it's price imo.