im wiring a killswitch into my guitar. i know i have to run one wire from it to ground, and one to hot. my question is, does the wire going from the switch to the ground wire have to be a ground wire? does the wire going from the switch to the hot wire have to be a hot wire? please help.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
OK you know that wire the hot one between your two knobs? If you have a 3 prong switch, take that one, cut it, put one end on the middle, and one on the side (it dosnt matter which side) then on the leftover prong, wire it to the ground.

That method worked very well for me.
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Jul 30, 2006,
the guitar im putting it on is just a one pickup, one volume control setup, so again, would the wire going from the switch to the ground wire have to be a ground wire, and the same for the hot wire (but with a hot wire)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
Just make the switch so it connects the middle and right terminals. (looking at it with the terminals pointing at you).
And absinthe5765, I don't see how that worked for you cause that isn't gonna kill ****, lol. It'll just relieve your circuit of the tone control. Unless the two grey wires on that switch are swapped over.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jul 31, 2006,
i just want to make one with one wire going to hot, and one to ground, in a guitar with one pickup and one volume knob, so could someone please answer the original question?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
you didn't answer the question again, would the wire going to ground have to be a ground wire, and the same for the hot wire, but with a hot wire.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
What do you mean? Wire is wire, use it for whatever the feck you want.
There is no ground or hot wires. A wire is what you make it, hot or ground.
These go to eleven...
Not when you have a high gain rig, cutting the hot is gonna sound like an unplugged lead, it's gonna hum/buzz like crazy. You're right about grounding the signal, mine makes a "pop" when I flick it. A better quallity switch could fix it though.
These go to eleven...
No kidding... But there has to be a better way... O_o Wait. Hot from volume going to the center lug of a SPDT with one lug going to the jack and another going to a small 10Ω resistor or something? D: (To try and not get that click)
wait, please explain your killswitch ideas clearer. i was told that there would be no click if i wired one wire to hot and another to ground. Im a noob at wiring so please try to make your explaination simple.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
In most cases, it shouldn't pop or click. Cutting the hot, and grounding it at the same time might work. SPDT, middle to jack, one side to volume, and the other to ground.
These go to eleven...
what did you say about the crazy hum?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Doesn't apply to you. as long as you ground the hot, and not just cut it, which is what you're doing. Omg Fast Bear, I just noticed how crazy that box in your avatar is.
These go to eleven...
that's one hell of a box
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
how to use what?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT