Hi!
I'm planning on buying the S520EX of ibanez, as I have read in several review sites that this guitar is good for heavy/metal music and that's the music, but I'm also considering buying the SZ520 but as I'm not an expert, I don't know if the SZ520 is good for the kind of music I play. So any advice on what guitar should I buy? or any other Ibanez guitar I can buy that doesn't go over $600?

Thank you, hope I get good advices

PS. I've read that if you change the neck pick up of the S520EX you can get a good sound, any advice on what pick up should I change it for?
Last edited by Firzen at Jul 31, 2006,
Ibanez S470 is also good. But the one you're looking at is nice too. And if you get the S520EX and change the neck picup you might as well change them both to EMG 81 85's or something. I'm thinking it would work, but I could be wrong. But any S seriesIbanez is good, so don't hold back!
"Life ends so fast, so take your chance, and make it last."
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
Hey!
Thanks for the answer, but what about the SZ? Are they good for heavy/metal music?
RGs are good for metal. You might look into one of those.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
RGs are good for metal. You might look into one of those.

Shh. Why would he look into a low-level basswood RG for under $600 (almost nothing good there) for metal, when he is asking about SZ or S, which spec-wise are more metal-suited and are right in that price range.

To the TS, both series are great - they are not just a price-value compromise, but simply very good guitars. SZ will give you a fatter metal tone, as it's a heavier mahogany guitar, but the S will give you the advantage of the floating tremolo (an excellent bridge too) and a very comfortable slim body. If you don't plan to use the tremolo, then SZ is a better choice for you - those guitars are built like a tank and feel awesome.

Stock pickups are nothing special in both of them, but the SZ pickups have slightly more character from my experience. I quite like a combination of DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck for heavier music - it's a popular one too.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
another thing I want to ask is about the frets, the S520ex comes with jumbo frets and the SZ with medium, and my hand is not medium size, so will I have problems with the jumbo size frets of the S520? Sorry for that but I've only played medium fret guitars
fret size is the height of the fret wire, not the spacing between frets.

so no, its a higher speed bump, better for bends, not as much fun for fast runs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
fret size is the height of the fret wire, not the spacing between frets.

so no, its a higher speed bump, better for bends, not as much fun for fast runs.

can you really tell the difference? like does a higher fret really make that much slower that you can tell the difference? cuz i have extra jumbo frets and i cant feel any difference in speed between that and my guitar with medium frets
Go get your shovel.
between jumbo and medium u might not, from personal experience, when i got from my strat (standard size) to my schecter. totally different feel.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011