Is there a right or wrong way to pick? I've noticed lately that I use economy picking. Which is more acurate? Will one or the other slow me down?

In case some don't know, alternate picking is strictly up, down, up, down even if you change strings. Economy picking is a hybrid of sweep picking and alternate picking, economy picking involves using alternate picking except when changing strings.

So is there a better way?
Do whatever feels most confortable to you. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it. Just, using whatever technique makes you faster and more accurate is the right way to do it.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

No there is no real wrong or correct way to pick, just whatever works for you, and what you like to play.. But learning the other ways to pick will only improve your playing, and open your options on what you can play..
Yea, for the longest time I used strickly EP, then i got into AP. Definatly helps my playing, both with speed and accuracy. So its a good thing to learn both.
Obviously EP is the best in terms of economy of motion, and I find makes my playing sound a little more legato with string changes. And economy of motion = speed (once you get the technique down of course, which I haven't ). But there are guitarists who play very, very fast with strict AP, so it is largely a matter of personal preference. I guess EP would be considered to be "better technique" though.

Note that EP isn't exactly what you described it as. It's picking down when you're moving to a higher string and picking up when moving to a lower string, and NOT using the same stroke you ended with on one string to move to the next. Not saying you made that mistake, but yeah.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Whichevers comfortable. I do economy picking whenever I need to... As in fade to Blacks intro solo, the one really quick lick is sweep pick, while everything else is alt picking.
Which one I use completely depends on the musical situation in relation to my personal preference.
Economy picking is sweep picking.

d      u        [B]d       d [/B]      u        [B]d        d[/B]           u          d
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------5--------7--------9-----|
D|---------------------------5-------7--------9------------------------------|
A|----5-----7-------9--------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

d     d       d        d       d              u        u     u         u
e|-----------------------------------12--h--15---p---12------------------------|
B|---------------------------13--------------------------------13--------------|
G|-------------------12-----------------------------------------------12-------|
D|------------14-------------------------------------------------------------14|
A|------15---------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------| 

It's all in the way you transition from string to string.
^ No its not, sweeping is just, that, sweeping down the strings.... With EP, you still have alternate motion, its not sweeping.

EP FTW. Its cleaner, and more efficient. Economy picking, as opposed to alternate picking, allows for less waisted energy which in turn allows for greater speed with minimal difficulty.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Last edited by ClassicAxe at Jul 30, 2006,
I've always seen sweeping = economy picking as well.
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
^^ Actually it's not sweeped.

Who cares if it's sweeped or not. You can play it however you want. Alternate it, or economy pick it.

And for those confused, econonmy picking is a mixture of sweep picking and alternate picking. You alternate pick the notes on the same string, and when you change strings, you sweep it. Got it? Good.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.