Page 3 of 58
^ Ef will indeed be huge (on a post-rock scale). Got their 7" and it was amazing, can't get their album though Asked Rough Trade a few weeks back so hopefully they'll order a copy in.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I'm not a massive fan of this genre, but I like the metal/post-rock bands like ISIS, Jesu, Pelican etc. alot.
Quote by balltounge

A local band called Day For Airstrikes are worthy of a mention too, DFA played with Ef the last time they visited the UK and it was fantastic. Ef should be huge by now, there brilliant.

DFA are brilliant, I love them. One of my fav. post rock bands
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by radio_schizo
I'm not a massive fan of this genre, but I like the metal/post-rock bands like ISIS, Jesu, Pelican etc. alot.

Heard the new Isis album yet ? I was pretty dissapointed with it. Some great riffs again but the vocals are awful, on par with Fred Durst.

DFA are brilliant, I love them. One of my fav. post rock bands

Good to know there music is being enjoyed, Im pretty good mates with them and they deserve a bit of attention for all the effort they put in.

The 'Widows' album is top-notch.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Quote by balltounge
Heard the new Isis album yet ? I was pretty dissapointed with it. Some great riffs again but the vocals are awful, on par with Fred Durst.

Good to know there music is being enjoyed, Im pretty good mates with them and they deserve a bit of attention for all the effort they put in.

I've only heard the myspace tracks, from Widows, but i loved secret whale EP
Secret Whale is brilliant, Widows is a much, much darker affair though.

A good progression though.

The Books.
I'll try to order it someday, shouldn't be hard sicne there on roadkill records right?
http://www.roadkill-records.co.uk/home.php

They have a mailorder service, Id enquire about deliveries overseas though as it may cost a little more.

Also moregood bands:

The Halifax Pier - Fans of Silver mount Zion/Sigur Ros
Six Parts Seven - Like Explosions in the sky
The Appleseed cast - Mogwai'ish but not scottish or as ambient

The Books.
Quote by balltounge

New Isis? I thought the album's out later this winter?

Edit- Just heard the myspace track. Yeah the beginning vocals aren't good. But when he shouts its alright.

Good song though, I liked the ending.

So have you heard the whole album? Are all the vocals like that?
Last edited by radio_schizo at Sep 12, 2006,
sadly the vocals are like that for the majority of the album.

Saying that , It has its moments, still a good few riffs thrown in there but just not enough 'Panopticon' style ferociousness

The Books.
Quote by balltounge
HeGood to know there music is being enjoyed, Im pretty good mates with them and they deserve a bit of attention for all the effort they put in.

They deserve WAY more than a "bit" of attention. 'Widows' is absolutely amazing. Definitely an underrated band.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
I'm not sure whether I prefer SW or Widows, but they both are very, very good.

Side note: Seeing Russian Circles tomorrow night, w00t.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by andrewbiles
^ Ef will indeed be huge (on a post-rock scale). Got their 7" and it was amazing, can't get their album though Asked Rough Trade a few weeks back so hopefully they'll order a copy in.

I just heard about Ef the other day, but can't find any previews of their music.

The Samuel Jackson Five are great.
Quote by Spynal
I'm not sure whether I prefer SW or Widows, but they both are very, very good.

Side note: Seeing Russian Circles tomorrow night, w00t.

I just got 'Enter.' It's my first foray into them.

Anyone know Maserati? I'm seeing them in December. I. am. excited.
mono
a silver mt. zion
yndi halda
sigur ros
isis
pelican
65 days of static
immanu el
red sparrows
avast!
slint
talk talk
do make say think
capital girls and capital pearls
the devil in

there's probably more that i can't remember..........
God Is An Astronaut are probably my favourite, All Is Violent All Is Bright has been on almost constant rotation for a while.

I'm finally buying a copy of Alone by The Timeout Drawer. I've had it on my computer for quite a while now but I want to have the real deal.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Ulver
Tortoise
Lazona
Red Sparowes
saduhsahe8rte38312812!
fadudsnuujn328rj023890~!
fsauh38nx,zx8888z8xxxxxzas32!!!11!
Quote by StuartR
I've never heard Ulver called post-rock.

Ulver's stuff is fairly diverse, and their albums go in all types of directions, from electronica to black metal so its possible that they might have put out something resembling post-rock, but I don't think it is quite post-rock.
Damn. I don't know why I hadn't found this thread earlier.

My faves.

Pelican (I know, more Post Metal, but they're mentioned in the thread)
ISIS
Russian Circles (probably my favorite ever)
Sigur Ròs

That's all for now, though..... I'm using the thread as reccomendations, though. So, I'm checking out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Slint, and Explosions in the Sky.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I prefer the metal post-rock to the indie-post rock.

Stuff like ISIS, Jesu, Pelican, Neurosis etc. I don't know why, I guess cos' it has a more epic and and apocalyptic feel to it.

But GSYBE and A Silver Mt Zion are good to fall asleep too. And Slint are good!
Quote by radio_schizo
I prefer the metal post-rock to the indie-post rock.

Stuff like ISIS, Jesu, Pelican, Neurosis etc. I don't know why, I guess cos' it has a more epic and and apocalyptic feel to it.

But GSYBE and A Silver Mt Zion are good to fall asleep too. And Slint are good!

Slint aren't really a post-rock band despite what everyone says, they're math-rock.

As for Isis etc, they're post-metal, and I agree, I prefer Russian Circles etc to Explosions in the Sky and Tristeza.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
i still don't understand how a silver mount zion can be thrown in with all the post rock bands. but i also don't understand why people still label bands post rock to begin with.
Quote by YourLastAffront
Slint aren't really a post-rock band despite what everyone says, they're math-rock.

even if they are math-rock they were still a major influence in post-rock...
The best, IMO, are -

Sigur Ros
Mogwai
Explosions In The Sky
65daysofstatic

Slint seem a bit too atonal to fit in with post-rock, they seem more like math-rock to me.

Has anyone else heard of the band Juno? One of their albums is really quality, and I'd say they are probably post-rock.

Oh, and I saw Mogwai at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, for the tenth anniversary celebration. I've only been to 4 shows, but I think it will be hard for another band to EVER top that!
I made a separate thread about this earlier, but look up Juno. Their incredible. I'm just getting into this post rock, indie thing so they might not really "be" incredible, but I think they are.

here: www.myspace.com/junomusic
Yndi Halda
Set Fire to Flames
The Ascent of Everest
Worker Bee
Eluvium
Belong

.....to name but a few decent ones.....