How do you find the key of a song so you can play around with scales and such.

Is there any way besides just playing until something sounds right??? I suck at theory btw
I'll use Welcome home, by coheed and cambria for an example. the main riff is a straight up and down scale. It is in the key of e flat natural minor.The first note of the scale is the first part of the name, Then to find what type of scale you can use the internet to find what it is. Soon enough you should memorize different minor and major scales.
Quote by jackson action
I'll use Welcome home, by coheed and cambria for an example. the main riff is a straight up and down scale. It is in the key of e flat natural minor.The first note of the scale is the first part of the name, Then to find what type of scale you can use the internet to find what it is. Soon enough you should memorize different minor and major scales.

I Hate my username because a computer picked it for me.
Usually its just the last note of the song. Otherwise, say for example stairway to heaven, just find out where the "E" shape pentatonic scale fits in, and for SWTH, it fits in at the 5th fret, which is A.
Gear
MIM Stratocaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups
VOX Valvetronix AD15
BOSS Blues Driver
VOX V847 Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Well you could tab out the song and see the notes that are in it or you could find a tab and look at the notes in it. Then you figure out what key has those notes I suppose. Then you use that scale to solo.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo