So I'm finally going to start learning to play actual music (I've been drumming for 4.5 years, har har). I've done my research and I'm almost ready to order some stuff... In my MusiciansFriend shopping cart is:

Ibanez RG321 w/ Planet Waves accessory pack - $289.98
Roland Cube 15 1x8" 15W Guitar Combo Amp - $95.00
Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner - $19.95
D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Super Light Electric Guitar Strings 3-Pack - $9.99
Dunlop Tortex Standard Picks .73MM 1 Dozen - $2.99
Levy's Leather Adjustable Strap - $12.99
Musician's Friend Elite Series Electric Guitar Gig Bag Black - 19.99
Musician's Friend Tubular Guitar Stand Black - $7.99

total: $458.88

How does that look? What am I missing, what's a waste of money, ect. Please keep in mind that I'm not going to be playing lead for a metal band any time soon.

anyway. Tell me what you think..
Last edited by FBS at Jul 30, 2006,
Well you're going to need a bigger/better amp if you're going to be playing lead for a metal band...

Also, if you're going to be in a band that plays in all sorts of drop tunings and stuff, even drop D, you'll need something heavier guage in the string department.
edited for your convenience, I apologize if that wasn't clear enough...
Ibanez RG's are decent guitars so no problems there.. what comes with the Planet Waves Accesory pack?

You'll figure out the thickness of picks that suit you sooner or later, so try alot of things out and not just the .73s (although im using 73s now).

The Cube series are great amps for their price.

Personally I would never use Super Lights but it all depends on what kind of music you play (it would help if you specified in your post ).
He said he's NOT going to be playing in a metal band. But yea, most stuff sounds pretty good for a beginner. Waste of money?? How bout the cable and tuner. They come in the accessory package you mentioned. Not too bright my man.

Ibanez RG321 w/ Planet Waves accessory pack - $289.98 - Good starter guitar
Roland Cube 30W - 225$ - MUCH better amp with more features. Perfect for a metal guitarist. It costs a little more, but the wattage and the features are more than worth it
Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner - $19.95
D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Super Light Electric Guitar Strings 3-Pack - $9.99
Pro Co Lifelines Instrument Cable 10 Foot - $16.99 - Pretty sure your guitar pack comes with a cable
Dunlop Tortex Standard Picks .73MM 1 Dozen - $2.99
Levy's Leather Adjustable Strap - $12.99
Musician's Friend Elite Series Electric Guitar Gig Bag Black - 19.99
Musician's Friend Tubular Guitar Stand Black - $7.99

It might cost more for the amp, but if you really think you're going to get into guitar for good, this is a good amp you can stick with for practicing purposes for a long time.
Gear
MIM Stratocaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups
VOX Valvetronix AD15
BOSS Blues Driver
VOX V847 Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
The Planet Waves pack includes "string winder/cutter, chordmaster chord dictionary, 20 ft cable, and microfiber polishing cloth." For $10 over the RG alone it's a great deal.

I'm mostly going to be playing metal, but I'm into a lot of stuff. I'm just worried about my soft drummer's fingers...

Waste of money?? How bout the cable and tuner. They come in the accessory package you mentioned. Not too bright my man.

I caught the cable and edited my original post, but there's no tuner in the accessory pack.
Quote by FBS
The Planet Waves pack includes "string winder/cutter, chordmaster chord dictionary, 20 ft cable, and microfiber polishing cloth." For $10 over the RG alone it's a great deal.

I'm mostly going to be playing metal, but I'm into a lot of stuff. I'm just worried about my soft drummer's fingers...

I caught the cable and edited my original post.

I was just about to say...
Sorry, in the picture, that chordmaster looks like a tuner. And I would also suggest getting a bigger amp if you can afford it. The smaller ones are less clear and not as full sounding. Good luck with everything.
Looks good to me. I use super Ernie ball super slinky strings cuz im hardcore. Picks i use really thin ones cuz im hardcore. Guitar i use Gibson LP cuz im hardcore, amps i use JCM 800 with 1960A Cab cuz im hardcore.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
For practicing and learning a bigger amp is a total waste. 15 watts is just fine.
The Roland Microcube might be a better way to go. I think it has a number of
effects builtin (that the Roland Cube 15 doesn't). Plus it's portable and runs on
batteries. Very nice little practice amp. only $20 more.
ummm you'd might want to consider buying a metronome, though since you've been playing drums for so long you might just be a walking metronome, its good for reference/practise though. And I'd suggest Dimarzio Cliplock over the strap you listed. Have you considered a Vox amp? If you stick with a Cube I'd suggest going bigger than 15, 30 W at least
Quote by Pulling Teeth
ummm you'd might want to consider buying a metronome, though since you've been playing drums for so long you might just be a walking metronome, its good for reference/practise though. And I'd suggest Dimarzio Cliplock over the strap you listed. Have you considered a Vox amp? If you stick with a Cube I'd suggest going bigger than 15, 30 W at least

I've already got a metronome, but I will take a look at that strap. Thanks..
+1 for the Roland 30watt. Nice amp, actually gets fairly loud (for a practice amp). It's what I'd go for if I was buying a beginner setup. Other than that, you're looking good. I'd recommend buying a more varied selection of plectrums though. I find myself picking different plectrums for different music. (Heavier for hard rock/metal or lead, lighter for rhythm work/softer rock)
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I bought the Cube 30. Everything should be here this week.
i Prefer Ernie Ball Regular slinky strings in not the D'Addario EXL120
I started with the D'Addario EXL120 to and the Ernie Balls are mutch better
Very long life and great for drop tune's like Drop D and 1/2 and 1 step down,...
GEAR:
AMP: Peavey Special 130 Solo series(130W)
Guitar: Jackson JS30
Pedals: Digitech Metal Master
Picks: Dunlop lucky 13 Picks 0.73
Strings: Ernieball Power Slinky (11-48)
Last edited by Cryp at Aug 1, 2006,
Quote by CowboyUp
Good deal. You're getting a WAY better start than most people do.

yeah, i started with a marshall MG10CD
I don't find that any of the Roland Cube's are good. I have played one, and I found it to be awful sounding. I'm not gonna recommend an amp though because I can only recommend (with experience and knowledge) expensive/larger amps.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Cryp
i Prefer Ernie Ball Regular slinky strings in not the D'Addario EXL120
I started with the D'Addario EXL120 to and the Ernie Balls are mutch better
Very long life and great for drop tune's like Drop D and 1/2 and 1 step down,...

Are you kidding me? I broke Ernie Balls (.011" scale) like once or twice a month. Worst strings I've ever played. I've had my last set of D'Addarios (same thickness) on for about 4 months now. No problems whatsoever.

(Sorry for the double post)
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.