Ok so i dont get when i see these in a tab(E5/Eb E5/D).... what do i play?
one, the other... or mabye both... somehow...?

can someone give me a helping hand?
Well you play an E5 chord (0-2-X-X-X-X) with a Eb bass note, then an E5 with a D bass note so you can

Drop D and play (1-2-X-X-X-X) and then (0-2-X-X-X-X)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
E5 is a power chord, Eb means E flat, E/D means Eb or D#(they're the same)
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Powerchord :A basic chord, root on the letter before the 5, then two more notes on the next two strings, fretting two frets ahead of the root [i.e. E5 with a root on the 6th string in standard tuning [e] would be 022, get it? It gets the name "(root) 5" because its not a traditional chord, but rather, the root, the fifth interval and the root again.

EDIT: after reading the posts, seems I made a mistake. Not common but you take the root notes of the name before the slash and replace it with what's after the slash. I think. I'm not too familiar with chord inversions, haven't used them much. I think you keep the same fingering as the normal chord, except the lowest note is now what's after the slash.
Last edited by Pulling Teeth at Jul 31, 2006,
The powerchord for clarity is not a chord but an interval. And usually the / is said "E5 over E Flat", I don't believe its a progression as Pulling Teeth does.

Quote by myself101
E/D means Eb or D#(they're the same)

I'm not sure I'm reading that correctly, but an E/D does not mean Eb or D#, it means E over D

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
k... **** basically all i needed to know if you make them into one chord or if you just play 2 chords...
**** you guys confuse me
Drop D and Play these two intervals seprately

e|--------
B|--------
G|--------
D|-2--2---
A|-2--2---
D|-1--0---

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

Pulling Teeth, your right on the chord inversion of the /, that following note is the new bass note, but its really not that uncommon

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

Pulling Teeth, your right on the chord inversion of the /, that following note is the new bass note, but its really not that uncommon

I've never seen it in the stuff I play, or maybe I've never been reading/looking for it before, my bad.
You people sure know how to talk confusing. I'll try and explain it better.

E5/Eb Means play an E5 chord with a Eb bass note. E5/D means play an E5 chord with a D bass note. A bass note, basically, being the lowest note you're playing.

You can't get an Eb or D on the E string though because it doesn't go low enough. Therefore you need to tune it down to a D, which you can tell as it should sound the same but an octave lower than your regular D string. So once you are tuned to DADGBe, you can just play it as horazonblade tabbed - just 2 easy chords.
Quote by bouncingbassist
You can't get an Eb or D on the E string though because it doesn't go low enough. Therefore you need to tune it down to a D, which you can tell as it should sound the same but an octave lower than your regular D string. So once you are tuned to DADGBe, you can just play it as horazonblade tabbed - just 2 easy chords.

Or you could just voice it as

e|-----
B|-----
G|-----
D|--13-
A|--13-
E|--11-

or some other voicing.

-SD
"E5/Eb"? Sounds like a retarded powerchord to me. E-B-Eb? That's a susb9.
Looking for my India/Django.