Poll: What is your favorite style of punk?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your favorite style of punk?
Proto-punk (The Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls, etc.)
15 8%
'77 (The Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, the Dead Boys, etc.)
40 20%
Pop-punk (The Ramones, Descendents, Mr. T Experience, etc.)
31 16%
Crust (Aus-Rotten, Resistant Culture, Mutual Assured Destruction, etc.)
3 2%
Anarcho (Conflict, Crass, Rudimentary Peni, etc.)
7 4%
Oi! (**** Sparrer, Blitz, the Business)
5 3%
New York Hardcore (Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, Madball
3 2%
HarDCore (Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Government Issue, etc.)
28 14%
Skatepunk/SoCal Punk (JFA, Bad Religion, the Faction, etc.)
35 18%
Other
30 15%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 4
Hardcore punk and emo
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Proto-punk, and '77. The old school did it best.

(I voted Proto because I loves my Stooges.)
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Jul 31, 2006,
Definitely London's punk scene of the late 70s, Sex pistols, Clash, Jam, Buzzcocks, Damned (I'm pretty sure the damned were brits), though Supergrass from the 90s are great too.
I put other since there no clear favorite for me right now. I like a bunch of different styles but if I can find more artists in the subgenre I think my favorite type will end up being gypsy punk.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
I picked Pop-Punk.

Most of my favorite punk bands turn out to be Second Generatio pop-punk.

But atleast it still has the word punk in it.
skate punk and pop punk

and wheer would you say the dead kennedys fit in?
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

can't go past the ramones.

sex pistols are good too...
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Post-punk.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Skate punk, but it was a really hard decision.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
I chose other because there's a few good bands that didn't fit under those categories.
Quote by sargasm
I like Sludge because it has a silly name.

Haha but when you visualize it with the music it makes total sense.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
Haha but when you visualize it with the music it makes total sense.

Well when you say it like that, it's probably something I will avoid at all costs.

Mine would be pop punk, because I lurv the Descendents and the Queers.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
^I don't listen to punk, so I have nothing to contribute.

Except the mention of the Descendants forced me to post. I heard one of their songs called 'Original Me' yesterday - it rawks.

That is all
Johnny boy, I highly suggest you further your interest in the Descendents. They are a safe bet for a good listen for most music fans.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
does rise against fall under skatepunk/social punk ?
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
Quote by waterproofpie
Johnny boy, I highly suggest you further your interest in the Descendents. They are a safe bet for a good listen for most music fans.

Perhaps I will... I was over at a friends house listening to a 'Punk-O-Rama 6' CD - 'Original Me' and 'Let Me In' (By the Beatsteaks?) were the only two songs that caught my... ear. What kind of punk is this style classified under?

I have some free time this afternoon - so give me a few Descendant recommendations and Johnny boy will further his interest in the Descendants, illegaly.
Milo Goes to College is what people usually get first, but i've never heard a Descendents album I didn't like (except ALL related stuff)

If you want more info PM me or bump an old Descendents thread around here . But back to the topic!
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by chillie pepper
skate punk and pop punk

and wheer would you say the dead kennedys fit in?

I guess they'd go in hardcore, but I couldn't put in California hardcore because you can only have 10 options.

Quote by Pandrew947
does rise against fall under skatepunk/social punk ?

To be honest, I wouldn't even put them in this forum, but I guess they'd be closest to skatepunk. And it's "SoCal", meaning "Southern California", not "social".
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Jul 31, 2006,
Hardcore, post and pop are my favourites (would probably say in that order as well).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It's hard to choose, i picked '77 but i dig hardcore and Oi! too.
I really can't choose what my favourite style of punk is because I enjoy bands from every category, although I guess I'll go with '77 because most of my favourites are '77.
uk82 but its not up there
Cos im an alcoholic,
And I just love the kick,
Im dribblin my words, got a glazy stare,
Cos im addicted to BEER!
Hardcore Punk FTW.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Quote by Johnljones7443

I have some free time this afternoon - so give me a few Descendant recommendations and Johnny boy will further his interest in the Descendants, illegaly.

Two Things at Once (because it has Milo Goes To College and Fat EP on one cd), Everything Sucks and Cool To Be You are all good.
But seriously folks, I like what The Epoxies and Polysics play.

Post New Wave or whatever you want to call it.
Page 1 of 4