I just got a gibson sg standard, and i jsut had a couple questions

1. isn't it supposed to stay in tune? ive played it for probably a total of 16 hours in the last three days so i dont think its the strings

2. are the strings that came on it crap? is that why it has intonation and tuning problems right out of the box?

3. why was the ebony one cheaper than the other two? is it less quality or what?
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
no its just that they feel like they can charge more for a color so they do
im prety sure they are the same, about other stuff idk

i would proly change strings
You could have got a lemon.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
it's probably the strings, you should change them, that should fix the problem, if it doesn't, then send it back, you should have gotten a warranty, most gibson's come with one, i think
sg standards *usually* come outa the box set up real nicely... and the strings arent great... but they arent terrible... and should be just fine til they wear out... but... its completely possible you got a lemon... i'd say... send it back and get another one... say theres alotta problems with it or something... i dno
hmm when u say lemon i take it that means bad, so should i just try getting new strings first or what, plus i have to fly home with this in two days so if it breakls on the plane im screwed right
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
3) Because the other 2 paintjobs are more expensive to do.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
yeah ur screwed if it breaks on the plane... so honestly i'd say it isnt the strnigs... its gotta be a rare guitar they happened to screw up... which is what a lemon is...
well i also haven't really gotten to play it through an amp yet either, couldn't it just sound bad because its by itself
Quote by MightyAl

]
i dont have my receipt (???) though can i still get my warranty and ****
Quote by MightyAl

]
1. It could be the nut. Put your brand and gauge of strings on first and see if the nut is cut properly for each string.
2. I actually liked those Brite Wires that came on it (though I've switched them for my usual Dean markleys). I had to check the intonation too on my SG, but that's done easily.
3. No it's not less quality, the natural burst one is more expensive because it's a burst and therefore has more work into it, the heritage cherry is more expensive because it's a transparent colour (the natural burst is too I think). All in all the ebony version just takes less work to paint.
yeah acually the tuners on standards arent really that great, but you can get good ones for like $30-$40, and also the intonation could have gotten slightly screwed up during shipping, which has happened to stuff ive ordered set up befpre.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Why did you buy it if it was like that then?

But, you could change the strings and tuners and adjust intonation, and you'll be set.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Let's face it: the SG never was the best of guitars. Too light, too thin, too cheap. Just feel the neck of a Les Paul and you'll know what I mean.
The strings electric guitars come with are usually too light. You want no extra light, no ultra light. Gibson play best with light gauge strings (.010), and so do most well-built guitars, electric of acoustic.
A real Gibson should be fitted with Schaller or Grover tuners, the Schallers usually with the name Gibson on it. If your instrument has different tuners, get yourself new ones.
Quote by AHK
Let's face it: the SG never was the best of guitars. Too light, too thin, too cheap. Just feel the neck of a Les Paul and you'll know what I mean.
The strings electric guitars come with are usually too light. You want no extra light, no ultra light. Gibson play best with light gauge strings (.010), and so do most well-built guitars, electric of acoustic.
A real Gibson should be fitted with Schaller or Grover tuners, the Schallers usually with the name Gibson on it. If your instrument has different tuners, get yourself new ones.

SG's are actually great guitars
Quote by Guitargod1217
SG's are actually great guitars

Wow. You sure showed him.

To the threadstarter, have you tried restringing it?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Why didn't you extensively try it before investing? Don't say you did because clearly you didn't.
It sounds as if a set-up is in order. IMO you should still have it set-up, makes for better playing.
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
maybe you should try playing it through an amp before you send it back, if you have a case, then you shouldn't have to worry as much about it getting messed up on the plane
new strings, and adjust the action or just get it professionally set up, the Kluson tuners on some Gibsons are pretty cheap but i think standard usually come with Grovers but i may be wrong, and new strings can go out of tune easily because they need to stretch a little before they become stable
ok ive been playing this guitar for a while now, i changeed the strings and my intonation problems got worse like even more out of tune and stuff,

heres the problem:

when the guitar is completely in tune the harmonics are in tune to, but when i press down its out of tune completely like almost a quarter step not as much on some strings. can this be fixed?

my dad and i were just thinking about sending in the warranty and taking it in to my local guitar store to see what they think, should i just ask them to set it up? or ...? i recently put locking tuners on another one of my guitars could i take these off of that guitar and put it on my gibson?
Quote by MightyAl

]
theres nothing wrong with it its new so the strings will be stretching so after u have playes it foe a while and the strings have worn down a bit it willbe fine
zakk wylde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
when the guitar is completely in tune the harmonics are in tune to, but when i press down its out of tune completely like almost a quarter step not as much on some strings. can this be fixed?

this is your intonation and yes normally this can be fixed.
Stretch the strings out a fair amount. Grab first at the 12th fret or so, pinch and pull up the string by the pickups and keep doing that while moving your left hand down the neck.

If that doesn't work, restring it with a differant gauge of string and adjust the intonation. I never use the stock strings that come on a guitar.
First: get your guitar set up proper. All factory set ups are sub par, no matter what anyone else says. It needs to be properly intonated and set up by a real guitar tech.

Second: stretch the strings out quite a bit (the new ones the tech put on, which should be high quality strings you pick out), and tune. The stretch and tune again. And again. After three or four strectchings and fine tunings your tuning should stick longer.

Third: actually this should be second. get a set of original grovers put on instead of the crappy kluson, vintage green key tuners that Gibson insists on putting on every guitar, even though they blow butt, and even epiphone uses grovers. Gibson threw away the memo that said grovers are better.

Fourth: it is a known and accepted fact that the G string on every Gibson and epiphone will be the first string to go out of tune. its something about the way the carve the nut, the G string always slips first. So there is nothing wrong with your specific guitar if this happens.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
I dont know I wouldnt fool around with a guitar that expensive, I say if you can afford a gibson you can probably afford to have it proffesionally set up.

But it is a pity that if someome stepped on the neck and broke it it would be ruined
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
i got new strings on it already but i havent gotten it set up, they were really good strings to dammit, is there any way they could set the intonation without changing the strings, and does the intonation change with different gauges of strings?
Quote by MightyAl

]
just send it back straight away if you payed that kinda money for a guitar it should be a quality instrument. Just send it back and don't make any changes
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
you can leave the strings on I think

maybe this will help : http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm

edit : this will help for sure http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Electric_Guitar_Intonation.htm

"12th Fret Plays Sharp - move the saddle away from the fingerboard
12th Fret Plays Flat - move the saddle closer to the fingerboard"
Last edited by JorisBlack at Aug 11, 2006,