The first is Floyd Rose related.
I tune it to just flat from being dead-on. Then I lock the nut, and go to tune up.
I tune, but, by the time I get the strings back to just below dead-on, (they flatten as I tune the others up... =[ ) the fine-tuners are all the way in. It's a brand new set of strings. I just put them on yesterday... Can someone help me?

Now, question number two.
I wanna learn to play some Van Halen songs.
Can anybody find tabs of the following songs in standard tuning? Can they even be played in standard tuning? Or am I sunk?
"Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"
"You Really Got Me"
"Eruption"
"Hot For Teacher"
"Panama"
"The Best Of Both Worlds"
"It's About Time"

Any help on either question would be very much appreciated. More than you'll ever know. Thank you for your time, even if you can't help me.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
well as for van halen songs the only one i know is the intro to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"

and i know the rhythm guitar to you really got me....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
I know for a fact that Panama, Ain't talkin' 'Bout love and Hot for Teacher can all be played in standard tuning. I bet some of the others can too.

Actually, it'd be hard to play Talkin' 'Bout Love without standard tuning.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I have no clue about FRs, but You Really Got Me, Eruption, Hot For Teacher, Panama and Best Of Both Worlds tabs are all on here and all in standard.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
I have no clue about FRs, but You Really Got Me, Eruption, Hot For Teacher, Panama and Best Of Both Worlds tabs are all on here and all in standard.

Well, crap. I got the album tabs to "The Best Of Both Worlds", and they were all in Eb... Dammit. That was kinda dumb... I know the intro to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" in standard, but, my tabs that I got, not knowing that they're for Eb, don't do me any good...
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
tried streching the strings? some people don't "like doing it" but i find that after i do, when replacing strings, they stay in tune forever! (not really, but if you streach them a few times when you put a string in, it'll stay in tune way longer, in my experience)
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Quote by RelientKaddict
I tune it to just flat from being dead-on. Then I lock the nut, and go to tune up.
I tune, but, by the time I get the strings back to just below dead-on, (they flatten as I tune the others up... =[ ) the fine-tuners are all the way in. It's a brand new set of strings. I just put them on yesterday... Can someone help me?

Can anybody find tabs of the following songs in standard tuning? Can they even be played in standard tuning? Or am I sunk?
"You Really Got Me"
"Eruption"
"Hot For Teacher"
"Panama"
"It's About Time"

Any help on either question would be very much appreciated. More than you'll ever know. Thank you for your time, even if you can't help me.

They can't be played in standard tuning in the same key, but I play them the same in standard tuning since I couldn't care less and they sound fine in standard.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by God Am
They can't be played in standard tuning in the same key, but I play them the same in standard tuning since I couldn't care less and they sound fine in standard.

well, they can if you have a 7 string and you play that eB on the 7th string instead of open, but thats a pain.
Quote by Shooshooky
tried streching the strings? some people don't "like doing it" but i find that after i do, when replacing strings, they stay in tune forever! (not really, but if you streach them a few times when you put a string in, it'll stay in tune way longer, in my experience)

I stretched 'em. Alot. Didn't help much. I already did it, and I still can't get it tuned.
Not with the fine tuners anyway, but, if I use the tuners at the headstock, the strings go sharp when I clamp 'em.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

To question 1
When you lock the nut, it presses against the string so they go sharp, that's why they have string retainer bars to prevent that from happening, slanted headstocks also prevent that from happening.
Quote by Invictious
To question 1
When you lock the nut, it presses against the string so they go sharp, that's why they have string retainer bars to prevent that from happening, slanted headstocks also prevent that from happening.

My guitar has both. However, that isn't helping much. It goes just sharp enough for it to sound out of tune. Dammit!
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

Quote by El Codyo
Have you tried clamping them, then tuning down with the fine tuners? Has The Floyd been properly set up?

Yes, I tried that. Then it just sends all of the other strings way out, even when I cross tune. I set up the Floyd. I've done a dozen set ups, but not a Floyd. I do know how to do it though. I've checked, rechecked, and checked again, for every single FR quirk that I know of, and I can't find any reason why it's doing what it's doing... I just finally got it in tune... Without the fine tuners... Now I can't tune down, at all... The fine tuners are all the way out...
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

Quote by RelientKaddict

"You Really Got Me"
"Eruption"
"Hot For Teacher"
"Panama"
"It's About Time"

I have one more question... Can anybody tell me how the hell I'm supposed to play the tapping on the intro solo to "Hot For Teacher"? The notes look impossible to play that way...
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

Rather than triple posting you could just use the edit button ya know. Anyways, hf and be patient.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------

If the problem still persist, you'd need to change the 3 springs at the back or at least try to set it up in a different position. Also, it always helps if you lubricate your trem posts using chapstick/lipbalm to ensure maximum return-back of your trem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Rather than triple posting you could just use the edit button ya know. Anyways, hf and be patient.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------

If the problem still persist, you'd need to change the 3 springs at the back or at least try to set it up in a different position. Also, it always helps if you lubricate your trem posts using chapstick/lipbalm to ensure maximum return-back of your trem.

And again, madpickin copies and pastes this information, probably for his 400th time.
Quote by madpickin03

Tuning Floyd Rose:
5) Be patient

I got them just a tiny bit flat. Just a little bit. Sounds good compared to my Strat that I just tuned, so I'm okay there. Now, I've encountered about half of the Floyd Rose related quirks and problems out there. I'm a self-taught Luthier in training. This was my first FR setup. I only have one word to describe it. "DAAAAAAAAAMN!" That's it.

I have fixed every other guitar problem I've ever had. I'm about to buy my own tools, and start doing nut and fret work. Don't ever say "I'm gonna start doin' nut jobs." because people will take it the wrong way, unless they're a hardcore guitar freak like I am. I understood it, my musician friends understood it, everyone else is like "You're gonna do WHAT!?" Sorry for the randomness. Just, remember this... I learned that lesson the hard way. I'm just tryin' to save everyone else some trouble.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain