I want some new pickups for my Epi SG, I'm thinking about an Emg 81 and 85, PRS tremonti's, or an seymour duncan SH-8 Invader in the bridge but I don't kno what I would put in the neck. I love the sound of Synyster Gate's guitar from Avenged Sevenfold so I'm leading more towards the SH-8 Invader in the bridge. Should I get another SH-8 in the neck or something else, I heard that they're not too good for the neck, so maybe a SH-6 Duncan Distortion would work. I also wanna play mainly metal, but maybe some punk. And out of the ones I'm thinking about getting, is the SH-8 and SH-6 good choice, and if u say no, can u give a reason please.

And also, if I get change the pickups, knobs, tuning machines, will there b still b difference between a gibson and an epi. Keep in mind that I don't want my guitar 2 sound or look like stock gibson.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 31, 2006,
well, the invader sucks (in my opinion). horrible cleans, horrible muddy distortion. awful.

why do you want a high output neck pickup? wouldn't you be using it mostly for cleans anyway?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I heard that the SH-8 has bad cleans and highs, and I heard the SH-6 is better for that
if you want high output passive humbuckers id reccomend a Gibson 500T/496R set they are really hot but they dont sound muddy and have decent cleans and are all in all way better than Invaders or EMGs
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm not really interested in gibsons, I got the epi so I could change everything, but not into a gibson
have you ever heard those pickups? they dont sound like regular Gibson pickups at all. But if you for whatever reason insist on not using Gibson products id reccomend Swinesheads.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you want high output passive humbuckers id reccomend a Gibson 500T/496R set they are really hot but they dont sound muddy and have decent cleans and are all in all way better than Invaders or EMGs

Ill seocnd that, i have the 496r in my epi V and im putting the 500T in tonight they are AWESOME insane output for a passive set of pups
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
ok if you want metal and are set on DUncans i suggest The Full Shred it is a very good pick up one of the only good ones they make. then i would pair it with a Jazz in the neck or a 59 or a pearly gates those should all be good in the neck.

the invader blows its muddy horrible cleans the only reason gates tone is even considerably mediocre is because he is playing through a bogner any other amp and it would sound like crap. the SH-6 in the neck is a horrible idea its to hot even as a bridge pick up it is sub par.

So my suggestion is a FUll shred in the bridge and a 59 in the neck it seems to be the best combination. also the full shred makes a neck version to but im not so sure on how good it is.

Also dont be so narrow minded as to not look into gibson pick ups just because Gibson makes them they are actually very good pick ups. and if you didn want your guitar to be like a gibson you wouldnt have bought a SG it has Gibson written all over it besides the LP it is there most famous model
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I want it on the record that I don't like the gibson 500T and 496R ceramic pickups and nor do I recommend them, but if you want to try them, several Gibson models come with them stock, if you can get to Gibson Dealer.

I think the Les Paul Classic, and the Flying V (maybe the explorer as well. but I'm not certain) has them stock.

www.gibson.com
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats easy Dave Suggests Bareknucke pickups or Swinesheads
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
yeah swinesheads are nice but unfortunately you cant really try them on anything since you have to get them mailorder from the UK.

Last.fm
Thanx 4 suggesting Swinesheads, I've listened 2 them and they are the best I've heard so far, best looking too. So I think I want a Condor neck and either a Venom or Warthog bridge. Does that sound good?
well, bear in mind, from all acounts (i.e. from people who have both swineys and bareknuckles) that bareknuckles are better. but they are twice as dear. that being said, swineys still kick the ass of pretty much any pickup you can try in a shop (EDIT: maybe bar the odd boutique pickup like lollar that some really cool shops might have). Bareknuckle are also supposed to have some new official soundclips- all the pickups in the same guitar, through the same amp with the same settings, to let you hear the difference. But that was meant to be up in May. I'd assume it should be up soon, but you never know- apparently it's more work than they anticipated. But yeah, my basic argument here is that just because a lot of the BK clips suck, doesn't mean the pickups do...

anyway, I have the warthog and condor, it sounds great. the condor is very vintage sounding- even with loads of distortion, it sounds smooth, a bit like slash.

the warthog is great for everything classic rock and heavier. if you ONLY play metal, then there are better pickups solely aimed at metal, but if you play (like me) a mixture of classic rock, hard rock, shred and metal with your bridge pickup, the warthog is great.

I haven't tried the venom, but being ceramic, it should be more metal. It'll also be a bit brighter/treblier in tone, I'd have thought.

Up to you, really. if you aren't sure (heck, even if you are) email swineshead to see what they suggest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?