so i recently bought a b.c. rich electric guitar and i bought a tuning lock with it. i don't know how to assemble a tuning lock on a guitar so i was hoping that either you guyz could give me a detailed description or give a link with one on how to assemble a tuning lock. the company or name of the tuning lock is call "G GOTOH" but i think most tuning locks are similar so different instructions shouldn't be much of a problem............................iv tried searching the web for this kinda stuff but didn't get any helpful results.............................................. so please help me out here...thanks
Locking nut? Or a locking tuning peg?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Quote by altarofdemise
Locking nut? Or a locking tuning peg?

not a tuning peg....im not sure wat you mean by tuning nut........ but a lil thing that somehow mounts on the neck of your guitar and the strings go through it so you have to take off your strings and if you want to tune you have to use a lil thing and loosen the lock.... then tune.... then tighten it back up................
You mean a Locking Nut, right?

I don't know how to install it, but I don't know why you would wany to install it, your guitar doesn't even have a trem, so new tuners would solve your problem better than a locking nut.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Yea, thats a locking nut. Im not totally sure, but wouldnt you have to replace the entire nut?
This is a locking nut:

Just tune your guitar, screw on the pressure pads with an allen wrench (after the pressure pads are on, you can use the fine tuners to retune your guitar without having to take them off.

This is a locking tuner:

Tune your guitar and turn the little wheel.

I hope this anwsers your question

If you on the other hand want to know how to install one on your guitar, check this out:
http://www.guitars101.com/vb/guitar-rack/14258-how-installing-floyd-rose.html
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
This is a locking nut:

Just tune your guitar, screw on the pressure pads with an allen wrench (after the pressure pads are on, you can use the fine tuners to retune your guitar without having to take them off.

This is a locking tuner:

If you on the other hand want to know how to install one on your guitar, check this out:

yeah...i suppose its a locking nut........kuz it looks like the one that you said is a locking nut (the black and white pictured one)..... so can anyone help me on how i put it on??? please........................
Quote by age12_guitarist
yeah...i suppose its a locking nut........kuz it looks like the one that you said is a locking nut (the black and white pictured one)..... so can anyone help me on how i put it on??? please........................

Dude, that's gonna take having wood taken off of the neck, so that you can put it in place... Most of them do.

Where are you at? I may be able to help. I just finished setting up my Floyd Rose system, which uses a locking nut, and locks at the bridge too. It even has 2 sets of tuners. It'll also take a hell of a beating and still stay in tune. Trust me. It'll take plenty. So, if you're not near a qualified Luthier, or me, then you'll have to hunt up someone who can handle the job... It's not an easy job either. If you mess up, it's messed up bigtime. Not for your average hobbyist.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
if you dont have a FR or something simmilar your guitar wont have fine tuners which makes a locking nut almost useless to you
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ExplorerFreak
If his name is correct, he is a 12 year-old... I'm not gonna say anything.

and your point?!?!?! so what if im 12.......wat does that matter to you...!?!?!?! just kuz you're waaaaaayyyyyyy older 12 seems like a lil kidz age or something...is that it...................dude...i may be 12 but i aint a du/\/\b@$$ or anythin!!! you should be more age friendly cause this is a age friendly message board ........................................................................................................................
.................................................................................ok... well would those instructions on the link be the same for a b.c. rich guitar that doesn't have a tremelo? so let me get things straight..to install a nut you gotta drill holes in your guitar at the neck and screw the nut on???
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you dont have a FR or something simmilar your guitar wont have fine tuners which makes a locking nut almost useless to you

how would it be useless.........wouldn't still keep the guitar in tune like for a long time???
Quote by age12_guitarist
and your point?!?!?! so what if im 12.......wat does that matter to you...!?!?!?! just kuz you're waaaaaayyyyyyy older 12 seems like a lil kidz age or something...is that it...................dude...i may be 12 but i aint a du/\/\b@$$ or anythin!!! you should be more age friendly cause this is a age friendly message board ........................................................................................................................
.................................................................................ok... well would those instructions on the link be the same for a b.c. rich guitar that doesn't have a tremelo? so let me get things straight..to install a nut you gotta drill holes in your guitar at the neck and screw the nut on???

Ok, most people on here wouldn't mind too much that you were twelve and on here, heck i'm only 15. But talking like that won't get you any respect at all.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
Quote by age12_guitarist

Dude, chill, I'm only 13 man, I've been on these boards and nobody cares or even can tel a difference. Maybe your name wasn't such a wise choice, because in one year it won't seem as good as when you registered here. Also, it really helps if you use actual english and proper capitalization.

You don't have to drill holes in your neck for normal nuts, but yours is locking. So yes, you will have to drill holes in your guitar. I highly recommend taking it to a shop seeing as its very easy to mess up your guitar.
Take it to a shop trust us don't try it yourself.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by age12_guitarist
how would it be useless.........wouldn't still keep the guitar in tune like for a long time???

when you lock the nut after tuning, it throws the guitar slightly out of tune, you need fine tuners to correct this, without them you wont be able to play in tune with the locking nut.

Last.fm
Quote by Bonsaischaap
This is a locking nut:

This is a locking tuner:

f*** you, thats my link!

Your locking nut woulnd't fit, so you'd have to rout or file off some chunk.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when you lock the nut after tuning, it throws the guitar slightly out of tune, you need fine tuners to correct this, without them you wont be able to play in tune with the locking nut.

this is true, it will throw it slightly out of tune, and without the fine tuners you wont be able to play in tune so unless you install a Floyd or somethin, you should just stick with the stock nut or buy locking tuners
Gear

PRSCustom 24

Jackson DXMG w/ sh-13 dimebucker & sh12 jazz

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head and matching 4x12 cab

Hendrix dunlop Wah

TS-7 tube screamer
Quote by Mr.Norris
this is true, it will throw it slightly out of tune, and without the fine tuners you wont be able to play in tune so unless you install a Floyd or somethin, you should just stick with the stock nut or buy locking tuners

That's why there is a thing called 'String Retainer bar'
if you google that up you might jsut be able to find the function of that if you are smart enough.

If your headstock is slanted enough then you won't need the bar.
Point......Your guitar has no tremelo bridge known as Floyd Rose.....

Second Point.....The Locking nut you complaining about is not useful to you....

Third..... Is there anymore point to change the tuning pegs...?? Does it even hold tune??? If not then change them, if they work fine it shows how 12 year old act....

Last...... What BC rich?? *dies*
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
hahahahaha................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ this guy is officially................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ the................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ stupidest................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ person on UG. Seriously................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ check out his other threads.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

But mainly... You can't/ really don't want to/ shouldn't put a locking nut on a guitar without a Floyd.
Threadstarter, you're an idiot.

Take that locking nut back if you don't need it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah but come on guys give the kid a break, hes 12 and obviously very new to this, hell id hater to be a begginer and come to this site with questions like that.

Last.fm
Mail your locking nut here, seriously, to HOng Kong, i will pay for the shipping.

Seriously, he calls himself an intermediate guitarist.
Dear 12yr old.

To try to clear this up. A locking nut is to lock the strings so they don't go out of tune when you abuse the whammy bar. You don't need one as your guitar doesn't have a trem.... No really, don't fit it

By all means try to fit it if it's in your heart to do so. Just don't expect a serious reply when you then post asking how the hell you are supposed to tune it up without any way of tuning it up.
Quote by age12_guitarist

You bought a BC Rich, then a locking nut without even knowing what it was and that there are easier alternatives, not to mention that you spelling and grammar are atrocious. You're the stereotypical 12 year old.
Dickless.