I looked, didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

When using a capo, on say the 2nd fret, and you're playing a G, do you just put your fingers on 300033?

I really need to know, please help!
it would change to

or 522255, for the way you showed in the example

edit: and i dont even have a capo!
Quote by AC/DC10
it would change to

or 522255, for the way you showed in the example

edit: and i dont even have a capo!

I don't have one either, but I've been considering buying one.
When you use a capo, it barres the whole fret and raises the pitch of the whole guitar. All it does is act like the nut of your guitar. If you put the capo on the second fret, it's the same as having the nut on the second fret. Your open low E string will be an F# instead of an E. Therefore, the fingering for a G chord is the same, only you would finger it on the fifth fret, i.e. 540055. The fingering is the same as a G, but the chord's pitch (in your case) will be an A.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Last edited by breadfan82 at Jul 31, 2006,
Think of the capo as the new nut. Where the capo is, is where the 1st fret is. easy as pie
Think of the capo acting as a nut.

If it is on the second fret for example, your 5th fret now becomes your 3rd fret. Since it is 3 frets away from the capo.
you've all said the same thing lol, AC/DC10 has been the only one to actually answer the question.

I use my capo quite a bit but i dont really bother learning the new chord shapes, here comes the sun is a good one O_O
Just whack it on and start jammin' dude.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by breadfan82
When you use a capo, it barres the whole fret and raises the pitch of the whole guitar. All it does is act like the nut of your guitar. If you put the capo on the second fret, it's the same as having the nut on the second fret. Your open low E string will be an F# instead of an E. Therefore, the fingering for a G chord is the same, only you would finger it on the fifth fret, i.e. 540055. The fingering is the same as a G, but the chord's pitch (in your case) will be an A.

one mistake here, it´s not 540055 but 542255
Capo on 2nd fret, you play everything in relative to the capo. I use it if i write something and i cant sing that low, so i'll snap it on the 1st fret and play it exactly the same in relative to the capo and it raises the pitch so i can sing it , bam!

but g with capo on 2nd fret is really A
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by fafinaf
Think of the capo as the new nut. Where the capo is, is where the 1st fret is. easy as pie

Thank you, this really made sense of everything.
You fret everything relative from the capo. With a capo on the third fret, what is usually the fourth becomes the "new" first fret and so on.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Mattitude V1
I looked, didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

When using a capo, on say the 2nd fret, and you're playing a G, do you just put your fingers on 300033?

I really need to know, please help!

People almost always give chords as if the capo was the nut of the guitar. So any chord you form normally would just move up in front of where the capo is instead of where the nut is.

G is 320033

With the capo at the 2nd fret the G shaped chord technically becomes 542255, but it is still 320033 relative to the capo.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
The trick to remember with a capo is NOT to put it on your testicles. I learned the hard way...

Other than that, everyone's already said everything that needs to be said. Enjoy the capo.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas